Remington 770 vs. Savage (non-accu trigger) both are package deals

Both the local Scheel's and Cabela's will not take 710 and 770 guns on trade-in. They do not sell and are serious liabilities from a legal standpoint. They have virtually no resale value.

I used to work in the gun department at Wal-mart and sold quite a few of both.

The worst we got back from a Savage was a busted scope, another with a poorly fitted stock, and another that was market 30-06, but really had a 270 Winchester chambered barrel.

With the 710 and 770 we had broken triggers, several broken bold handles, one that still had a live round in the chamber.:eek: One with a safety that would sometimes fire the gun when disengaged. One that appeared to have developed excessive head space, but I'm not sure on that one. The plastic insert in the receiver that the bold ran on dissolved when someone used brake cleaner or something to clean up the gun. Another had the insert damaged by the locking lugs shaving material off the insert.

The department manager had several 710s and loved them, but considering that for $50 more you could get a Savage WITH Accu-trigger they were a poor value. The only reason we sold so many was because they had a detachable box magazine and the Savage rifles we had on hand did not. The scopes on both were in the low-end, but good enough for most deer hunting and of course that can be easily upgraded later.

I actually checked again and liked the Savage better. The Remington 770 is heavy and the bolt action is not smooth.
But I think I will end up getting the Baretta Tikka 3 Lite as that had the smoothest bolt action over all of them including Vanguard and CZ-550 American. Plus it's light and easy to handle and move around.:D

The 770 scope is terrible, screws loosen up, trigger guard breaks, etc.
I know of more than one person with the 770 and both have always had problems keeping the gun accurate.

CZ's are hard to find on display or see what they feel like. I have a chance to go down to view one in .308 if they haven't sold it yet.
Even though not a 30.06 I would think it would be almost the same rifle as the 30.06 rifle other than caliber.:confused:

If not I'm already pretty sure about the Baretta T-3 Lite in stainless steel and composite stock will be the one I get:D

Locally we have these 770's sitting right next to Savages, Weatherbys and even marlins new bolts all the same price. I'm really not sure who would buy such a rifle and don't understand how Remington can put they're name on such a POS product.

Which one would I own?

Out those two you mention, the Savage would definitely be my first choice.
Far superior rifle in all respects, especially accuracy.

770 package

This review is to whom may be interested. I can not consider myself a gun expert even though I have a respectable experience with firearms. A couple of weeks ago I got a Remington 770 in 308 (packaged with a pre-mounted, bore-sighted Bushnell® Sharpshooter® 3-9x40 scope) despite its bad reviews I was reading in the internet because the reviews from who actually owned it said it actually shot well. I do not know their experience with firearms but I have some gunsmithing both bolt actions and semis of different calibers from 8mm Mauser, 7.65x53 Mauser, 30-06, 7.62x51 NATO (very similar to .308W) just to mention some. To be fair on the review, I just finisher to test (and zeroing) at the range. Before shooting, I clean very carefully the action and the bore and pre-zero it (at 100 yds) using a laser bullet. Even it seems that breaking-in is not necessary, I did it initially with 10 rounds (cleaning in between rounds), and then every 3 round’s groups (five in total) using Remington UMC ammo. I noticed that the shorter 60-degree bolt throw makes a more handy loading and unloading, as well as faster follow-up shots. Zeroing was really easy, requiring only few shots (actually I accomplished that during the break-in in process). After just three 3-shots groups, group size was 1” at 100 yards (pretty decent for factory regular ammo). Same results when I started using 150gr Remington Core-Lokt ammo (the one I use for deer hunting).

Bottom line, the rifle delivered very well for what is was intended for: HUNTING at mid-range. If I am looking for accuracy at long range, I will spend several hundreds of dollars (is not thousands) in a sniper-type of rifle and not less than $300 as I paid for it.

