Revolver Competitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as revolvers being 'handicapped'....I invite you to run your happy ass downrange and I'll show you how handicapped they are--not.
END

Treadhead I would accept a proposal of use both using sim guns (no need to die or kill to prove a point) you a revolver and me a Glock. Pack your standard carry amount me my plain clothes set up. Start the coarse with each of in different parts of a building or woods and see who wins. You will have less room for error because of your smaller ammunition supply.
PAT

PAT -
This may be true 99% of the time but the exceptions kill you. I would rather plan for the worst hope for the best and take what I get. A auto is a better defenisve firearm.
PAT

I actually agree with you when you say a pistol could have an advantage over a revolver only about 1% of the time (in certain scenarios).

I think what you fail realize is, outside of your perfect little world, the revolver would have an advantage over a pistol in certain scenarios as well (and probably more common and frequent scenarios than those in which the pistol would have the advantage).

So I guess I can agree with you in the pistol will have an advantage over the revolver approximately 1% of the time, and then add, the revolver would have an advantage over the pistol approximately 2% of the (time based on more the common scenarios where a revolver would have an advantage).

I would rather plan for the worst hope for the best and take what I get.

Bottom Line: Both have their strengths and weakness, and neither has a significant real world advantage over the other. Good tactics and planning can help overcome the weaknesses inherent in both systems.

Last edited:
Treadhead I would accept a proposal of use both using sim guns (no need to die or kill to prove a point) you a revolver and me a Glock. Pack your standard carry amount me my plain clothes set up. Start the coarse with each of in different parts of a building or woods and see who wins. You will have less room for error because of your smaller ammunition supply.

There you go again with the "realistic" scenarios. I don't often go stalking folks that I know to be armed in real life, but if I did, you go head and take a Glock; I'm taking a Mossberg.

And what's this "less room for error" thing? When I shoot at someone I have zero room for error. I own that bullet and whatever it hits so I make damn well sure it hits the intended target. What're you going to do with your "greater ammunition capacity", lay down suppressive fire? What've they been teachin' you up there, anyway?

You're reminding me of this instructor at the local range who was going to demonstrate disarms to one of our better IPSC guys who had a simunitions gun strapped on. The dialog went a little something like this:

"Okay, now, I'm about to disarm you, so I want *OUCH!* What'd you do that for?!?"
"You said you were about to disarm me so I shot you."
"No, no. What I'm going to do is take away your gun and *OUCH!* Stop that!"

:rolleyes: :p

Quote:
You will have less room for error because of your smaller ammunition supply.

Seems to me you are placing more importance on capacity than the proficiency of the shooter. :rolleyes: I still believe high capacity handguns promote sloppiness. I feel very confident carrying my wheel---and don't feel the least bit 'under'gunned.

then add, the revolver would have an advantage over the pistol approximately 2% of the (time based on more the common scenarios where a revolver would have an advantage).
END

There is no advantage of a revolver over an auto in a self defense situation. NONE

Trailhead. I place shooter skill over equipment but if you noticed were talking about guns not skill. I personally normally score expert with all the guns I use.

Tamara again were talking pistols as thats what most of us have most of the time. When I know I am going into a bad situation my Remington 870 stays in the rig and my CAR15 comes out.
PAT

Do you really come on to this forum to share knowledge or are you just some kind of agent provocateur trying to stir up trouble. In the short time I have been this forum you have come across as a very angry man not willing to listen/read others opinions.

I myself don’t profess to be an expert since I don’t make my living at this, but I definitely believe in the sharing of knowledge and also in constructive criticism. To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, If I can light another candle from my wick I make the world a brighter place.

Knowledge is power

Semiautos have several disadvantages in a defensive situation compared to revolvers.

1) Magazines. Not as reliable as the cylinder on a revolver, period.

