RIA 1911 in 38 super...pros or cons?

38 super

38 super has always been hot, but as far as I know 38 acp was not.
In fact before the advent of the 357 mag, the old tommy gun was put out in 38 super for the FBI, so they could shoot into the engine block of the old v-8s in the roaring 20s.
38 super is real close to 357 mag velocities and much hotter with bigger bullets than the 9 mm, and the case is longer than the 9mm

38 acp,

the old 38 acp, was every bit as good as the original 9mm. Old John M himself considered it an American 9 mm. And the truth is most 9 mms today are still not as hot as 38 super, shorter case, and most of the time smaller bullet. 38 super can be loaded to 147 grain bullet and 150 grain bullet, and as far as I know the 9mm can not

38 super

when I first got my 38 super, none of the ammo said 38 super + p, that did not come along to some time in the 1980s. Not sure why, but after about 1980 or 1981 all 38 super ammo said + p

but you could still fine 38 auto, and the dies today still say 38 auto or 38 super for reloading purposes, and the brass is similar to the 7.62x51 and 308 winchester.
Outside dimensions are identical, but inside is not. I know cause I have an ar 10 in 308 winchester and can fire 7.62 ammo, but not vise versa, pressures are higher in the 308

metro arms

You are correct. Metro Arms and RIA are not related although both built in the Phillippines. Metro Arms also does the American Classic Editions. I do know they took over the LLama name plate, and also used Firestorm for a while.
As far as I know are pretty good guns, and that makes three builders of 1911s in the Phillippines. RIA, ATI, AND METRO ARMS. (ATI is built by the old shooters arms of the phillippines I have heard)

Is that sub machine gun ammo, I have heard IMI makes their ammo super hot, and sub gun ammo in Europe is not the same ammo as pistol ammo

I have heard that is why frames were cracking in 9 mm pistols, cause they were using sub gun ammo in pistols

"In fact before the advent of the 357 mag, the old tommy gun was put out in 38 super for the FBI, so they could shoot into the engine block of the old v-8s in the roaring 20s."

I've heard that said before, but I've never been able to find a single source that verifies the Thompson was ever made in .38 Super.

As far as I know, the FBI did maintain Thompsons in stock for use by agents through the 1960s, but those were all in .45 ACP.

One advantage of the .38 Super is that I have been using small rifle primers instead of the super scarce Federal Small Pistol primers as required for my super-lightly tuned double action S&W revolvers. In that instance (using small rifle primers in the .38 Super), primers are going to be easier to find than if it were restricted to small pistol primers.

the old 38 acp, was every bit as good as the original 9mm. Old John M himself considered it an American 9 mm. And the truth is most 9 mms today are still not as hot as 38 super, shorter case, and most of the time smaller bullet. 38 super can be loaded to 147 grain bullet and 150 grain bullet, and as far as I know the 9mm can not
I load and shoot 147gr bullets in my 9mm’s all the time. Plenty of info in the loading manuals.

Does the RIA 38 Super come with a ramped barrel? I’ve had a Colt 38 Super and presently have an Iver Johnson 1911 Super. Both have standard 1911 barrels (not ramped) and neither one will reliably cycle any bullet with a flat point or truncated nose. FMJ works fine.

Does the RIA 38 Super come with a ramped barrel? I’ve had a Colt 38 Super and presently have an Iver Johnson 1911 Super. Both have standard 1911 barrels (not ramped) and neither one will reliably cycle any bullet with a flat point or truncated nose. FMJ works fine.
I bought an RIA .38 Super last August or so. It came with a ramped barrel.
00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-fd80S2YCHTLTRIA4TZywbtldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-eiFsysK7a0y80nS96_9xnO4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

Back