Revolver conversion to moon clips

Currently, I carry the gun AIWB in a Philster holster. I carry 1 Safariland speedloader in my right front pocket with nothing else.

While the gun is rated for 357 mag, the shooter is only 38 Spcl +p rated.
I would carry moon clips the same.

Cheap test.

Get one moon clip and load it with rounds.
Carry around in your pocket for a while. Does it get bent or rounds dislodged?

Load the gun with it. No, it won't go in an unmodified cylinder so you can shoot with it but you can soon find out how to line it up and drop it in vs speed loader.

in that case, what id do is have the gun rechambered for 9mm and use 960 rowland in it. why? why go through that hassle?

About a 960 Rowland conversion:

1. It would need to be rechambered for 9X23, because the Rowland uses a 9X23 case.

2. The 960 Rowland runs at 40,000 to 45,000 psi, which exceeds 9mm +P pressure of 38,500 psi. TK Custom says not to exceed 9mm standard pressure of 35,000 psi in their conversions - no 9mm +P. So using 960 Rowland would greatly exceed their recommended operating pressure guidelines.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/960-rowland-review/77904

Last edited:
I saw a 940 that had been reamed from 9mm P to 9x23 with enough room for .38 Super.
I did not shoot it or see it being shot, it was on a trade table at the range for sale.

Here is my J frame reload setup for EDC.
A leather holder for the 5 round SL Vairant speedloader and an 8 round speed strip which gives me 13 rounds total reload capacity. It's carried in my right rear pocket with easy thumb and finger access immediately to the variant speedloader.

Beats reaching deep into my right front jeans pocket searching for the end of the speedloader. I would not do this with an HKS becasue grabbing the knob has a risk of letting the rounds loose. The speedloader is usally loaded with a truncated tip bullet like the Horandy FTX for easier placement into the chamber holes.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 643
I imagine that if you carry two j frame moonclip loads loose in you poscket, they will eventually get tangled up.

I found you are more likely to have a string or something hooked on the clip or a round.

But I don’t recommend carrying moonclips without any sort of carrier.

bUDnXNv.jpg

Gwzr5eM.jpg

Those, easy index… pop the carrier off and you are ready to reload.

There is an additional downside to having the work done, though it may not be of any concern to you.

You will have permanently altered the gun. This affects the resale market. Custom work that permanently alters the gun turns some people on (the ones who think like you do) and turns some people off.

Don't think that having the gun altered to take moon clips increases the value. That will be entirely in the eyes of the prospective buyer. If tis not a feature they find desirable, they won't pay extra for it. Even the people who find it desirable are unlikely to pay more to get it, on your used gun. They'll be looking for a deal too...

Additionally, if you do go to sell it, be sure to include a good supply of the clips, and don't expect to get what you spent on them, either.

These things may, or may not matter to you, but they are things to consider and decide on, one way, or the other.

About a 960 Rowland conversion:

1. It would need to be rechambered for 9X23, because the Rowland uses a 9X23 case.

2. The 960 Rowland runs at 40,000 to 45,000 psi, which exceeds 9mm +P pressure of 38,500 psi. TK Custom says not to exceed 9mm standard pressure of 35,000 psi in their conversions - no 9mm +P. So using 960 Rowland would greatly exceed their recommended operating pressure guidelines.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/960-rowland-review/77904
if the gun its going into is rated for 357 magnum, 960 would work fine. the only issue i could maybe see, is if the chambers arent bored out far enough. i dont have enough experience with tk custom to know if they bore out the cylinder just barely enough for 9mm or they extend it out longer. but if not, id bet tk custom would bore it out a little longer for you if you wanted

Here is my J frame reload setup for EDC.
A leather holder for the 5 round SL Vairant speedloader and an 8 round speed strip which gives me 13 rounds total reload capacity. It's carried in my right rear pocket with easy thumb and finger access immediately to the variant speedloader.

Beats reaching deep into my right front jeans pocket searching for the end of the speedloader. I would not do this with an HKS becasue grabbing the knob has a risk of letting the rounds loose. The speedloader is usally loaded with a truncated tip bullet like the Horandy FTX for easier placement into the chamber holes.
attachment.php

attachment.php
i have to say. i LOVE the idea of speed strips. i cant get the technique down myself. but the idea of having those rounds all in one that you can load as many or as few as you want is very appealing. especially since they are so thin

if the gun its going into is rated for 357 magnum, 960 would work fine. the only issue i could maybe see, is if the chambers arent bored out far enough. i dont have enough experience with tk custom to know if they bore out the cylinder just barely enough for 9mm or they extend it out longer. but if not, id bet tk custom would bore it out a little longer for you if you wanted

The gun handling the pressure is one thing. 45,000 psi is real close to the proof load pressure of 47,000 psi for 357 Magnum. That's too close to push one's luck. And I suspect few people will want to take your word for it that it's no problem for the gun.

The other thing is why TK says not to run run higher than 35,000 psi rounds through the gun. The cases will stick. Giving advice contrary to the manufacturer/gunsmith is not advisable. They have more experience/knowledge than you do.

https://tkcustom.com/pages/9mm-rechambering

Note:

Our work on cylinders rechambered to 9mm are LIMITED to our customer's using standard 9mm ammo or low pressure reloads, which are 34,000 - 35,000 psi chamber pressure or less. Same chamber pressures apply to firing of .38 SPL & .357 Mag. Examples of FACTORY Brands are: Winchester, Federal & Remington.

Absolutely NO 9mm Nato, 9mm +P or 9mm +P+, all which are far beyond the 34,000 - 35,000 psi chamber pressure our Ruger .45 ACP & 9mm cylinder machining is intended for. Usually 38,500 psi, which WILL Stick!

If you try to use these high pressure ammo, you will experience cases sticking in all chambers.

We cannot warranty our work, if you disregard our warning/notice on high pressure ammo.

When rechambered to 9mm the cylinder will still shoot NON-HIGH Pressure ammo, 38 SPL or 357 Mag with or without the proper moonclip.

Reloaded range brass, with the unsupported barrel chamber bulge, will not resize properly and results in inferior ammo for use in this conversion!

Well, I bought them….ugh! Should be a good test before I blow 100’s on machining, clips and loader/unloaders.

Well, I guess I’m not sure…

First the revolver is this LINK

SS cylinder and scandium frame.

I got the idea because the 642 comes cut for moon clips.

“Easier” means with less struggle than it have with a speedloader. I use the safariland. I get it aligned, but occasionally a round hangs up in the loader or I rip a round out of the cylinder discarding it. I assume the clip fixes those 2 items. I carry the SL in an empty pocket. It’s ok, except for those issues causing finicky reloads which causes me to slow down to get it right.

When I say fast, I mean fast to drop in and close the cylinder.

I think TK or ten ring would do the work.

How common are bent moon clips coming out of a pocket?
I think it might be better to ask S&W if they will sell you a cylinder cut for the moon clips. You KNOW they're equipped to do it.

If they'll do it, and it turns out you don't like it, you can put your gun back to stock.

I think it might be better to ask S&W if they will sell you a cylinder cut for the moon clips. You KNOW they're equipped to do it.

It’s probably worth asking, but they are weird about things like that.

Always worthwhile to ask, but if they aren't interested or willing, is it "wierd" for them to refuse to disrupt their production schedule for one single customer?

Or is it just practical???

Back