remington mosin nagant

boostedtt91

Today i came across a remington mosin nagant at a local gun shop. I have never seen one of these before or ever heard anything about them. This has the remington stamp above the chamber and looks to be all original. There asking $350 for it. What are these worth? Im very interested in finding out more about these

there is no such thing as a remington mosin nagant. mosin nagant is not a model of gun but a manufacturer. the 91/30 rifle is manufactured but the companies mosin and nagant in russia. remington is a US company and unless they bought out mosin and nagant, there is no rifle that would have all three stamps on the receiver that is legitimate. I would stay away from it.

Quote:there is no such thing as a remington mosin nagant. mosin nagant is not a model of gun but a manufacturer. the 91/30 rifle is manufactured but the companies mosin and nagant in russia. remington is a US company and unless they bought out mosin and nagant, there is no rifle that would have all three stamps on the receiver that is legitimate. I would stay away from it.

Sorry I think you've been misinformed.
Early before the russian revolution the Czar ordered a large quantities of MNagant from several american gun company, Remington was one of them.
Some have been delivered and some never made it .... the revolution got in the way, the regime change and the balance of the orders never made it.
________
roberto

there is no such thing as a remington mosin nagant. mosin nagant is not a model of gun but a manufacturer. the 91/30 rifle is manufactured but the companies mosin and nagant in russia. remington is a US company and unless they bought out mosin and nagant, there is no rifle that would have all three stamps on the receiver that is legitimate. I would stay away from it.

That is quite possibly the single most incorrect statement I have seen on this forum.

Mosin Nagant 1891 is a model of rifle, named after the designers, and was made by Russian arsenals in Tula, Izhevsk, Sestroryetsk, and under contract in the US by Westinghouse, and yes, Remington.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/Mosinprimer.htm

:confused: Well , at least ya spelled everything right. Everything ya said was dead wrong though!

The Mosin–Nagant (Russian: Винтовка Мосина, ISO 9: Vintovka Mosina) is a bolt-action, internal magazine-fed, military rifle invented under the government commission by Russian and Belgium inventors, and used by the armed forces of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and various other nations.

Initial design and trialsDuring the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78, Russian troops armed with mostly Berdan single-shot rifles engaged Turks with Winchester repeating rifles resulting in heavy casualties. This emphasized to commanders a need to modernize the Imperial army. The Russian Main Artillery Administration undertook the task of producing a magazine-fed, multi-round weapon in 1882. After failing to adequately modify the Berdan system to meet the requirements, a "Special Commission for the testing of Magazine fed Rifles" was formed to test new designs.

Sergei Ivanovich Mosin, a captain in the Imperial army, submitted his "3-line" calibre (.30 cal, 7.62 mm) rifle in 1889 alongside a 3.5-line design by Léon Nagant (a Belgian) and a 3-line design by captain Zinoviev. When trials concluded in 1891, the units which tested the rifles were split in their decision. The main disadvantages of Nagant's rifle were the following: more complicated mechanism, long and tiresome procedure of disassembling (which required special instruments - it was necessary to unscrew two screws). Mosin's rifle was mainly criticised for lower quality of manufacture and of materials used which resulted in a bit larger number of stoppages. The Commission voted 14 to 10 to approve Nagant's rifle. However, the head of the commission general Chagin insisted on subsequent trials held under the Commission's supervision during which Mosin's rifle showed its advantages, leading to its selection over the Nagant.

United States
U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, Model of 1916: Due to the desperate shortage of arms and the shortcomings of a still-developing domestic industry, the Russian government ordered 1.5 million M1891 infantry rifles from Remington Arms and another 1.8 million from New England Westinghouse in the United States. Some of these rifles were not delivered before the outbreak of the October Revolution and the subsequent signing of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk which ended hostilities between the Central Powers and Russia. When the Bolsheviks took over the Russian government, they defaulted on the Imperial Russian contracts with the American arsenals, with the result that New England Westinghouse and Remington were stuck with hundreds of thousands of Mosin-Nagants. The US government bought up the remaining stocks, saving Remington and Westinghouse from bankruptcy. The rifles in Great Britain armed the US and British expeditionary forces sent to North Russia in 1918 and 1919. The rifles still in the US ended up being primarily used as training firearms for the US Army. Some were used to equip US National Guard, SATC and ROTC units. Designated "U.S. Rifle, 7.62mm, Model of 1916", these are among the most obscure U.S. service arms. In 1917, 50,000 of these rifles were sent via Vladivostok to equip the Czechoslovak Legions in Siberia to aid in their attempt to secure passage to France.
During the interwar period, the rifles which had been taken over by the US military were sold to private citizens in the United States by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, the predecessor agency to the current Civilian Marksmanship Program. They were sold for the sum of $7.00 each. If unaltered to chamber the US standard .30-06 Springfield rimless cartridge, these rifles are prized by collectors because they do not have the import marks required by law to be stamped or engraved on military surplus firearms brought into the United States from other countries.

