Reviews on Magtech Ammo pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put me down as another who has used MagTec and like it. It has become my preferred choice in factory ammo for my .44M. The price is slowly climbing, but at one time it was about the cheapest you could find in a factory loading.

Thank you all for your replies. Still does a SJSP expand?? what is the point of this design if HP's are designed for expansion? Am I better of with FMJ in +P or just go with FMJ standard P from S&B?

Good and Bad

I've had good luck with their product, except for some .38spl LRN which had hard primers and extra soft lead. Really fouled the barrel and forcing cone badly, and at times even spit molten lead out the sides. I use their jacketed product though with no problems.

I've shot Magtech hardball range ammo in 9mm and .45acp and it's pretty decent.

Cleaner than WWB and reasonably powerful.

My preference for range ammo is American Eagle, Fiocchi and PMC in that order. But these days, anything that goes bang has to be considered.

Magtech .45 ACP 230gr FMC

I've put quite a few of these rounds through my 1911 and have only had two jams, which were more than likely due to a worn magazine I was using at the time. Pretty decent stuff for the price and seems to burn a bit cleaner than Winchester or Remington.

My son bought some Magtech ammo for my 8 3/8th ,44 Mag. It was so dirty that after two cylinders you had to bang the cases out. I cleaned the gun real good and he had the same problems.

We measured the case lenght and they were 2.57 to 2.56 which is a little short. Cases should be 2.61 I think this was causing the problems.

There are no problems with Hornady or Remington factory loads.

I have only used their .45 ACP FMJ but never had any hiccups with it. That was with 1,000's of rounds through various 1911's.

I've shot plenty of magtech ammo through most of my various handgun. Never had any issues that I can recall. I'd have no problems using it for range ammo.

Only Magtech I shot was some 30 caliber carbine ammo. I had a problem with it. The primers blew out on a lot of it when I shot it. Don't know if it was undersized primers or casings with oversize pockets. Have shot many other brands with no problems. Won't be buying any more Magtech.

I've shot a bunch of Magtech in my 9mms. .45s, and .44 magnum. Decent stuff and reasonably priced (before the current ammo scare)- I'll buy more when prices come down.

The range where I used to work sold Magtech ammo. We never had any problems or complaints. Magtech self defense ammo is highly thought of by many people.

Magtech/CBC

I have used Magtech in 9 MM in the past with no trouble.

However, I recently bought on of their 250 round bulk packs of .38 Special. They went into the guns fine, but after firing I needed my pliers to extract the empties from my revolvers in about 1 round in 5. About half of the rounds did not slide out easily after firing like they should.

I experienced this with two different revolvers and have never had this happen with any other ammo ever. I noticed the casings were marked CBC, not Magtech, and I see by the Magtech web site that they recently merged with CBC (Brazil), Sellier and Beloit (Czech Republic) and some other outfit.

It's normal for the casing to expand and hit the walls of the cylinder on firing, but it should bounce back a little towards it's original size after hitting the cylinder wall. I attempted to reload some of these, and found they were more oversize than other casings I was reloading, and re-sizing took a lot more grunt on the press. My guess is there was something not quite right with the metal they made these casings from. No elasticity.

I tossed the rest of the empties I had. Something was just not right with those casings.

My LGS had 8 boxes in 22lr standard velocity for $3.00/50. I need SV for my M41's, Hammerli, and Belgian Browning target pistols so I took a chance on the MagTech. It was just fine -- quite happy with the ammo performance plus price. I've asked the LGS to try to get me more.

David :)

had bad luck with 454 Casull

I'd suspect they are pretty typical of economy ammo...

I tried a box of their stuff in my 454 Casull, Ruger Alaskan, & the bullets jumped crimp... so I'd be cautious with light weight 357 & 44 mag snubbies, in that regard

I've shot quite a bit of it in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP with decent results. Medium good on accuracy, a little dirty but not as bad as some other more popular brands, but no FTF's or loading issues at all. Just my .02

Fer... Your question about bullet design has gotten lost in the replies to the original question.

It can be quite difficult sometimes to get secondary questions answered in a thread with many participants... It becomes more difficult when the original question brings in several who post only one comment and do not return.

You may need to start a new thread to ask your question.

As far as that question goes... I can't give very credible info on semijacked hollow points. As I do not shoot anything that has them as an option, or hunt or anything that may help gain first hand knowledge.

But as far as I can remember from reading online and tests I have seen, I believe they expand and should work well for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back