2) reciprocating slide. A semiauto needs clearence for the slide to work. Revolvers don't. Try shooting your semi when it's partially entangled by, say, a jacket or coat. Or from a close forward retention position (ouch!).

3) Limp-wrist. A firm, solid grip is required on a semi to operate properly. all thats required in a revolver is a triggerpull.

Now, if I have a couple of speed strips in my pocket, I wouldn't consider myself "capacity limited" by any stretch. But then again, this is a defensive situation remember, so why are you taking part in a firefight? Shoot to end an immediate threat; SEEK COVER; get the flock outa there as the shepherd would say. Thats what you should be doing.

Pat said,

There is no advantage of a revolver over an auto in a self defense situation. NONE

Hmmm, here's a couple. Whether or not they may account for that magic 1% of combat occurrences, that's for the reader to decide.

You are in a man-on-man struggle that goes to ground. You can get your sidearm out, but you can only wedge the muzzle against his body. The slide gets depressed backwards on your Glock, activating the disconnector, and renders it useless. Or, you get that FIRST shot off. His flesh, blood and bone blows back into the gun, and it cannot return to battery for the next shot. What about the less than ideal grip that your hand/wrist is forced into because of the situation? Another one-shot gun. Revolvers don't limpwrist!

In a vehicle stop, the driver opens fire on you from inside the car. You don't remain standing, draw, assume your favorite stance and return fire through the window! No, you crouch down, duck and/or falter backwards to some extent to get more of that car between you and him. Despite its name, the .357 Sig does not, and cannot hold a candle to the power available in the .357 Magnum when penetration may just in fact help you to LIVE in this scenario. Revolvers have the power edge!

"Okay, now, I'm about to disarm you, so I want *OUCH!* What'd you do that for?!?"
"You said you were about to disarm me so I shot you."
"No, no. What I'm going to do is take away your gun and *OUCH!* Stop that!"

:D

In the last fifty-some-odd years of being around handguns and people with handguns, about the only notable difference I've seen is that the semi-autos are a bit easier to hide. A hit from an H&R 9-shot is better than a miss from a Desert Eagle. A hit from a Colt Woodsman is better than a miss from a Redhawk.

If you need more than two or three shots in a self-defense situation, you got beaucoup more problems working against you than the choice of type of handgun can solve.

Art

PAT -
PAT
PAT -

I see several people have beaten me to listing some of the advantages a revolver has over a pistol in some more common scenaros--some of the advantages listed are are admittedly more important than others but nonetheless a revolver as some advantages over a pistol in certain scenarios.

The two most important advantages of a revolver as I see it were brought out by Victor Louis:

1. A revolver can be fired in a contact situation--a pistol cannot. In a near contact situation, a pistol is more likely to be jammed than a revolver by the biological biproducts of a close-range discharge. You may say training, skill, situation awareness, etc. will help keep you out of contact or near-contact situation, and I would agree with you. If you say you will never be involved in contact situation, I would say you were a fool.

2. Revolvers are not subject to limp-wristing--pistols are (some, like the Glock, are far worse than others. You may train religiously, and it may never happen to you on the range, but if you find yourself in a life or death struggle, maybe wounded and bleeding, slippery hands as result of the struggle and/or blood or other liquid, and you can very easily end up with a jammed pistol. (It happened I believe to a NY officer not to long ago--wounded, weakened, bloody hands and a jammed Glock.)

Other advantages those listed by Alexis Machine to which I would add (1) revolvers are far less ammo sensitive (even top line manufacturers of defensive/LE ammunition occassionally let a bad round slip through. One hard primer, one misfire and you have a two-handed/defenseless situation with a pistol--with a revolver pull the trigger again (and if worse to comes to worse, they make a better club). (2) Revolvers work better around cover both in terms of requiring less clearance and less likely to jam because of poor clearance, FTE, etc. than can occur with a pistol shooting around cover.

