Revolver suggestions

MandolinMan

Hello all,

So I've finally decided that its time to get a revolver. To be honest, I'm not much of a revolver guy. I got into guns several years ago primary with home/personal protection in mind, chose semi-autos, and never really gave revolvers a serious look. I don't believe that a revolver will ever replace any of my pistols in the defensive role, but I think its at least time to get a revolver. The problem though, is I'm not sure where to begin.

I have shot a number of Ruger and S&W's, but can't really remember the various models.

Just to reiterate, this will be primarily a range gun. I'm thinking probably a 4 inch or so barrel, and probably 357 magnum. Older/used is fine.

So If I'm only to own one revolver, what should I get? Thanks.

The S&W Model 10 with a 4" barrel is a nice choice but be it a 4" heavy or standard barrel it is a .38 Special revolver. The S&W Model 19 is another good choice and opens the door to .357 Magnum shooting. Colt also has some good offerings in the .38 Special and .357 Magnum calibers.

Could suggest revolvers all day long but I figure budget is going to figure into this. The S&W Model 10 is a less expensive revolver. There are also revolvers out there which are inexpensive made by Taurus and Rossi to name a few. Back to it comes down to your pocketbook. :)

Ron

I’ve got a S&W M66 and love it, so I’d agree on the M19 or M66 suggestion. These models were manufactured for several years and then discontinued. S&W revived the M66 last year, so there should be some new models available for purchase, but don't neglect the used market. Also, take a look at the S&W M686 which has a slightly larger frame.

From "Police Administration" O.W. Wilson. In its day it was the Bible on police administration:

"The Revolver should be heavy, so it could be used as a club if need be".

I carried a 4" Model 28 during my 20 years in LE, and it certainly fit the bill.

Its been said, and I found it to be true, the N frame Smiths are 357 Magnums that you can occasionally shoot 38s. The K frames are 38s that you can occasionally shoot 357s.

I was in LE in Alaska where we had a lot of large animal calls so I carried heavy 357 loads. I played with the K frames, Model 19s and Model 13s, I have shot them loose.

My issued service pistol, (Model 28) was given to me by the department when I retired. I got it in 1974 and I still shoot a lot of heavy 357s out of it. Its as tight as it was the day it was issued. Its weight makes it easy in the recoil dept.

I tried a 6.5 inch Model 27, but you really notice that extra 2.5 inches setting in a police car all night long. Its a beautiful copy of the Model 28, and with the longer sight radius I shoot it a bit better. But as a duty gun, a work horse, the 4" Model 28 is hard to beat.

For shooting at the range I'd get either S&W model 66 or 686 or a Ruger GP100. The 66 is the smallest of the three and easy to shoot 38 special loads. If your planning on shooting a bunch of Magnum loads I'd go with the 686 or the GP100. The new 66's can handle .357's OK but your wrist will take more of a beating.

There are tons of used revolvers out there that would work also. The S&W model 15 in 38 special is a great gun and usually much cheaper than the model 19 or 66 in .357.

All excellent suggestions, and there are so many to choose from.

However, if you are going to just buy one revolver to shoot at a range, then why not get THE most iconic wheelgun ever produced? Yes, there are better, more modern, more accurate revolvers, but every gun guy should own a Single Action Colt in his lifetime - just like a 1911.
If the Colt is too expensive or difficult to obtain, then there are a number of less costly & very good clones, reproductions, lookalikes, etc. out there. (Cimarron, Uberti, USFA, Great Western, Taylors, Ruger, to name a few).

.45 Colt is the most desired caliber for collectors, but if you're going to shoot that round a lot, then reloading is a must. Or get one in .357/.38 Special.

COLTSAA45ACP-featured.jpg

Let the Colt bashing begin. ;)

This is my Colt .357 (made in 1979) - it is a beautiful firearm:

5eb358b94a97d80a1e04bdb70e8369695efbf45.jpg

My Ruger New Vaquero .357:

38415848da15bb06aab0a5ca8c3deb03b33bd8b.JPG

Last edited:
MandolinMan: Welcome to the world of revolvers.

If true that you are “…not much of a revolver guy.”, I would definitely recommend that you spend some time with several different chamberings before settling on one. Not that there is anything wrong with the .357/38 which is widely regarded as the best compromise chambering to be had. As an aside, I agree that the M66/M19 S&Ws may be the best examples out there.

However, revolvers come in many styles and chamberings from 19th century replica SAA conversions to modern DA and from .17 caliber to 500 S&W.

After many years of shooting most of the above, I have settled on being equally torn between my .22 caliber revolvers and my .44s/44 mags.

My advice is to take your time and have a blast figuring out what you like best.

Will

That's good advice too. Shoot a few different types to see which fits you best & is more fun to use.

The S&W K frames are awesome guns, as are the J-frames.

I echo the single action revolver comment. Consider the .327 Federal Magnum. A wonderful but under-rated round. I espouse its use every chance I get, and rarely ever shoot anything else the last couple years. They finally chambered it in a Single Six frame, which they should have done from the beginning, put an extra hole in the cylinder and called it the Single Seven. My EDC since I got it. I'm going to get another one. Great round and gun and there is an awesome, 61 page thread on this very site with all the info you need on this great cartridge.

For a "do everything" revolver, a 4" 357 is an excellent choice.

Personally, I might start with a 22, but that's just me.

