Rifles... Our favorites

marine6680

Seeing as how I got to work at 7am (because I didn't want to be here at 6am) and I will likely be here until 1am... I am hoping to get a nice discussion going to help pass time. (if my battery holds out)

My question... What is your favorite rifle that you own and why. It can be subjective or practical... Any reason at all.

No arguing, just a friendly discussion about our personal choices.

I would choose my AR, (woo shocker) because I built it, and it has proven reliable and accurate.

Join me over in the handgun section to talk favorite handguns, if you wish.

Remington 700bdl .30-06 my dad gave me 40 years ago, my first hi-power rifle and has taken near 30 deer. Nothing special but the of all those hunts and the trust dad showed me by letting me have it when I was 14!

Good enough reason for me...

I had a M1 carbine my grandfather gave me, made in 45 and never issued. He got it from the CMP in the 50s I believe, and it looked factory new when I got it. He fired a few mags through it, and put it away.

It was stolen, along with a 30-30 Winchester lever with octagon barrel that was bought around the time my mother was born, never fired... Until I loaded it up.

I curse the thief quite regularly.

Winchester 1894 30-30 made in the 70's.

The good- I got it from my grandpa when I was 14 so I could hunt deer and not have to use a shotgun. Great for heavily wooded areas and light.

It's accurate- One day on my way to my deer blind I shot two grouse in the head in 10 minutes. Was only 100 yards out the back door so I ran them home quick and walked the 2 miles to the back property. Didn't get a deer that day but it wasn't because of the grouse.

The Bad- My grandpa bought it from a guy who needed money and didn't want his guns stolen so he engraved his name, town, and state on the rifle in 3 places. The engraving is ugly and the finish is from the time when winchester was having problems.

May only be worth a few hundred dollars but it's priceless to me and I shoot it as much as I can.

This old Gewehr 98 my grandpa dug out of his safe and Sporterized for me. It was about seven years ago and the gift of this rifle was what have me the impetus to get into shooting in the first place. The guns action is 100 years old (almost) and it still shoots a cool 1-2 at 100 yards with capable ammo.

I love this rifle, the history behind it and the personal touch my grandfather put on it.

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_3191.JPG

Last edited:
I would have to go AR. cheap, easy, accurate and light. not the prettiest things ever built, but sure are practical. I give my .357 lever gun second place

My Winchester Model 70 Stealth in 308. Just love everything about it, except the moa trigger... not that it's bad would have just preferred the original design.

A toss up between my SIG SHRs and my 1978 Winchester M-70 XTR in 308. In 1979 in fading light at 100 yards with it I fired a group measuring about 1.25" with GI ammo and iron sights.

I have 3, I enjoy them all but for now, partly due to new-gun fever, I'd have to say my AR.

However, having found a great supply of .308, I may re-discover by bolt gun if it turns out to be accurate: fingers crossed.

For nostalgia, my favorite is my Grandads model 99 300 savage.

For accuracy, my favorite is my model 700 22-250 remington.

For fire power, my favorite is my model 742 30-06 remington.

But my favorite is my dads 98 mauser 25-06, custom built by my 2nd cousin.

I would list the second favorites, but that would be off topic. :D

I like them all :)

In no particular order: Core M4 (home build 5.56NATO), Russian Saiga AK74 (5.45x39) fully converted, and Chinese SKS in original config.

I've got several of these: Remington 788 .243 (first hand-me-down deer rifle), Remington 700 .270 (wanted one like my dads when I was a teenager), Ruger Deerfield .44mag (just because Its a little odd), Henry .44mag (it my "cowboy" rifle lol), Remington 788 .308 (wanted my .243's bigger brother), and last but not least my PSA AR-15 with either a .300blk or 6.8spc upper (hog slayers).

Probably I like my SVT40 best of all I presently have. It isn't the most accurate of the choices, but it sure is a whole lot of fun to shoot, and I marvel at the craftsmanship. It has nearly perfect balance for offhand, and works well kneeling. It is a bit short in the buttstock for prone though. It is quite lightweight too. The muzzle brake is effective, as one can tell by shooting a Mosin Nagant in comparison.

Never really did like the AR15, though many people like them.

I only shoot for recreation, so it fits the bill nicely.

Being old school, I'm hung on pre 64 Mod 70's. Use them for hunting and paper punching. I just like the way they were made back when.Put one in hand and work bolt and you will see what I mean.
Dan

Mine's the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. I have one in 243 and the other's a 30-06. They're smooth and accurate, but not all that feather-like.

Back