I just love it when a poster is so adamant about their position and facts, and don't have even a clue about the subject they're addressing....amazing...

Yes the Rifle is worth what they are asking for it, it is much more rare than the Russian made 91 30 Rifles.
Its a piece of history, that needs to be in good hands.

Looking at completed auctions on Gunbroker, they go for anywhere between $130 and $2500 Two of them sold for around $300.

On edit: the noes that sold for under $200 were both bubba-jobs, the two in the $300 range were both original. The $2500 one had a matching bayonet and US Ordinance markings.

Last edited:
At the end of WWI, the was concern the the Soviets would move in to take the stockpiles of arms of the defeated German Army which did in fact occur.

We (The United States) sent Army Units to confront and deal with these communist Russian Troops.

Be cause of supply problems our soldiers were armed with 91/30s, that I believe were made by Remington.

US%20Troops%20with%20Mosins.jpg

How rare are these if at all? Its the first one ive seen. I mean i cant really see spending $400 for a mosin unless it actually is quite rare

There's nothing rare or special about a mosin nagant. It is only popular cause u can buy em for $100. They're not accurate and unless its inlaid with gold, I wouldn't touch it at $400. They're a mass-produced weapon of our enemy. For me, its in the same class as the sks, AK of any configuration, arisaka, and Argentinian Mauser. They were made to kill Americans so I give em all a big thumbs down.

They were made to kill Americans so I give em all a big thumbs down.

Ummmmmmmmm that's not quite true in the case of the Mosin. The Mosin was developed under the Czar before the turn of the centery (late 1800s). They were our allies in WWI & WWII, and were used to fight our common enemies (Germans). The Mosins were never made at a time period where the Rusians were fighting Americans. Sure they were used against us in WWI (see my above post), in Korea, Vietnam, and in our present wars. But in the case of Afghan so are the British Enfields being used against American Soldiers. Can't blame the British for that. Nor can we blame the Enfield or Mosin Rifles.

They are objects. They have no mind of their own. That's like giving a "thumbs down" to Smith & Wesson because some of their revolvers were used in crimes or 1911s because they were used by gansters in the 20 & 30s.

Personally I see these rifles in two ways:

1. A peice of history
2. A cheap means for not so well off shooters being able to compete in matches such as CMP GSM Surplus Military Rifle Matches.

As to the Value of Remington Mosins, of course they are going to cost more, its supply and demand, there are less Remingtons Mosins then Russian models, therefore they will cost more. Much like Winchester Garands bring more then Springfield Garands, or a better example is Singer 1911 vs a Colt 1911.

There's nothing rare or special about a mosin nagant. It is only popular cause u can buy em for $100. They're not accurate

I don't usually do this, but let us riddle this statement with the bullets of fact...

There's nothing rare or special about a mosin nagant
: OK, there are very many rarities in the world of the Mosin Nagant..otherwise there wouldnt be so many species to collect, nor so many collectors..as far as special, these rifles have such a wonderful and colorful history to them, and any one you pick up is likely to have seen battle through a couple of decades at some point in time, if this doesnt make a type of rifle special..Dunno what would...

It is only popular cause u can buy em for $100
Also not true..they are popular because they are a GREAT firearm with a low price tag..I can think of a LOT of firearms that are or have in the recent past been under 100 dollars and arent popular at all..Raven, Jennings, bryco, etc. etc.

They're not accurate
this one makes me chuckle just a bit...because really? where does this come from and what is ones definition of accurate..I certainly wouldnt be willing to prove this statement by standing on the 500 yard line....

Back to the OP, the Remington brand of Mosins has been one of my personal grails for a long time. I have only one Mosin, but have swore if I lay my eyes on a remington I am buying it. Simply because I havent seen one with my own eyes yet. the price he is asking is probably just about right, though I would be a little more comfortable in the 275-300 dollar range, and I bet he would go for that.

kraig

I know the history of where ur coming from. Its funny u mentioned allies. Remember the expression, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"? When our mutual enemy in Germany was routed, we became such. The primary weapon those sneaky Cossack sluts used was the mosin. I personally just don't endulge in collecting anything from any war, except pictures and lessons. As far as the accuracy goes, ANY military rifle is capable of 2moa. That is usually good enough to kill at 500. Accurate, no. I have dusted too many military rifles that couldn't hang even with a custom barrel and trigger work.

Each and every Mosin Nagant goes through a rigorous political rehabilitation program before being put up for sale in the U.S.

And I am so disappointed in the fact that I bought stock in the Mosin and Nagant companies :D That explains the low, low price

Remember the expression, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"? When our mutual enemy in Germany was routed, we became such. The primary weapon those sneaky Cossack sluts used was the mosin.

You are talking about the wrong war. This particular rifle were contracted by Imperial Russia for World War I.

Back