The T-3, and the Savage, I think both have some advantages, the only things I see going for the T-3 is the barrel and the trigger, the bolt isn't solid, I don't like plastic trigger guards, and the ejection port is just wrong, the the receiver/recoil lug is cut in an unusual way, making stock swapping very difficult. Both rifles have cut corners to make them affordable, and still accurate. I shoot Weatherby rounds, and want a rifle that is as overengineered as I can get. Both the T-3 and Savage have some ingenious features, and are as accurate as modern CAD and robotics can make them, remarkably accurate really, and both actions are probably as strong as they need to be. If these are your only choices I would choose the Savage, because of it's versatility, aftermarket parts, and barrel changes W/O a gunsmith. The Savage isn't perfect either. I'm not a fan of washered receiver/recoil lug and plastic mags on a really high powered rifle. All said though, you would probably be satisfied with either of them. I bought A Vanguard in 300 WBY, already own a MKV, 340WBY, I believe both to be stronger actions than those. I reload, so I want as much solid steel in an action as I can get. The factory target is .7", on the Vanguard, and I'm getting closer to that, gradually.

Last edited:
I have been looking at both the Tikka T-3 and the Savage myself. I have quite a bit of experience with Savage rifles, dad had a 110FP in 25-06 (tack driver, 5 shots, 1/2inch at 200 yards) Grandfather has a Savage 110 in 270 and it will do sub-moa groups at 100 yards, etc. My problem is that I want a rifle in 6.5x55 and Savage doesn't offer a factory rifle in said caliber while Tikka does. I also wouldn't mind trying something new. As far was the OP question is concerned, Savage hands down. Dicks Sporting Goods currently has the 111FCXP3 package on sale for $330 after rebate - heck of a deal on a good rifle. Might pick one up in .270 meself and buy a barrel in 6.5 later in '010 :)

You would be best served by going to a large shop and shouldering durn near every rifle model. I would encourage you to avoid scope combos. They may not be all that bad, but with one rare exception they are not good.

Definately shoulder the Ruger Hawkeye, Howa, Win 70 in addition to the ones you have listed.

Sako had a smoother bolt throw last I checked, but that's not really a fair comparison.

Actions tend to smooth with use (and even more with a little raceway polishing).

If you find the gun that fits you best you will probably be happier in the long run.

Does the T-3 have a plastic trigger guard? That would drive me nuts.

I've had an opportunity to shoot several Tikka T3s and I would put them right there with the Savage as far as accuracy. I personally lean towards the Savage because I just like them better (I own 4 Savages now) - plus there's more aftermarket parts, stocks, etc. available. I also own a Remington 710 (what the 770 used to be, bought before I got turned on to Savage) and it shoots well, but it is butt ugly and the bolt is not smooth at all to operate - it feels muddy to me due to the nylon insert. I don't really like the 60 degree bolt throw either. Go with the Savage or the T3, you won't be sorry.

If you have to have a remington, and it has to be bold action, then the 700 is the only answer. I personally dont care much for the 700, but I do like the 742 and 760.

Hey Stinger. I had assumed you were working with a tight budget when you originally posted that you were trying do decide between Rem. 770 and Savage packages. It appears that may not be the case when you start discussing Tikkas, CZs, etc. You haven't mentioned Winchester model 70 or Remington 700. You are probably best served by going to the biggest gunshop within an hour or two of home, and looking all of the guns over you can afford. The upper end Savages are incredible guns now. I don't know if they outshoot the Sav. 110s or not, but the are nice, well-designed guns. I wouldn't buy a gun on-line, unless I was completely familiar the model. Even then, they can vary from gun-to-gun... at least to a small degree. Good luck and I hope you find a gun you fall in love with.

Joe
P.S. The Marlin Model 7s have a nice action and small price tag. I forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
In thta price range, I'd look at the Stevens 200 (which is the old Savage non- Accu-trigger line) or the Marlin XR-7 line (but right now that line is caliber restricted( They only make it in 3-4 offerings I think (but it has an adjustible trigger for under $300! Mossberg changed their budget rifle ATR (It now has and adjustible trigger "Lightening" trigger, but it appears to be a 770 clone from the looks of it! Haven't seen one inperson. I would really check into the Marlin XR-7 series....seems well built and loaded for the $$

Back