Remington 700

I would need to see hard data to support the quality drop at Remington. Always will be some problems. I bought mine in the last year and it's the best Remington I've had. You had problems. I'm sure the same applies with Savage, TC, Marlin, Mossberg, etc etc IMHO. :)

Joe C

You ever shoot at Bristol? http://bristolranges.com/

Warbird, I have no empirical evidence for my assertion. My personal eperience with Remington products this year, however, has been terrible. A brand new Model 7 had to go back to the factory for head space issues. Then a brand new 597 threw the ejector plunger on the third round ever fired through it. To make matters worse the front sight was off center, as were the dovetail rails on the receiver. So,Big Green failed me twice out of two tries in three months. This saddens me since I had a 1997 circa 700 ADL that never failed to funtion and shot one inch at 100 yds.

I think a Remington 700 in .308 will suit you just fine. My SPS shot easily under 1" out of the box. I had already decided on an aftermarket stock before I made the purchase, and it did help, but it was a good to go rifle out of the box. Take the rifle,shoot it and learn. Your rifle can grow with your experience, as parts and accessories are easily available that can improve accuracy, as can reloading your own ammo. 308 is an excellent choice as ammo is available and relatively inexpensive. Light recoil is also important as you are just beginning. Out past 500 yds is no problem with the cartridge. I also own several Savage rifles and I really like them, so I'm no Remy fanboy

Can't believe no one mentioned the Howa M1500.
Nice, smooth action- built in Japan. Weatherby and S&W both use their actions for their bolt guns.
check out Snipers Hide forums and see what the guys have to say about the Howa vs the Rem 700. esp. in .308
Oh yeah, cheaper too.

I had a Howa many years ago and it was the slowest "lock time" of any bolt action rifle I've shot. Seemed like I was shooting a black powder rifle (not the inline kind either)!

Back