restoring a rusted 1848 uberti

thank you gentelmen, yes i hope to go shooting soon after i get this reblued but it will depend on when i can get to the range that is an hour away and with my limited time away from the wife...but i hope to soon. i also got the niple wrench and some 44cal balls and patch's from the guy i got this from when i picked up a S&W 19-3 357 from him the other day.

Last edited:
for my first attempt at reblueing i started with the small parts that you load the bullets into the cylinder for the uberti black powder dragoon i am refinishing and i think they came out good for me, now tomorrow i will do the cylinder and barrel then the reciever...
20151106_173546_zpsviw4qpdj.jpg
20151106_173516_zpsb1wjuhki.jpg

finished with the reblue on the uberti

well i think it came out just how i wanted it to not real blue but looks like a dark greyish. i have four coatsand sanded with steelwool between coats. i like it very much and can not wait to go shoot it. what do you all think for my first time.
DSC_0507_zps24kmtwmq.jpg
DSC_0510_zpsw78u4gmr.jpg

Last edited:
Done, what do you all think?

i finished the uberti and i like the way it turned out and cain't wait to go shoot it. thanks for all your comments about this project...it was fun.

rusted uberti done

thanks to all that looked and commented, i still have not been able to get to the range to shoot this but hope to soon...

You did a great job with it. Cold blue will wear easier than caustic or rust blue but therefore can easily be re-applied and touched up.

Evaporust is also carried by Harbor Freight. I use a competing product called Rust Release (web search it) that is available in a gel as well as a liquid. Both use EDTA to serve as a chelating agent, AFAIK. The Rust Release has a slightly lower pH and acts a little faster, but both work in the end.

Nice job on the Uberti!

Back