Remington 700

Most R700's need a fair amount of work the really get long range accuracy.
I'd look at Savage, Tikka/Sako or FN.

Absolute BS!

Every 700 I have or had would shoot MOA or under. I currently have a .270 ADL I bought from Wal-Mart no mods other than putting a Nikon Prostaff scope on it and using premium ammo and I have gotten 3/4" groups out of it if I do my part.

I also have a 700SPS .308 Varmint that shoots close to 1/2" groups with Match ammo.

I also have T/C Ikon that I love and some other rifles by other makers that I love so I am not Remmy fan boy, but I will defend them when I see total BS put out there.......:eek:

700SPS

My bone stock 700SPS with a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical on it will print 3/4 all day and 1/2, occasionaly with Hornady 165 and FCC match 168's. Nothing against the Savage or others but I just dont have enough experience to rate them effectively.

I would also pass on the remmy and go for the Savage. Out shoot a remmy in a heartbeat with no work needed. Don't want to trash remmy,s but lets face it guys when it comes to accuracy you can't beat Savage. Stock Savages off the shelf win more comp shooting events than any other brand out there and thats just a fact. Savage stocks are not very good,but that is a very cheap up grade to switch. One post said something about the accutrigger he did not like?. Whats not to like about a trigger you can set to any pressure you want?. I have shot for over 40 years now and just 2 years ago got a Savage,now i own 3 and if Savage don't make it--I don't want it. Only other rifle i would look at would be a tika. But that my personnel opinion too. every one has one

Wow, you guys all have different opinions! I think just from the amount of people that love the 700, I'll stick with it. I don't want a .243 cause I may end up taking deer at longer ranges in the future and the .308 just has more power. The .300 win mag is just too expensive when it comes too ammo.

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and a Savage 10 FP law enforcement model.

The Savage shot great right out of the box with its accutrigger set at 2 lbs 10 oz. It cost less than $ 700.

The Remington was on sale and clearance since it was left over from the previous year's hunting season so I only paid $ 440 for it. The Remington stock was cheap and the factory trigger was set at over 5 lbs 6 oz.
After all the BS about adjusting the Remington factory trigger, I bought a Timney and set it at 2 lbs. It improved its out of the box accuracy. Then I bought a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock to get rid of the flexing in the tupperware factory stock. The new stock got the Remington to the same accuracy level of the Savage.
After all the changes, the Remington cost about $ 800.

Now both shoot just about the same after tweaking the Remington.
I haven't touched the Savage other than to turn the Accutrigger down to 2 lbs even so that both of the rifles have the same trigger pull.

I would expect that either brands will probably be good shooters, but you may have to do some tuning to the Remington if you want to get all the accuracy that it has in it.

You can pretty much choose whichever you really want to buy and have a good shooter. I would expect the Savage to be more accurate out of the box with no tweaking.

I'm a Savage guy, love the platform. There is no doubt that Savage has set the standard for out-of-the-box accuracy. Their rifles are accurate, easily customizable, lots of aftermarket support. I own several of their rifles and they're all shooters. I've got an -06, a .308, and a .243, all of those are the standard, skinny barrel hunting models and they all keep their shots inside an inch at 100 yards when I do my part. Great rifles. My sons have heavy barrel models, on in .308, the other in .7mmRem mag, and those guys are scary accurate with their rifles. Savage makes great rifles, no doubt about it.

Having said that, the Remington 700 is a standard, a benchmark for the American bolt action rifle. Also easily customizable, lots of aftermarket support. I own a Rem700, just one, in .308. Mine is a standard ADL model, made in 1983. Very accurate rifle. It's got a pretty good trigger and I use it for hunting. It will probably be given to a grandkid in the next couple of years, but right now it's my favorite.

Savage, Remington, take your choice. It's not the rifle so much as the guy behind it.

remington 700 for starters

Im married to Remington 700 but my mistress is Savage. I have 3 remy's, a SPS 22.250, a remy sendero .300 Ultra mag, and a Milspec 5R .308. All shoot sub MOA, all shoot better than me. Last weekend I shot a 13" 5 shot group at 1000 meters with the milspec 5R. I shot my friends handloads... 175 gr SMK's with 45 grains of powder, can't recal what kind. Remington 700's will shoot lights out. I have a savage .17 HMR that is unbelievably accurate.....LOVE the accutrigger. I have shot my friends 110 BA .338 Lapua Mag and his F-Class , again, I LOVE the accutrigger. My next rifle is going to be a Savage F-Class 6.5 X 284. Bottom line....buy what you like and can afford. Maybe just a little more than you can afford. Shoot both and see what feels good in your hands, on your shoulder and even on your cheek. If I were you I would go with a remington 700 just cuz I like the way they look and feel. Both Savage and Remington are amazing rifles. You win either way.

