remington mosin nagant

Oh, And one more cool thing you might appreciate Outlaw, being a marine and all....Back in Arkansas, a young man taught himself to hunt, shoot and stalk with the Mosin Nagant...The young Man grew into a Marine by the name of Gunny Carlos Hathcock...any rifle good enough for him, is good enough for me...

Semper Fi

well for those of you that say they wouldn't buy any weapon used against us. Please don't buy anything made from 1900 until today. Any weapon on this earth, any brand, any model can be used against american troops and they are. Like a poster above said, the weapon is the object and the human points the object. This goes for the M1 Garands as well. They were used by the emeny.

I have a MN91/30 and I truly love it (My personal feelings only). I didn't buy it because it was cheap, I bought because at first it looked so ugly I thought nobody would ever give it a home. That thing grew on me and baoth my son and I go every 3 weeks and shoot it. Ours is very accurate now (figured out the front sight wire insulation trick)

I also have a M1 Garand on order at CMP and can't wait to bring them both out to the range. I love to collect and use weapons, and to think that my 1937 MN Tula is still going strong is a testiment to the design. Some of today's weapons loosen up and fall apart after 100 rounds, this MN is a work horse.

rant button-OFF-

I can appreciate ur comments and more knowledgeable thoughts. Its just my own thoughts. In the end I guess whatever gets us to be greater sportsmen without breaking the bank is all that matters. Sorry where I was inaccurate on my statement. I just don't have much love for the stuff that may have been used by an opposing force. Y'all be good.

Sorry I think you've been misinformed.
Early before the russian revolution the Czar ordered a large quantities of MNagant from several american gun company, Remington was one of them.
Some have been delivered and some never made it .... the revolution got in the way, the regime change and the balance of the orders never made it.

really? I did not know that. in the eternal words of jack nicholson
well now, don't I feel like a F***ING jackass

sorry bout putting out a load of garbage

Complete original Remington M-N's in good shape with good bores are worth probably twice what they're asking for that one. For as many as there were , they're fairly scarce now. With the millions of Russian-made rifles being imported , the American rifles have achieved Holy Grail status among collectors. The New England Westinghouse guns bring the same if not more.

Funny , at one time ya couldn't give one away.

You still can't hardly give em away. I can't tell u how many times I've walked by a table at gun shows and they're selling for $75 apiece. There's so many of em out there that they just don't carry value. For the price of the rare ones, I don't see the advantage of buying one over an m-14 or garand.

Right... but this one is made in the US... by Remington.. which makes it harder to find.. which to a collector not a shooter.. it is worth more.

There is nothing wrong with a m91/30, they are just old. If you find one with a good bore, they can be great shooters, for cheap.

You still can't hardly give em away. I can't tell u how many times I've walked by a table at gun shows and they're selling for $75 apiece

You do not see tables of Mosin Nagant 1891s for $75 each.

You may see tables of Mosin Nagant 91/30s for $75 each. They are not the same thing.

You may see tables of Mosin Nagant 91/30s for $75 each. They are not the same thing.

I haven't seen one at that price in a long, long time. Cheapest I've seen them around here is $109 and they're usually priced at $129 or more. I'd love to find them for $75 around here, but I think those days are over.

Stu

Guys I'm in se OK. Everything is cheap here. LOL. Even when I go to the bigger shows in Dallas the guns may jump to $100. But is there really a difference? I looked up a couple of the rem nagants. I think the only collectable factor would be the irony of a great weapons manufacturer producing an inferior product. Concerning Remington, its kinda like the 7400 series. Nominal accuracy, but a sound weapon all the same. Like a previous post said, at least u get something to shoot for less.

great weapons manufacturer producing an inferior product.

Inferior to what exactly?

I am fairly certain Vasily Zaitsev would argue differently.

Even our military honors what he did with his Mosin.

Colonel Donald Paquette of the US Sniper School was present and laid a wreath as a sign of respect to a legendary sniper. US Army News quoted Colonel Paquette: "Vasily Zaytsev is a legend and every USA sniper must memorize his tactics and methods. He is a legend in the sniper community. May he rest in peace."[

One day, Zaytsev’s commanding officer called him up and pointed at an enemy soldier in a window 800 meters away. Zaytsev took aim from his standard-issue Mosin-Nagant rifle, and with one shot, the soldier was down. In less than a few moments, two other German soldiers appeared in the window, checking their fallen officer. Vasily fired two more shots, and they were killed. For this, together with the Medal for Valor, Vasily was also awarded a sniper rifle.