You seem hung up on ammo capacity, but I guarantee you can maintain sustained with a revolver far better than you can with a pistol (unless you have an unlimited supply loaded magazines--not a likely situation). I proved this to my brother--he was shooting a shooting a G32 with four high-caps and two ten-rounders. Over a couple of hours shooting, I put more ammo downrange (and on-target) than he was able to do. ( I don't really see this as a siginificant advantage, but you, on the otherhand, seem hung up on ammo capacity.)

You also seem to be hung up on long-range accuracy with handgun. A service revolver is capable of better long range accuracy than a service pistol, an will deliver a round with more authority (more retained energy--see below) at those longer ranges than a pistol. (Again, I don't see the handgun as long-range weapon, but you seem hung up on 100 yard shots with your G31/33.)

And finally, as Victor Louis pointed out revolvers are just more powerful than pistols. The vaunted 357 Sig is just a pale image of the .357 Magnum 125-grain JHP. It's not even in the same ballpark as the 158-grain Gold Dots @ 1475 fps I keep in my M27 (which by the way, I can "unload" on a target quicker and more accurately than a G32 (or a Beretta 96)--less muzzle flip.

Last edited:
Lets address each point as it happens.

1) Magazines. Not as reliable as the cylinder on a revolver, period.

SNIP

Wrong Revolvers misfire, bullets jump crimp cases get stuck under the extractor star. In my expierence revolvers of good quality are no more reliable that autos of good quality. No matter what you may say period.

2) reciprocating slide. A semiauto needs clearence for the slide to work. Revolvers don't. Try shooting your semi when it's partially entangled by, say, a jacket or coat. Or from a close forward retention position (ouch!).

SNIP

I have trained to fire from a retention position and its easy yes an auto can be stopped by pushing the slide back slightly but a revolver can be stopped by simply grabbing the cylinder. If your that close its time for some grappling and martial art skills not gun play.

3) Limp-wrist. A firm, solid grip is required on a semi to operate properly. all thats required in a revolver is a triggerpull

Depends on the design. Some autos are more sensitive than others. This is a training issue. I have no problems firing weak handed and no one will that has proper training. The revolver is difficult to fire for those of weak hand strength due to its DA pull. Also try reloading a auto one handed vs a revolver.

I am not hung up on capacity. If I had the choice between a Glock 31 loaded with 6 rounds or a Smith 686 Plus with 7 I would take the glock.
PAT

In my expierence revolvers of good quality are no more reliable that autos of good quality. No matter what you may say period.

...and in my experience they are more reliable; I've had more stoppages with autos than with revolvers. No matter what you may say period.

Hmmm. Your experience says one thing, mine says another, and neither is likely to budge; impasse.

(PS Jump crimp? With jacketed bullets? I have never seen a factory-loaded jacketed 125gr or 158gr .357 jump crimp. I avoid the problem with my 296Ti by following the instructions stamped right on the gun: "max bullet 200 gr".)

(PPS The shrouded-hammer 296 can be fired from inside my purse. Repeatedly. What auto can do that?)

(PPPS With the "pushed out of battery" bit, we're not talking about the bad guy using some gun-fu to tie up your piece; we're referring to the fact that when encounters take place at bad-breath range, sometimes you inadvertently shove the muzzle against your foe before pulling the trigger. This may cause an auto not to, you know, function. The revolver has no such issues.)

(PPPPS Funny how you talk about limpwristing not being an issue with proper training, then list "empties getting caught under the extractor star" as a problem with revos. Speaking of not being a problem with proper technique and training... ;) )

Just shows what a handicap the wheelgun is that it needs its own league.

They also have single-stack exclusive leagues for 1911’s. Care to deny the preponderance of evidence (test evaluations and competition) that more “average” 1911 shooters can draw, fire and place rounds on target than the “average” Glock shooter? Sure, we are talking revolvers, but your “need their own league” statement is simply ridiculous. Many, 1911’s compete against Glocks in such competitions as IDPA and the almighty Glocks seem to “fall” to the best of them.

