Ripped-off on a S&W 629-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time you buy off Gunbroker you pay your money and take your chances. I've bought 3 or 4 guns and I have been a little disappointed with a couple, you take your lumps and go on. You are taking a chance any time you buy thru GB.

Bill DeShivs is quite correct regarding sideplates, I have been through the S&W revolver school on two occasions and each time we started with a frame that had the side plate marked with an assembly number for that weapon only and pre fitted before we began building. We were advised the sideplate was machined to give a flawless fit, we were also informed of the proper way to remove and install same...a crowbar was not part of the tool kit!
If tightening the screws did not correct perceived problems I would submit the pistol to S&W for repairs where you will get quality work for your buck.

Last edited:
This is why I never buy on line. Local gun shop only where I can see and handle before I buy. ;)
Never had a problem....:cool:

That's great if you have a LGS with a great selection at good prices. Not all of us have that luxury, unfortunately.

Now Bill, I am willing to bet that there are a LOT of folks who do not know the proper way to remover a sideplate, or that you shouldn't be using your Craftsman screwdrivers on gun screws..... ;)

Flight Medic isn't a daily visitor, and never has been.
He'll be back. Have patience.

Dude, focus. :rolleyes:

Flight Medic took the seller-dude for a ride. He won't be back. :eek:

Best believe that things got made right, .... with cash, or otherwise. :confused:

I've bought a number of firearms on gunbroker and really no problems yet. I bought those guns on line because no dealer would stock what I needed when I was still competing. However if I was looking for something common like a 629 and wanted a show piece, you need to see that first hand before you buy and should be able to find that locally IMHO.

Never bought firearms off gunstroker, NEVER will. I'm not highly educated on guns, but I have enough fundamental knowledge to spot issues. I always view before I buy. Plenty of reputable LGS's in my area, and yes I pay a bit more, but if there's an issue I have a face and a name to deal with.

There is a particular gun that I like, it is a $100 gun from back in the 80’s,, I like it and have many.. I have bought them all off Gunbroker and have been VERY pleased,,,,Yes there are some sellers who think the gun is worth $225 ,,, and they never sell.

Bill DeShivs said:
Notice the OP has not been back to this thread?
He must have figured out how to tighten the sideplate screws

Bill, I guess its hard to tell from a photo, so here is a copy of the letter from the Armorer of my FFL dealer that received the revolver.

January 6, 2019

Mr. [omitted],

After inspecting the Smith & Wesson 629-1 .44 magnum revolver you purchased from BB Guns / Brothers Firearm Shop that was received at our location on January 2, 2019, (serial number ACR1343) it is my professional opinion that this revolver is unsafe to fire in its current condition due to a bulging/creased side plate.

The side plate is bulging out at the lower rear corner of the frame near the trigger guard so much that it has caused a crease in the plate. This bulge is right where the trigger pin (or hand pin) inserts into the trigger. I have not disassembled the side plate to see why this has occurred, per your instructions, but this is most likely from the revolver being disassembled and then reassembled incorrectly with the trigger/hand pin not inserted correctly or all the way into the trigger so it sits flush. When the side plate was then reinstalled and tightened down with the external screws, the plate pushed against the exposed portion of the pin, causing the side plate to bulge out and crease as the external screws were tightened. There are also circular scratches surrounding these external screws, which indicates that a screwdriver that was too wide for the screws was used, which resulted in the finish scratches.

I would not recommend attempting to shoot this firearm without having a licensed gunsmith or Smith & Wesson remove the side plate and inspect the firearm. My main concern is that this bulge/blemish is obviously due to someone who is not qualified to work on this gun disassembling the firearm and then incorrectly assembling it, which could possibly result in catastrophic damage if there was other incorrect work done on the internals of this revolver.

Please let me know if you would like any other information regarding this firearm.

Sincerely,

[omitted]

Its not loose, its damaged.

Sorry for the hiatus, recovering from the holidays.

I did dispute this with my CC company and they gave me a "provisional credit" for the purchase amount while they investigate the dispute. So, in the mean time, I'm not responsible for any interest accrued or for making the revolving charge payment. However, it will still ultimately be incumbent upon me to prove fraud, and I'm told that can be very tricky when it comes to the condition of used and vintage items. The letter from S&W will be my saving grace, I believe.

Speaking of...the gun was shipped to S&W from my FFL on January 10th. S&W emailed me a pre-paid shipping label that morning (which I forwarded to my FFL) and they have agreed to expedite the examination process to help me out...the S&W CS rep said she would "personally walk it back to Performance Shop". She was AWESOME, and she has renewed my faith in humanity.

