Revolver suggestions

Hello all,

So I've finally decided that its time to get a revolver. To be honest, I'm not much of a revolver guy. I got into guns several years ago primary with home/personal protection in mind, chose semi-autos, and never really gave revolvers a serious look. I don't believe that a revolver will ever replace any of my pistols in the defensive role, but I think its at least time to get a revolver. The problem though, is I'm not sure where to begin.

I have shot a number of Ruger and S&W's, but can't really remember the various models.

Just to reiterate, this will be primarily a range gun. I'm thinking probably a 4 inch or so barrel, and probably 357 magnum. Older/used is fine.

So If I'm only to own one revolver, what should I get? Thanks.

It's a hard decision in 357 Magnum. I prefer 4" and 6 round capacities for new shooters.

The Ruger GP100 is a great choice, as is a S&W 686. They're medium sized and they're more than capable.

I love my 8 round Smith Performance Center 627 with 8 rounds, as well as my 586 L-Comp with 7 rounds.

If you reload, expect your accuracy to get even better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think I'll get busy looking up the models recommended, then start browsing the local gun stores.

Somehow I get the feeling that once I get one, more just might follow....

The OP wants a 4" revolver for a range gun. Adjustable sights are advisable for this use. A nice Ruger GP100 or an S&W 686, new or used are great choices.

robert1804 said:
The OP wants a 4" revolver for a range gun. Adjustable sights are advisable for this use.

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

Adjustable sights are not only adjustable, they offer a better sight picture than fixed sights. Much preferable for range use, IMO.

It's tough to go wrong with a 4" GP100, K-frame, or L-frame S&W. If it fits, an 8-shot N-frame would be a good choice as well. And if your budget fits, a nice vintage N-frame 6-shot Model 27 would be pretty sweet. ;)

"...have shot a number of Ruger and S&W's..." All of 'em feel right? A revolver had to fit your hand properly. Means you can easily reach the trigger with no stress.
Had a 4" Smith 19(that isn't made any more. 'L' frame 586 is pretty much the same except for the under barrel lug like the GP. An M66 is the same thing but SS but does not come with a 4" barrel.) for eons that never did quite fit right. Tried a bunch of grips too. The 'K' frame is just a tick too big for my hand for use on DA. Fine on single action for bullseye shooting though.
However, the 'J' frame size grip on a 2" 19 fits perfectly. With Pachmayr grips. A standard 4" GP 100 fit perfectly right out of the box. S'why I bought the thing when they first came to Canada 30 some years ago.
Do not use the factory triggers as a criteria. All new firearms need a trigger job right out of the box. Easier to do on the GP than the Smith if you plan on doing it yourself. The Smith needs one special $20 tool the GP does not.
'Used' is not an ugly word with either revolver. Takes a lot of abuse to damage a modern revolver.

Great advice given so far.

My 'one revolver' choice would also factor in self-defense and carry roles, but would be used 99% of the time at a range. It would be a GP100 4" Stainless.

And I would hate only having one revolver- even though I shoot semi-autos a LOT more.

BTW, why not check out a Dan Wesson or a Colt model Three Five Seven [predecessor/contemporary of Python, with same action parts as Python, but without the level of polishing of blue, and without vented ribbed heavy barrel- thus you can get one under $1000.]

Great advice given so far.

Just cleaned a GP100 4 inch 357 stainless, full breakdown and having owning security sixes, the same. If you want something that can give some mileage and easy maintenance GP100.

You can't go wrong with a 4" bbl S&W 586 or 686. Red ramp front and white outline rear adjustable sights are easy to see.

I am also a fan of the 4" Ruger GP100, it is very similar in size / feel / handling to the 586 and 686. If you like to tweak and want to add a fiber optic front sight or swap in a lighter hammer spring the GP100 is more DIY friendly.

.38spl wadcutter target ammo is mild out of either. Both are heavy enough to take the hurt off of full power .357mag rounds.

34xs3ur.jpg

GP100

21bw376.jpg

Security Six

I have a 4" model 66 and 4" GP100.

I would recommend either of those or a 686. Choose either a 4 or 6 inch barrel, whatever you prefer.

Can't go wrong with any of those.

Since you said "range gun", a longer barrel will help your aim due to the increased distance between front and back sights.

Both a 6" and a 4"...GP100 SS or 686 .....Something is telling me you won't be happy til you have both ..... " Don't believe me watch ".
Something else is telling me that once you do , you will never part with them...
Another revolver I can highly recommend is the Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley 44 Mag, I consider these two calibers essential and These 3 revolvers cover a lot of ground, and every man needs a S/A. Every time I go to the range they go , I have many semi's as well and we all know they have their place , but believe me when I say these 3 are near and dear....
....No Looking Back..................GOOD FORTUNE..............

Last edited:
A 4" or 6" revolver is a good choice...in .357 Mag..and you can shoot .38 spl thru it as well.

I prefer the triggers of S&W... ( and I like all 3 sizes, but the N frames fit my hands the best ) but with a variety of grips / and whether you choose square butt frames or round butt...you'll find something you like.

K frames... model 19's or 66's...
L Frames... model 686
N Frames ..model 27, 28 or the new model 627's...

Pick a gun that fits your hands the best.

Don't overlook the Ruger Blackhawk. My 6.5"er is a tack driver & a pussycat, even with the heavy factory loads.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either the GP-100 or the Blackhawk in .357. Choose your preferred barrel length & enjoy.

I've had the chance to handle a number of different revolvers over the past week. The one that most impressed me I think was a GP100 Match Champion that a local store had lightly used. The balance and ergonomics seemed very good. Also, I'm trying to get my hands on a 357 Blackhawk. The models with the extra 9mm cylinder really interests me. Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

I can't add anything new to all the great options already given.

So I'll just echo whats already been said.

My S&W M66 is a fantastic all-round gun that can be used for more than just range work.

I do tend to gravitate to my Single Actions more though, they are just so darn fun to shoot!

I'd say get a .22 revolver in addition to a .357, even in large guns the .357 isn't fun to shoot for long periods. Of course you can always switch to .38's...

The GP100 is a tank of a revolver, I think you'd be very happy with it. If you did round it off with a blackhawk you have the beginnings of a great revolver collection. Good luck.

Yes, the GP 100 is the replacement for the Security-Six. Both guns are tough as nails even though the manufacturing process has changed. The Security-Six was milled from billet and the GP is made with investment castings. The new casting technique uses High strength alloys and pressure forced injection to maintain the strength. They still use a full solid frame unlike the older S&W, Colts and clones that use side plates. They use a slightly different hammer/trigger spring geometry which provides a smoother and lighter trigger pull. The full shroud under the barrel adds to the look and feel of strength and helps to balance the pistol better in speed competitions. I, for one, will keep buying the Ruger revolvers.

Back