There is no advantage of a revolver over an auto in a self defense situation.

As has already been pointed out, there are some. So much for the “absolutes” from the "experts".

An auto is a better defensive firearm.

Well, police involved shootings nationwide don’t support that premise. Just how did we survive against burgeoning crime as a nation before autos became commonplace?

You will have less room for error because of your smaller ammunition supply.

So, it is the logistical aspect, is it? Never mind that the vast majority of actual civilian self-defense shootings nationwide seldom involve the discharge of the full complement of most six-shooters.

From another thread on auto versus revolver for CCW, but applicable if ammunition capacity is to be the focus:

Carry a 10 round Glock 27 or 33 or a Glock 26 with 11 rounds and be done with it.

How nice of you to support Bill Clinton’s 10 round magazine limit for us lowly civilians. It's guys like you that bear witness for many of the "cop-bashing" threads we see all too often anymore.

And for the police nationwide, the switch from revolvers to semi-automatics has resulted in a pathetic increase in the hit-to-miss ratio in police shootings. Some critics say this only increases the potential for bystanders to be hit by all of those additionally fired rounds, bound for nowhere in particular. Additionally, the number of officers slain in the line of duty as a result of shootings has not markedly changed either, despite the increase in the number of officers, lower violent crime rates and large steps being taken in technology and firepower at departments nationwide.

I would accept a proposal of use both using sim guns (no need to die or kill to prove a point) you a revolver and me a Glock. Pack your standard carry amount me my plain clothes set up. Start the coarse with each of in different parts of a building or woods and see who wins. You will have less room for error because of your smaller ammunition supply.

First off, I would agree that the “You go downrange and let me shoot you to prove a point” suggestions are pretty infantile. But how about you and your CAR-15 versus someone equipped with a bolt action or single shot starting out at 1,000 yards over moderately wooded, rolling terrain and see who wins?:rolleyes:

So, tell me again how these mighty automatics are going to save the day in law enforcement and make us poor civilians safer overall from crime as a result? ;)

(PPS The shrouded-hammer 296 can be fired from inside my purse. Repeatedly. What auto can do that?)
SNIP
Why?

Training teaches us to have out gun out of the holster or container before we fire. There is no reason to fire inside a purse pocket or anything like that.

(PPPS With the "pushed out of battery" bit, we're not talking about the bad guy using some gun-fu to tie up your piece; we're referring to the fact that when encounters take place at bad-breath range, sometimes you inadvertently shove the muzzle against your foe before pulling the trigger. This may cause an auto not to, you know, function. The revolver has no such issues.)

SNIP

Again training you don't push the muzzle against your foe but rather you pull back into a weapon retention position and fire. Maybe revolvers are a good choice for those who lack the ability to be trainable and who revert to poor gun handling habits.
PAT

And for the police nationwide, the switch from revolvers to semi-automatics has resulted in a pathetic increase in the hit-to-miss ratio in police shootings
END

Jager sorry bud but your facts are wrong. Police hit ratio has stayed at a fairly level 25% before and after revovlers. Round count has gone up but percentages are the same overall. Thats a patrol average. Swat averages are much higher around 90%. The reason is not equipment however but rather mindset. When your responding to a DV that turns out you and catches you off guard your less likly to hit. Compare that to knowing the threat is armed and your armed with 4 others backing you up and your in control. Also why the name calling (so called expert) if you disagree with me fine but try to be a bit more professional.
PAT

Again training you don't push the muzzle against your foe but rather you pull back into a weapon retention position and fire. Maybe revolvers are a good choice for those who lack the ability to be trainable and who revert to poor gun handling habits.

All well and good in theory.

"Hah! The cardboard target is close to me! I will draw as I take a half-step backwards and shoot from the retention position, thus..."

Except real life isn't always so obliging...

