Revolver Competitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaGlock

Inactive
As y'all may notice, I'm new here. I'm a contributor on several other boards, but this is my first foray into TFL.

What competative events are available to revolver shooters? Is there a Bullseye-like event? It's my understanding that most cowboy-action stuff revolves (heh) around the single action; is there room there for double action guys, or are we the illegitimate children they don't want to acknowledge? :)

In addition to a raft of semi-autos I have a Taurus 669 compensated 6" and a S&W 60-9 (5 shot J-frame), both in .357/.38. As a matter of fact, as with many, the .38 Special (Taurus, in my case) was my first centerfire handgun. I've always loved my wheelguns, but have never done anything with them other than plinking. Now that I'm a member of an indoor range (an important consideration in Oregon in the winter) I am hoping to do so. I've also got a Winchester 94 in .357, so in case they ever do open up CAS to doubles, I'm ready. ;)

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. What do you folks compete in?

-- PG

There is ICORE which is a ISPC type game for revolvers only.( Just shows what a handicap the wheelgun is that it needs its own league) and there is alwasy the revolver competitionin bowling pin shoots.
PAT

Many competetive handgun shooting events would be open to revolvers. A very few are brand or type specific.

A good shooter with a good wheelgun can go head to head with most autoloader shooters.......and win.

Bowling pins, bug shoots, NRA bullseye etc etc.

Sam

In addition to ICORE, both IPSC and IDPA have revolver categories.

You can shoot everything in NRA National Match (bullseye) except the Service Pistol match with a revolver.

The PPC (Practical Police Course) is built around the .38 revolver. They have auto matches now, but the .38 is still the main gun. You can't go to the Nationals, that is for LEOs only, but you might can get in a local league.

NRA Action Pistol = Bianchi Cup is at least equal opportunity for revolvers.

There is a revolver class in handgun Metallic Silhouette.

Most or all of these formats have stock gun categories so you don't have to spend a ton of money on gunsmithing to be competitive.

Check the parent organizations for clubs near you.

Go shooting. Competition stimulates the metabolism, plinking gets dull.

GO TO

www.uspsa.org and use the "club-finder" function.

Go, watch, ask, join, compete, enjoy!

You'll need at least six speedloaders.
My wife uses a 4" GP100, and I use a 4" GP100, or one of three 5.5" Redhawks (still collecting loaders for my 7.5" 357 Redhawk).

Hum...

If revolvers are so handicapped, I wonder why semi-autos haven't been more competitive over the years in Bianchi Cup competition...

Oh well. Never interfere with Msser Chauvin. It just pisses him off. :rolleyes:

Large-bore silhouette competitions are dominated by revos. In a slow fire competition like these, the balance, SA trigger pulls, and accuracy of revos make them king. You owe it to yourself to check them out, they are lots of fun.

355SigFan

You are speaking with apparent wisdom and knowledge as you say the revolver is in some manner a handicap. Please shed some positive light concerning this and indicate which handgun I need to use so I won't be handicapped.
This is a fine open forum and I am asking for a answer.
Teach me so that I may know the facts.
Respectfully,
Don Mallard

One of the problems with "competition"....

is that often, the designer has had an axe to grind.

For instance: When PPC was actually used as a training and evaluating tool for lawmen, revolver shooters loaded from pockets and autopistol shooters were restricted to one magazine. Also reloaded from the pocket.

For instance: When Jeff Cooper started up "combat shooting" in the late '60s, he designed them so a revolver could not possibly keep up. [First stage: Upon whistle, fire six rounds at target number one and then......]

When courses are designed to test the shooter, rather than the equipment, one has an interesting course of fire. Consider the Mexican Defense Course; the original, not the SWPL's modification. Thirty rounds total, and no single stage exceeds the limits of any belt gun.

It sounds like the Bianchi Cup has that sort of balance. If my memory serves, the Steel Challenge does not require any reloads.

I guess this is more of a rant, but it's been a burr under my blanket for some time. The twenty round burst has no practical use in reality.

355SigFan

355sigfan made a remark in this fine public forum and I have asked that he continue with his presentations of the facts in the same public forum.
He opened the door for my question and he should answer.
Don Mallard

Skip it, Don, you won't get any explanation, only more diatribe. I've asked that before. I've gotten older waiting, but never less interested. I've also come to the realization that it's simply a groundless prejudice....

