Rifles... Our favorites

Winchester 94 in 375 win. It was my dad's. He used all the way from water buffalo on the station in Australia, to deer here in Arizona. Getting pretty hard to find ammo for. If anyone knows where I could get some I'd sure appreciate a pm.

1984d473a6f454f9f2ce36abed260cad.jpg

This'n.

My personal favorite is my Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. It won out over my Ruger Model 77 in 6mm Remington (by only a smidgen). The 6mm was cheaper to shoot and was my Coyote gun using 75 grain HP. It did fine with deer using 100 grain PSP. That was about it though.

The Winchester loads 110 grain HP up to 220 grain RN. It is a heavier rifle and I feel more comfortable with it up in bear country with 180 grain PSP.

It really depends upon your intended use.

The one that always makes me smile and makes other people at the range wonder what the heck IS that thing....

Fits me like a glove...

Yeah, it's a chicken wing - I'm not SWAT or an "operator" of any kind, too old and fat, so I don't care. :D

CZ 527M/CSR 7.62x39mm. Custom stock with spare mag in the butt. Accurate, reliable, and just plain fun. Plenty light to haul around out in the desert all day hunting, too.

My favorite rifle is my AR in 6.5 which does pretty much everything well and then my Savage .22 and SA M1 Garand are tied in a close second place.

To me a rifle can be a work of art. A well crafted rifle can bring a sense of pride to some owners.
It sure can. Ability to hang on a wall isn't something I look for in a firearm, it's a tool to me and form should always follow function IMO.

Some of the guns shown are not attractive to me. They may be made for war and use in the mud.

I like fine looking guns for my shooting and hunting enjoyment. They are also functional.

customacf5425.jpg

I am partial to the M1888 Rifle-Rod Bayonet Trapdoor Springfield in 45-70. Carried one up San Juan Hill in 1898.:D:D

Favorite rifle...
At the moment; the BM59 I just built and am loving every minute of
For range fun; the STGW57 owing to its shear ridiculous size
As a practical gun; the VZ58
For target shooting; K31, accept no substitutes

I couldn't believe it either, but I actually like the BM59 more than the FN49 (which is both '06 and lacks any recoil abatement while being a good bit larger/heavier)

With any luck, a semi-auto Hotchkiss Universal will be joining the fleet in the near future, which should be real fun to shoot because of the heavy bolt (soft recoil), large magazine, and the fact it folds up into a baguette-sized object for the range bag :D

TCB

What's more beautiful than a K-31?

Hey you're onto something there. Not much - the ingenuity of that design for that time, and the way they're made, is something else.

Art is only a liability in the field to the extent you're worried about scratching / messing it up - which can in fact be an issue. If you fully accept scratches and can enjoy it, then why not?

Back