"Oof! The critter has blindsided me! I will draw as I take a half-step ba...*thud!*" ...and bump into the wall behind me, fouling my gun arm as my elbow makes contact with the bricks, leaving my gun barely clear of the holster and Mr. Critter pressing up against the muzzle. Hey! Not fair! This isn't how it went at Thunder Ranch!

PAT -

Nice try, PAT. You responded to weakest arguments (and then, only half-way with a lot of your usual half-truths). You chose ignore the other arguments or else had no answer for them (most likely).
Revolvers misfire, bullets jump crimp cases get stuck under the extractor star. In my expierence revolvers of good quality are no more reliable that autos of good quality.
1. "Revolvers misfire." So do pistols. With the revolver, you pull the trigger again--one handed, automatic, instantaneous fix (you do not lose your sight picture, your grip or "change gears" in terms of focus and concentration. With a pistol, you remove your finger from the trigger/trigger guard, you remove your off-hand from its firing position, you rack the slide (try to doing that with cold, wet, slippery hand--or maybe after already catching a bullet, and strong recoil/hammer springs), you tap the magazine vigourously, you return your off-hand to its firing positon, you move your trigger finger back into the trigger guard and onto the trigger, your reaquire your sight picture (and hope like hell, the guy whose revolver misfired hasn't shot you five times while you were going through this exercise).

2. "Bullets jump crimp." Maybe. I've never had it happen, and never seen it happen. I don't shoot titanium/scandium revolvers (which are advertised as being prone to this phenomena). It will not happen with correct ammo for the weapon and for the mission. If it does happen, it would be "opertor error" of the same class as loading a magazine with wrong ammunition.

3. "Cases get stuck under the extractor star." Operator error pure and simple--tantamount to inserting a magazine backwards. Not a problem with moon clips. If you eject your empties correctly, they will not get stuck under the extractor. (Besides, there is only one old former black powder calibre is really prone to this.)

To be honest, I see no difference in substantive reliabilty between a revolver and good quality, well-maintained pistol--the operative word being "well-maintained." A pistol is maintenance intensive compared to a revolver. Both pistols and revolvers subject to operator errors that can be mistaken (as you have chosen to do) for reliability problems. Both are subject catastrophic mechanical failure more or less equally--mechanical equipment/parts does break. The pistols biggest weakness in the reliability arena are its magazines and ammo sensitivity. Magazines are subject to damage by use and just by being carried. The damage can be hard to catch in a visual inspection (slightly bent magazine lips can cause feeding problems), and even if you checked them before shift, they are subject damage/abuse just during your day-to-day routine of in and out of the car, through doors in and out of buildings, struggles. You can never be a hundred percent sure that magazine you have been carrying on your belt will work (and when a magazine goes down, you effectlively lose all the ammo in the magazine). A revolver is much less sensitive to ammo variations (as an aside, giving much greater versatility), and it does not depend on ammunition to cycle the action. I would say it's a toss-up as to which causing the most reliability problems: operator or ammo, but the pistol is more sensitive to both. I think we can both agree the pistol has the more complicated manual of arms, and more complicated the procedure, the greater the chances of operator error.
yes an auto can be stopped by pushing the slide back slightly but a revolver can be stopped by simply grabbing the cylinder. If your that close its time for some grappling and martial art skills not gun play.
1. "A revolver can be stopped by simply grabbing its cylinder." That's not what we were talking about. If a bad guy(s) have you down and it's a hand-to-hand struggle, and you jam your weapon (primary or back-up) up against his body and pull the trigger your revolver will fire--a pistol will not (a Glock might fire, but the resulting small explosion--often referred to asa "kB!"--will probably hurt you more than the bady guy). Couple that with maybe being flat on your back, in an awkward position, or in very tight quarters (how about the floor of your patrol unit with the bad on top of you doing his best to kill you, you want something can fire repeatedly at any angle and with any grip (after all you may not be able to lock your wrist).

