Revolver conversion to moon clips

I use a speed loader for my Ruger Blackhawk.

When the speed loader is full, the revolver is empty. When the speed loader is empty, the revolver is loaded.

Simple.

Bob Wright

I knew one person who used a 1911A1 magazine as his "speedloader" for a Ruger Blackhawk 45. It does work, and is slightly faster than handling the rounds loose.

Since I don't play speed games, I don't understand the obsession with reload speed, particularly in revolvers...but, that's just me.

I understand easy, and I get the point of "rapid" I just don't see the point to spending extra money (and needing extra parts - clips-) to "save" fractions of a second that I am unlikely to achieve anyway, without many hours of dedicated practice which I'm simply not interested in doing...

Your world, your gun, your money, do what makes you happy, while there is still time to do it.

Just received the moons today. Wow! Are they fast to reload! I couldn’t imagine the difference in feeling. Just drop and go. I’ll still be slow, but the process is fast. I need to work on my speed!

Doing the pocket test today to see if the clips bend.

The loading tool may not be mandatory, but I can see how the unloader helps.

This will already be the most expensive j frame ever, but I’m sending it out for a moon clip conversion. I’ll call S&W first. They seem helpful normally. Maybe they are cheaper or can do as a spare cylinder. It’s not a collector’s piece. It has already picked up a ding.

In the future, I don’t think I would spring for the 357 mag capability, but I’m really loving the XS front sight and lightweight frame. The 442 Pro seems like the better deal, but lacks the improved sights.

Someone needs to make better grips, but that is a conversation for another time.

Just received the moons today. Wow! Are they fast to reload! I couldn’t imagine the difference in feeling. Just drop and go. I’ll still be slow, but the process is fast. I need to work on my speed!

Doing the pocket test today to see if the clips bend.

The loading tool may not be mandatory, but I can see how the unloader helps.

This will already be the most expensive j frame ever, but I’m sending it out for a moon clip conversion. I’ll call S&W first. They seem helpful normally. Maybe they are cheaper or can do as a spare cylinder. It’s not a collector’s piece. It has already picked up a ding.

In the future, I don’t think I would spring for the 357 mag capability, but I’m really loving the XS front sight and lightweight frame. The 442 Pro seems like the better deal, but lacks the improved sights.

Someone needs to make better grips, but that is a conversation for another time.
Remember, in an emergency slow is fast. Fast for fast sake is for games.

In the future see if you can shoot the Detective Special. I think that would really surprise you.

It means your reload is only as good as the shot before and the shot after. A speedy reload solely for speed and without regard to these shots is a false, and possibly dangerous economy. Gamers who are good at the game already know this, btw

@jar….I’m not sure I understand what you mean..
As above. The goal in an emergency is to stay aware of threats and make sure you make the reload successfully. Getting everything right is more important than how fast you do it.

And about the Detective Special. The DS came out decades before S&W's "J" frames and is slightly larger with six rounds. It is between the S&W "J" and "K" frame size but I find it far more manageable to shoot than any of my "J" frame size revolvers regardless of maker. Also generally easier to find than the 2" barrel "K" frame revolvers.

Well, order is in at TK Custom. I should get it shipped this evening…..maybe tomorrow.

Sounds like under 10 days door to door.

So, there are many moon clip holders for competition, but what for ccw? I’m thinking about something simple that clips over the belt that wraps around it to clip in and out, but allows grasping along the sides. Might have to reach out to my kydex guy and see what he has done or can do.

Lots of clip type moon clip holders. The ones I use were made by ... you guessed it.

TK Custom.

Well, shot it after the conversion today. It is truly faster to reload. I need to try with a timer.

Loading and unloading is too much of a chore. I was hard on moon clips. So, I learned I need something to moon and demoon. Another $100! I ordered the BMT Mooner.

This J frame is getting out of hand. In retrospect, getting into moon clips is going to cost me $350ish…..on top of an expensive revolver and ruining my warranty. Possibly not my best choice.

That said, it really has transformed from something ok for ccw to being quite reasonable to train with.

I've lightened up three Airweight 637-2 J-frames using titanium .357 Mag cylinders reamed for 9mm and moonclips. I use Ranch moonclips at about $1.25 each. Three moonclip reloads will fit in a Walmart pill bottle, but I usually just carry them loose in my pocket - they don't bend.

Pretty much anything will work as demooner. Car keys, ballpoint pen, short screwdriver, etc.

Just to be clear, you took 3 S&W 637-2 guns, and had replacement cylinders fitted, using .357 cylinders cut for 9mm Luger with moonclips. Is that right??

Just to be clear, you took 3 S&W 637-2 guns, and had replacement cylinders fitted, using .357 cylinders cut for 9mm Luger with moonclips. Is that right??

I did it with a .38 cylinder… not gaining anything by using a .357 cylinder. They are not beefier or stronger.

When you convert the longer chambering to 9mm, moon clips are required to headspace. No moon clip, the 9mm will fall too deep into the cylinder.

When you convert the longer chambering to 9mm, moon clips are required to headspace. No moon clip, the 9mm will fall too deep into the cylinder.

This is not my experience with 9mm Luger & .38Spl/.357 Magnum.

#1, if the 9mm chamber is properly cut, you do not need a moon clip for headspacing. The clip IS needed for extraction in a DA revolver, but not for headspace.

#2, cutting a .38 cylinder to 9mm requires more than just cutting the cylinder to fit the clips, it also requires cutting each chamber to take the 9mm round.

A 9mm Luger round WILL NOT go all the way into an unmodified .38Spl or .357 chamber. By the specs the 9mm case is .391" at the head, while the .38/.357 are .379". The 0.012" difference in diameter prevents the 9mm from going all the way into a .38Spl chamber.

Back