I would get it in a heartbeat! My favorite MN is my NEW 91 and a Remington is next on the list. I go out of my way looking for M/N's and I haven't been able to find a Remingtons .

Inferior to maybe an m40 or win70. I think that legendary sniper would agree that given the opportunity, he'd rather have one of those.

I would get it in a heartbeat! My favorite MN is my NEW 91 and a Remington is next on the list. I go out of my way looking for M/N's and I haven't been able to find a Remingtons .
Edit. Don't forget Simo hayha

Used to own one of these back in the early '90s. Back when you could buy them in the dept store Rose's when I was stationed in VA. Can't remember if it was a 91/30 or 1891. What I do remember is I paid just under $100 then. LOVED this rifle (ex sold it :mad:). The only reason I don't have one now is it won't fit in my gun safe. I would absolutely buy a Remington manufacture if able for that price.
Not exactly sure what they would be inferior to back when they were manufactured. Built on the cheap, extremely rugged withstanding harsh Russian winters, easy to operate so that peasants(not professional soldiers) could use it with little or no training, could be used as a damn pike when out of ammo, and contrary to some people's idea that they weren't accurate, NOT! They were perfect for what they were designed for at the time they were made.
As for Gunny Hathcock, having personally known him and sitting at his proverbial knee, the man more than likely could have made a my daughter's Crickett .22 an effective killing weapon at 200 yds:D

my random thoughts... :-)

Don't forget at the time the Russian's fought the bloodiest war to date with the Japanese, long before they ever engaged the Kaiser. While their defeat at the hands of the Turks was humiliating, considering tsarist Russia was most likely the largest empire in the world at the time, I'm sure the Russo-Japanese war had a big impact or was at least a driving factor for the procurement of the vast quantities of the Mosin-Nagant.

I previous owned one. It was inexpensive to buy and cheap to shoot. It reminded me of the Enfield I bought as a young buck back in the early 90s - $69 out of a 50 year old storage crate at a gun show. Unfortunately the CIA had procured most of the surplus .303 for the Afghans in the mid eighties and the rest of it quickly dried up. However, with the Mosin, the surplus ammo seems to be endless; I suppose the former East Block has massive bunkers full of it that are slowly being dumped on the market???

A few days ago some one on here posted pics of a Mosin that he had modernized. I thought it looked great and reminded me of something I would do just to keep myself occupied...

You still can't hardly give em away. I can't tell u how many times I've walked by a table at gun shows and they're selling for $75 apiece. There's so many of em out there that they just don't carry value. For the price of the rare ones, I don't see the advantage of buying one over an m-14 or garand.

Advantage? Over what?
Ya just don't get it. US made M-Ns are COLLECTORS ITEMS. Collectors don't care about how an old military rifle stacks up against anything. I'm looking at spending 3-5 grand for a 6mm Lee Navy or a 1941 Johnson. Could buy a few Garands for that. But I already have e few. And I've spent more on a nice Krag than my M-1A cost.

As for 'giving them away' I saw a NE Westinghouse that was rebarreled and restocked by the Finns bring $750 at auction.

A local gunshop has 2 Remingtons , rough , but all original with inspection stamps still visible on the stock. Bores are very rusty though. Still over $500 ea.

Ahhhh, MKK41, a man after my own heart.

Someone who understands the historical value of old military firearms.

Great post.

I think the only collectable factor would be the irony of a great weapons manufacturer producing an inferior product

Wow...just...wow...

Not liking a firearm because of its history or usage is one thing, everybody is entitled to an opinion...

Stating that it is inferior is another thing..its baseless...Its rugged, reliable and as accurate as it needs to be plus some, for its intended purpose. It fires a very formidable cartridge that is in the same class as the venerable 30-06.

I personally don't like Glocks...that , by no stretch of the imagination makes them inferior..they, also, are rugged, reliable and well suited to their purpose. I cannnot argue with anyone on any of those points, and could even say my own dislike of them is almost ignorant.

Remington did not produce an inferior firearm, they produced a fine rifle for who was at the time an ally of the U.S., they contributed to the collectabilty and history of the rifle.

Back