2. "A revolver can be stopped by simply grabbing its cylinder." It can be done but it's not quite that simple--you have to know (and remember) to do it, and it is really not that easy to do--it takes a good grip and lot of strength to stop a cylinder from rotating when there's a desparate person pulling the trigger struggling to get the weapon free--and remember the guy on the trigger has the leverage/grip advantage--(maybe a little simpler than a bad guy disassemblying your Beretta while you're holding him a gunpoint but the same principle).

3. "If your that close its time for some grappling and martial art skills not gun play. " Sure, the situation has gone totally to hell, the bad guy has got you down flat on between the curb (they have those in Bethel, don't they) and your patrol unit, beating the hell out of you and doing his level best to make sure someone collects your life insurance, and YOU are going to throw away your gun and scream, "Hi! Karate!" Sometimes, PAT, I don't know whether its from just being sheltered, a lack or experience, or just plain overconfidence, I wonder about you.
Depends on the design. Some autos are more sensitive than others. This is a training issue. I have no problems firing weak handed and no one will that has proper training. The revolver is difficult to fire for those of weak hand strength due to its DA pull. Also try reloading a auto one handed vs a revolver.
1. " Depends on the design. Some autos are more sensitive than others." It is an issue/potential with pistols. It does depend on the design--unfortunately, one of the more popular pistols in LE (which you regularly recommend to LEOs and private citizens) is perhaps the most prone of all current handguns designs to limp-wristing.

2. "This is a training issue." It is on the range. On the street, with adrenalin pumping and everything going wrong that can wrong, training can (usually) goes out the window--"plans are fine until the first bullet is fired." You can be forced to shoot in an awkward position. Your hands can be cold and wet and slippery (blood--which is very slick--on any other liquid). You can be wounded. You can be going into medical shock. On the street, you can limp wrist no matter how well-trained you are and no matter how good your intentions are.

3. "The revolver is difficult to fire for those of weak hand strength due to its DA pull. " It is difficult to rack the slide of pistol for those of weak hand strength. Generally, in dealing with those who have weak hands, you recommend a DA revolver because it is easier to pull the trigger (and you can always handcock if you are really struggling) than to rack a slide. Don't forget, it was SA Mireles wounded, one-handed and weak who put an end to the Great Miami Shoot-Out with a S&W Model 13 (revolver, PAT) loaded .38 Special LSWCHPs. Your grasping at straws, PAT.

4. " Also try reloading a auto one handed vs a revolver." Neither is particularly easy. Under ideal conditions (and if everything went right), it might be slightly easier with the pistol, but under combat conditions, it would be wash. It would be more complicated for the pistols if slide inadvertently dropped during the reloading process (relatively easy to do with the magazine out), and I would say you would be more likely to introduce debris/foreign objects into a pistol causing functioning during a one-handed reload under combat conditions. If I was really concerned this might be a signficant factor, I would opt for revolver with moon-clips--guaranteed one-handed faster reload than with any one-handed pistol reload.
I am not hung up on capacity. If I had the choice between a Glock 31 loaded with 6 rounds or a Smith 686 Plus with 7 I would take the glock.
PAT
I am glad to see you finally acknowledge capacity is a non-issue. Now, if you can refrain in the future from citing as issue in revolvers versus pistols threads, high capacity magazines threads, 357/.40/9 versus .45 ACP, I won't have to bookmark this thread so I come back here and quote you every time you bring it up.

For consistency's sake, you probably want to go back and remove all references you made to capacity in this thread alone otherwise some people might think you're either foolish or less than truthful.

Pat,

Police hit ratio has stayed at a fairly level 25% before and after revovlers. Round count has gone up but percentages are the same overall.

Nice dodge on the issues I presented.

Now to use your typical line:

"Got a source for that statistic?"

Comparing, say, police hit-miss-ratio from 1975 using revolvers to 1995 using semi-automatics?

Also, please define "round count".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back