~FM

Wild cat mcclane said:
I assure you, you are not going to get help from Gunbroker. I ASSURE YOU. I've been there. You will quickly learn that in all the mumbo jumbo, gunbroker just pretends it is a clearing house of items, like craiglist. It in no way is an Ebay that will stand with you against a false description. No way, no how.

Gunbroker is the WORST when it comes to a problem.

You may be correct. I could file a "Fraud" claim, but bummer is, even if I win...it a JOKE;

(from GB website)

Fine Print

• You, the buyer, must file a claim with GunBroker.com between 30 and 60 days from the auction end date.

• You, the buyer, cannot file more than 3 claims per 6 months.

• If you, the buyer, paid with a credit card and or a payment gateway service such as PayPal, GunPal, etc, you must dispute the charge with the credit card company and or the payment gateway.

• You, the buyer, will have to show proof that you were denied from your credit card and or payment gateway.

• GunBroker.com will ONLY cover up to $500 on a claim.

• All claims have a $100 deductible. ...................

• GunBroker.com will deny a claim where there is difference in opinion over the condition of the item.

So, on a $1236 purchase, I'd get $400 back...IF I'd get anything back at all.

Lovely.

you should ensure that the true condition of the firearm (bulging side plate with crease from improper assembly....) is considerably different than it was as advertised (excellent condition with minimal signs of use) by the seller. Then you should ensure that every means legally possible are taken to make the public aware on every media platform you can of the fraudulent practices of that gun shop.

Sorry for the hiatus, recovering from the holidays.

I did dispute this with my CC company and they gave me a "provisional credit" for the purchase amount while they investigate the dispute. So, in the mean time, I'm not responsible for any interest accrued or for making the revolving charge payment. However, it will still ultimately be incumbent upon me to prove fraud, and I'm told that can be very tricky when it comes to the condition of used and vintage items. The letter from S&W will be my saving grace, I believe.
Speaking of...the gun was shipped to S&W from my FFL on January 10th. S&W emailed me a pre-paid shipping label that morning (which I forwarded to my FFL) and they have agreed to expedite the examination process to help me out...the S&W CS rep said she would "personally walk it back to Performance Shop". She was AWESOME, and she has renewed my faith in humanity.

~FM

Flight Medic , I hope that everything works out in your favor , having Smith& Wesson state in writing damage exists and the gun is unsafe would be about the best credibility you could have in proving your case. I will definitely make it a point never to deal with your gunbroker seller.

I assure you, you are not going to get help from Gunbroker. I ASSURE YOU. I've been there. You will quickly learn that in all the mumbo jumbo, gunbroker just pretends it is a clearing house of items, like craiglist. It in no way is an Ebay that will stand with you against a false description. No way, no how.

Gunbroker is the WORST when it comes to a problem.

However, you credit card WILL take care of you. Everything in the world is marked up to cover credit card fees. Part of those fees cover benefits provided by credit cards. Dispute resolution is one of those benefits you pay for every time you shop at the grocery store.

If you have even a mid credit card, they will give you back the disputed funds the second you file a dispute.

This was my experience with GB as well. Don't bother chasing them down a rabbit hole if they don't help you, which they wont. There are lesser known but better auction sites out there. People who get burned by GB and get sour on all online transactions don't realize that though GB is the biggest auction site, it's also the worst in terms of buyer protection and customer assistance with disputes, in my opinion.

I've had this same scenario using another auction site and though they couldn't force a refund, they could and did put a hold on the seller's auction account until the dispute was resolved. They are also much more proactive about policing for scam auctions and responding to and investigating complaints.

I'm sorry to hear about the op's troubles. My recommendation is to wait for GB's answer on the off chance they might help with a refund, assume they wont, and start a CC dispute immediately if that's how you paid.

If you didn't use a CC and the seller won't voluntarily refund, congrats. You have a new 629.

Count yourself lucky, you actually got a gun for your money. I didnt, seller told me I'd have to wait at least a month for him to restock the gun listed as "In stock" before he could send it, and to top it off was removing factory accessories in his auctions from guns and selling them seperately. When I refused to wait a month for an incomplete gun, I had to pursue a refund for months, with no help from GB and a seller who degenerated into a lunatic sendi g me emails mocking me, saying thanks for the free $1100. Finally after getting the BBB and his local LE involved he refunded me with "a $200 restocking fee or no refund at all"...for an item he never had in stock.
Gunbroker ONLY response to all this was to delete the negative feedback I left for the seller.
The seller remains on GB to this day, with great feedback and a terrible BBB review.

Next I'd start looking into either attempting to reseat the sideplate yourself, or getting a new side plate from somewhere like numrich.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back