If it's not for CC or HD, you might consider a 6" barrel. A 4" is inherently just as accurate, but the extra 2" of sight radius make a big difference in practical accuracy, for me anyway.

My favorite is my Ruger Blackhawk. If you don't mind single action, it is a super fun revolver, and for lots of people the old-fashioned plow handle grip feels better in the hand and mitigates recoil. They have nice big adjustable sights.

My friend and I both have SP-101's. His has a decent trigger. Mine is stiff. They are kind of small for the caliber, IMHO.

My FiL has a GP100. It plenty big enough for the caliber. It has good sights. I have heard that not all of them do, but his had a great trigger right out of the box. It is a tack driver.

Another friend and I both have K frame S&W's. Mine is pretty good, but it has tiny fixed sights. His has the best DA trigger I have ever felt on a handgun. I am pretty sure it's an old Model 66 that his father gave him.

And speaking of which, I have owned one Taurus Model 66 and one derivative (Model 689). They were both made in the late 80's or 1990. They are or were (one was stolen) excellent revolvers. My 689 does not have quite as good a trigger as my friend's S&W 66 (which it seems to have sort of been copied from), but in either of our hands the practical accuracy is about the same.

I also have an old Colt mid-sized revolver in 38 special. It is an old-fashioned one with tiny fixed sights. I prefer it to my very similar S&W pre Model 10 because the trigger is better, as is the front sight. That being said, the Colts seem to be more expensive, and I have heard that parts and knowledgeable gunsmiths are harder to find for the Colts than the S&W's.

Good luck on your search. Let us know how it goes! :)

Last edited:
If a 357 is what your after its hard to beat a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100. They are both solid revolvers and should last a long time.

For a pure simplistic range gun the Smith and wesson model 13 is hard to beat. Having the option of .357 magnums is fun and satisfying. Some are happy with just shooting .38s but once in a while i like to "wake up the neighborhood" so to speak. The 3 inch model is my favorite and im still searching for one of my own. For now my model 19s will have to do. :o

Range Revolver

For the range.....
There is no reason to have a double-action revolver, the barrel should be at least 4", it should have adjustable sights. and caliber should be considered from the cost point of view.....unless money is no object, and even if you reload, as components vary in cost [and sometimes availability].

Some revolvers are available in 'convertible'....45colt/.45acp, .357mag/9mm, .327fed/.32H&R/.32long, .22lr/.22WMR, and others.
My experience is the convertibles with .45acp and 9mm, although great rounds, very available and affordable, minimum recoil,.......but not real accurate in the convertible configuration.

Recoil should be factored in [personally]or you may not wish to shoot many rounds per range trip, and especially if shared with family.

If you choose a .357mag and plan to also use .38special, keep in mind they shoot at different POI, so if accuracy is important, remember you will have to compensate between the two cartridges [or re-adjust your sights].

I have many reasons [and many decades of experience] why, but I suggest you begin with a 5.5"bbl Ruger Blackhawk or Ruger Single-Six [or Single-Seven], especially for value, quality, accuracy, longevity, etc.

I have no idea about store bought ammo costs, I haven't purchased any in decades, with the exception of some .22wmr and some .327fed. both back in 2009, and don't know if you reload.

If you do reload, or have an outlet for the ammo, I would HIGHLY recommend a Ruger Single-Seven .327fed [ or a Ruger Blackhawk .327fed if you can find one]. What a wonderful cartridge, and we [spouse, kids, grandkids] shoot hundreds of them every week.

Great thing about the .32's, they are so accurate. Full blown .327fed has 20% less recoil than .357mag, and if you shoot the .32H&Rmag, or the .32long.......it is almost like shooting a .22, and unlike the .45acp, .38special, and 9mm as mentioned above in 'convertibles', I don't notice much difference in sight adjustments shooting between the three......in any of my .327fed revolvers (25yds or less).

Either road you choose, I am sure you will enjoy owning a revolver. Caution: They are addictive.

This is an 8-shot Blackhawk .327fed

Attachments

• blkhk-1.jpg
    blkhk-1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 35
  • blkhk-.jpg
    blkhk-.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 35
If it's to be a range gun, go find a nice older K Frame Smith in .38 Special and go with it. If you're not shooting "for effect", there's no advantage to the .357 Mag. (Of course, if you are, there's plenty of advantage.) The nicest shooting revolver I have ever fired is a Model 14 S&W. Adjustable sights, best trigger ever (really!) and deadly accurate. They're not particularly pricey if you look around.

A Ruger Security Six. The frame is closer in size to the Colt Python/Trooper so it will handle a regular diet of 357s, the chamber notches are offset. I have a 6" stainless steel one, a too heavy trigger pull was fixed with an after market spring set, Pachmayr grips provide shooting comfort. And mine is accurate.

I agree with Smee78. S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. Both are stainless, come in several barrel lengths, have lifetime warranties, soft shooters, and will last you a very long time.

Here's a few threads on this very subject to give you some more info.

4 inch S&W revolver thread
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582129

Ruger Match Champion verses S&W Model 27
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563360

Should I buy a revolver
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582941&highlight=champion

If money were no object I'd get an S&W Model 27. Even if money is an object you could always figure the gun is going to last, well years and years and years so your cost per month for the gun is very, very, very low.

I'd also give the Ruger Match Champion a serious look too.
http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

Back