Revolver shooters need their own league because the other venues place silly restrictions on revolvers (fear factor?). They need to pay attention to the realities of current revolver design.

ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts) is an all-revolver organization. Check out http://www.icore.org.

The gentleman who usually takes first place when he competes is Jerry Miculek who created the world records of 8 shots on target(in a nice grouping) at 5 yds in 1 second, 12 shots with reload (6/6)in less than 3 seconds. There are several individuals always breathing down his neck as well.

This is a great lay back group with less of the game playing I find in IPSC crowds. We have had an obscenely generous variety of catagories at the International Revolver Championship match with prizes for PPC and IDPA style revolvers, but most shoot with 7 or 8 shot S&Ws with moonclips or other quickload devices.

By the way, I am a very non-competitive lay back type who just does the competition for the activity and company, but without any particular effort I regularly place in C class in IPSC style competition doing about 30% to 40% of highly competitive open class auto shooters. Probably get more of a kick out of annoying the competitive auto shooters who place behind me than anything else. Wouldn't expect to feel handicapped in a real world situation in terms of hardware.

Last edited:
Here's another funky fact...

A revolver action is FASTER, mechanically, that a semi-automatic. Ed McGivern could dump 6 rounds from a revolver in under half the time it took for a semi-automatic.

355SigFan
You are speaking with apparent wisdom and knowledge as you say the revolver is in some manner a handicap. Please shed some positive light concerning this and indicate which handgun I need to use so I won't be handicapped.

END

Don revolvers are handicapped in combat style games like ISPC because of their slower reload times, lower capacity and heaiver DA triggers. Even the Bianchi cup is starting to get dominated by Auto's in the winners circle. The revolver dominates some events that require high power like silloette shooting (sorry spelling). Autos have not broken into the magnum only ground and I don't think they will. But for small bore bulleye, large bore bulleye and ISPC competition the Auto is usually the winner. Yes some revolver shooters do very well. And yes a revolver can be shot faster than an auto if the shooter is capable. In reality however most can not shoot a revolver as fast accuately as they can a auto.
PAT

A very good revolver shooter can beat a good autoloader shooter if they are very good at that particular game.

And vice versa.

Sam

355sigfan....

This is a free country, and you are entitled to your opinion. However, I find it distasteful to 'trash' another persons preference in firearms. If you don't like revolvers that's your business---but to come into this forum and talk sh** about them leads me to believe you have nothing better to do than stir up people.

As far as revolvers being 'handicapped'....I invite you to run your happy ass downrange and I'll show you how handicapped they are--not.

TH

Last edited:
Don revolvers are handicapped in combat style games like ISPC because of their slower reload times, lower capacity and heaiver DA triggers

I actually agree with this statement and don't quite understand the controversy. It holds true at every match I have been to and the ones I have witnessed (combat matches only). This is from a guy who loves revos and has more of these than semi-autos. It is especially true of new shooters. But, I have enough experience to know that there are stunning exceptions to the rule. I for one wouldn't want to go up against Jerry Miculek even if I had a FA M16, but Jerry is not representative of the average competitive shooter. When I shoot a revo in IDPA, it is as a backup gun, not a primary weapon.

Don revolvers are handicapped in combat style games like ISPC because of their slower reload times, lower capacity...

Revolvers are handicapped in combat-style games (let me emphasize that for those in the back: "combat-style GAMES") because your average IPSC stage is something like: "ATM Holdup: Shooter starts with back to three hostile targets in the surrender position. Shooter must turn and engage all three targets, then running forward through the doorway to the 'bank' where he must engage seven more hostile targets interspersed with hostages..."

If this is representative of how you may actually use a pistol in real life, then yes, a revolver is not for you; I'd suggest an MP5 for your daily CCW.

For those of us whose daily worries center more around one, maybe two muggers or a lone rapist, who may or may not be armed, then a revolver is just fine.

For those of us whose daily worries center more around one, maybe two muggers or a lone rapist, who may or may not be armed, then a revolver is just fine.
END

This may be true 99% of the time but the exceptions kill you. I would rather plan for the worst hope for the best and take what I get. A auto is a better defenisve firearm.
PAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back