Revolver recoil question, health related

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you able to handle weight? Weak tendons often limit the weight one can support in handling the gun normally, even if it is fired from a rest.

Jim

The heaviest I tried recently was a 6 inch 686 which was fine for about 50 rounds before I started feeling the weight being an issue.
I go shooting 4 times a month if time allows it so 50 rounds is about the maximum I care to shoot per session.

SS

A stock Ruger GP100 seems to be about the best balance of feel, versatility, recoil, capability cost etc.

The stock grips with or without the wood inserts are very good. The weight is good. The balance with the 4 inch barrel is great. Combine all that with the ability to buy or load from mild powder puff to crazy cruise missile and I think you have a great platform.

Hey SS, if you live anywhere in the Northern Virginia area I'd like to invite you to come with me to my range as my guest. You'd be more than welcome to try some 148gr wadcutters from both my Model 14 or my Model 67. If this seems like it would work, I'd gladly help you learn how to reload these on a budget

Jim. I sent my Rhino to the factory and they lightened it up for me, free of charge and they even paid the freight. It's still revolver long, but it's pretty easy now.

The heaviest I tried recently was a 6 inch 686 which was fine for about 50 rounds before I started feeling the weight being an issue.
I go shooting 4 times a month if time allows it so 50 rounds is about the maximum I care to shoot per session.

SS

Stainless your doing pretty good, I do not have tendon issues and that is about all I am good for with a 4" 686.

SIR you can get some 110 JHP and some 125 JHP I think the 686 is the way to go or you might find a Dan Wesson 38/357 with a full under lug the older mod you can change the barrel they come 2 4 6 8 good luck

Thank you for all the thoughtful suggestions.

My local store has a 327 fed mag SP101 used which I will take into consideration as well. It seems like a versatile little revolver which can handle 5 different loads varying greatly in recoil.
Any downsides to these?

SS

For the reasons you stated, I don't think that is such a bad idea myself. I am surprised someone hasn't chimed in. I don't own one but have shot everything but the .327mag, quite a bit of versatility there and the people that own them seem to think very highly of them. I guess ammo availability is the biggest issue but it is still available, they had a very small selection at Cabelas when I was there today but that is irrelevant, order on-line and you will have better costs and options anyway.

The 327 would be a good option. The only downside and it's a significant downside is ammo availability. You can find .38 special in any shop that sell a decent selection of ammo. .32 caliber rounds are going to be hard to find and limited in options. I'd plan on buying all my ammo online or reloading it if purchasing a .327.

I was wondering, while still looking for a suitable Revolver in .357, if there are any new Revolvers out that are up to par with the old stuff.
Are there any smooth trigger high quality new Revolvers out? Only thing I found so far is the new Colt Cobra, which is said to have a really smooth trigger and decent weight for a snub.

If I can't find a decent new one I think my best bet would be a Model 66.

SS

I tore a Rotater cuff a few years back. Recoil wasn't what bothered me at the time but the weight of hand gun and stance and grip would make it hard for me to hold the gun up in line of sight for much more than a few rounds. I was trying to shoot old faithful 686 plus with 4 inch barrel. No recoil at all that I can tell but weight was killing me. Started using glock 26 and sig 238 which both snap a little more but the weight didn't hurt my tendons so bad. Took me about a year to get strength enough to go back to heavier guns.

Go with a S&W Model 66. It's a few ounces lighter than the 686, and can handle any .38 special with ease. Also look into maybe getting a shooter glove. They'll help absorb a little bit more recoil if you wanna shoot a few .357 mags rounds off. Lots of good aftermarket grips for the K frames for softer shooting.

Interesting that you list heavy guns as the 625, yet you have rotator cuff problems. Seems like you would want to go with lighter guns. Usually the rotator cuff limits holding the arms high, so the heavier the gun, the harder on the tendons.

The tendons don't come into play as much with recoil?
Proper stance and bone alignment would help.

A lighter gun with lighter loads, such as a Smith model 10 with target loads would be my recommendation. Even might go with the Ruger LCRX 3 inch model and light loads.

Some kind of 32 revolver. 327 would be fine. You can shoot 32 S&W long out of it and it feels like a 22. 32 H&R magnum is still pretty easy. 327 is more spicy. Everything you need, from super mild to sort of wild.

A revolver will probably be better. An auto pistol has to have a certain level of recoil (i.e. bullet weight and velocity) to function, whereas a revolver will handle any load that will get the bullet out the barrel. As to gun weight, guns like the S&W K frame series (Model 15, Model 19) can be used for loads ranging from "powderpuff" to hot defense loads (and .357 Magnum in the Model 15), yet be light enough to handle well even with weak hands. I don't suggest the small J-frame guns; the light weight and short barrels relegate them (IMHO) to defense guns, not target or "fun" guns.

Jim

OP if I were you I would look at the S&W 686 or the 627. Shooting .38 special, which is a very good round both for the range and self-defense, these guns are very kind as regards recoil. I own both and they are a joy to shoot with .38 specials. Accurate as all get-out, soft recoil, and just plain fun.

The 625 is not bad, but you are shooting .45s. Not sure how you will feel about the recoil. You also need moon clips with this gun, which is a little extra hassle. Be sure you buy the moon clip tool or equivalent if you go this way.

If you want a semi-auto, I'd look at the CZ75BD 9mm. This is an all-steel gun that has a real following due to its excellent accuracy, simplicity, and recoil characteristics.

Good luck. BTW the S&W 617 .22LR revolver in my opinion is very fun to shoot and of course has no recoil worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back