Rifles... Our favorites

My favorite rifle?

The ancient Remmington 721 .270 WIN inherited from my Grandpa ...... dinged and dented, bluing wearing off, with a cheap 20 dollar scope installed for him in the 80's when his eyesight began to fail ..... he was very ill with cancer when he gave it to me, and knew he would not see another deer season. "Now, don't go hanging this on the wall as some kind of memorial- it's a gun, made to be shot." I have certainly done that.....

It's a tough choice, but I would have to say my favorite is my type 44 arisaka. I stumbled into it, I was after a type 99 and a feller wanted a 1903A4 I had but didn't have the cash to fork out so he offered a type 99 and a type 44 plus a little cash. took it, hated the 44 because ammo was impossible to find, little by little as I got reloading components for it I slowly fell in love with this little rifle. I shot my first black bear with it. it's the first open sighted rifle I've ever hunted with. it's the ugliest, most practical, little hunting rifle I've ever owned.

bad... it got me addicted to 6.5mm cartridges... now I'm a huge 6.5 snob.

Favorite Hunting Rifle: would have to be my first center-fire rifle, a Remington 700BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. Bought in 1974, it still performs extremely well in all circumstances. The fancy stock is scratched deeply due to it being used to save my life after falling thru the ice while walking across a beaver pond. I used the stock to break ice until it would grab thicker ice allowing me to pull myself out of the water. I could re-finish it or re-place the stock, but every time I pick it up it reminds me of the lack of foresight I had that day. The three mile walk home was cold, but had to keep moving to prevent freezing as it was 20 degrees below F that day in Northern Wisconsin.

Favorite Shooting Rifle: would have to be my AR-50 in 50BMG used as a Target Rifle in 1000 yard FCSA Match competitions

Favorite Deer Gun: Ithaca Model 37 DeerSlayer with 20" barrel. It's taken more deer than all my rifles added together.

One favorite? That's tough...

...But a little easier since, for a variety of reasons, I have exactly ZERO semi-auto rifles at the moment.

Of course, then, the answer is a turnbolt, lever, or pump.

My favorite changes monthly if not weekly, but at the moment I'd have to say (since I recently sighted it) the 2012-year Winchester 70 "Coyote Suppressor-Ready" with laminated-wood thumbhole stock ("royal camo"), in .243 Win with 24" bbl and matte black finish. Hits right where I'm aiming with 100 gr handloads. Scope is Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm. Rings are Leupold double-dovetail. Now I just need a suppressor for it.

Hon. mentions: Marlin 39 TDS in .22lr, and T/C Icon Classic in .30-'06 with Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40mm.

K-31. By far. More accurate than any other milsurp it's came up against, even with It's "primitive non-aperature sights". Thinking of getting a scope mount for it eventually. Never going to hack up or "sporter-ruin" an already perfect rifle. I've grown apart from my Mosin. It's proved to be entirely too much hassle for so little enjoyment. I've considered selling it the past few days.

My m48 Mauser, bought it when i turned 18 and stuck the middle finger up to my parents face. They're not anti-gun, but worse in the sense that everybody else in the world is incompetent in their eyes. Yeah I come from a highly over educated family.

Mosin- gonna change your screen name now? I suggest you say you're a 16 yr old girl to get lots of attention.

Last edited:
Overall favorite, M1A. Sentimental favorite, S/S Mini 14, it was the first rifle my wife and daughter (2 1/2 months old) gave me for Christmas. By the way, the M1A was also a Christmas gift.

I have always loved classic single shot rifles and this is the one I shoot the most. Every time I go somewhere to shoot, this rifle comes along. I love the graceful style of these rifles, I love the figured burl walnut wood. Plus, this gun will give bolt action rifles a run for the money in accuracy, and it's a .22.

086.jpg

I have small game, small varmint, large varmint, small big game, big game, heavy varmint, walking varmint, handy woods rifle and longer range big game rifle. I like all of them because I only keep accurate rifles for the critters I m hunting.

I like all of them... my personal favorites are the Modernized M14,
7.62 AK, Daewoo K2, Lever guns, and semi-auto shotguns.

If I must choose a #1 favorite, I would choose a Modernized M14.

M14-Modernized.1.JPG

#1: 1951 Winchester mdl 43 in 22 hornet…. most fun shooter of the bunch and dime size groups all day long at 100yards.

#2: 1892 Winchester mdl 1890 in 22WRF… Grandad's and the one I learned to shoot with….. still works just fine.

#3 1932 Winchester 94 eastern carbine…. loads the freezer just fine when woods hunting.

Shuffs mini g - great rifle... When shooting for accuracy either my ruger 30-06 or ruger 22-250.. Both shoot great. Probably the 30-06, hart barrel and McMillan stock.

My favorite for sentimental purposes is my 700BDL in .30-06 because it was the rifle that I mowed lawns for 7 1/2 months to get when I was 14.

However, if I had to have a favorite rifle to take to war...my DDM4V7 in 5.56mm.

Back