Buy a Remington and expect your Grandkids to end up using it decades from now. I have a 1940's vintage Remington 721 (Grandfather to todays model 700), in .270 Winchester my Grandfather bought new back in the day. He shot deer, bear, hogs, etc. I just shot a deer with it 2 weeks ago (at 120 yards), and got one last year with it too. Remington's are quality built guns, rugged and accurate.

Check out the .270 caliber, 130 grain bullet. Jack O'Conner (old school hunter, and gun writer), wrote about this caliber years ago for North American big game (40's through 70's), as it is very deadly, accurate and won't rip your shoulder off with recoil either. Mine is SO much more fun to shoot than my .30-06. If you google Jack O'Conner, you might be able to locate some of his storys and articles if you are interested.

Last edited:
Top classified competitive long range shooters learned back in the 1960's that when shooting bullets heavier than 160 grains from any round receiver (Rem. 7XX, 40X), they twisted a bit out of a perfect fit in traditional epoxy bedding. They held up a little better with pillar bedding, but not much, but still needed to be rebedded every few hundred rounds. Flat bottom/side receivers never had this problem.

It's often mentioned that heavy, low drag bullets can't be used in a .308 Win. Go tell that to folks who've shot Sierra's 240 ou 250 grain HPMK's at 1000 yards from their .308's winning matches with them.

I've had .22-250, .223 Rem, .243 Win, 30-06, and .270 Win.

If you handload, the .270 Win is very flexible, shooting both 90 grain Sierra HP mild loads and 130 grain loads to about the same POI at 100 yards. That's a fantastic trait in a caliber. You can take it to the range or turkey shoot with target loads, then go out and "blast-a-beast" with a hot 130 grain load without sight adjustment.

There are even some "Managed Recoil" factory rounds that are more pleasant for recoil-sensitive folks, yet are very effective on deer out to 200 yards.

Cost of a box of .270 Win or '06 ammo at Wally World is under $20. That's pretty cheap for larger-game ammo, yet Core-Locts shoot well under 1 min. in my son's rifle.

You can't really go wrong with a 700. It is pretty much the standard by which all other production rifles are measured.

Lets see, is the Remington 700 in 308 any good at 500 yards? If I read it right, that is the question.

M40 Marine sniper rifle is a Remington short action, in 308 Max Effective Range 900 meters

M24 Army Sniper rifle is a Remington long action in 308, max effective range is 900 meters.

Hmmmmmmmmmm I would guess somebody thinks the Remington 700 in 308 would work quite well.

If I remember right, Remington makes a varmint heavy barrel in 308. I don't have one but I have a Remington 700 Varment in 223 I used in LE. I've shot it quite a bit at 600, it worked for me. A little lite for 55 grn M193s but I could still get hits.

I own neither, I am also looking for a nice .308, mainly for target shooting, but might use it for hunting if i do so next year. Im leaning more towards the savage. Ive heard that it is accurate out of the box, i heard this from a guy who owns a remington 700, he had his bolt trued, and has nightforce everything on his 700. He said his buddy bought a savage and it shot just as well as his remmy. Out of the box Savage is (from what i hear) the way to go!

I would shy away from Remington until they square away their quality control issues. I had to send two Remingtons back to the factory in three months, one of which was a Model Seven with head space issues.

You may want to consider Weatherby's Vanguard S2 or Savage. I'd also suggest TC Venture, but they just issued a recall due to trigger sear issues.

Yes there is a re-call on the TC Venture. I would not let this detour you into looking at the Venture. I have one in 223 & 243, both are keepers. Do a Web search and over all you will find good reports on the Venture. $50 rebate from TC on the Venture not sure when this ends (end of Dec?).

Most decent 308 will hit 1000yds. It sounds far but a SMK or AMAX can reach it consistently. Heck even ARs and M1A can hit 1k...buy a reliable and good fitting bolt action and you should be good to go.

I tried but I just can't keep my mouth shut when someone disses a Remington 700... :D

I bought a new 7mm Rem Mag BDL in the 1970's when everyone says they were made so great. It would NOT group no matter what I fed it. Scope was good and rings were tight. It would chamber Winchester ammo but NOT Remington! :confused: I took a fired case, rotated it 90º and it would not chamber. It had an out-of-round chamber and the blueing on the bolt handle looked brown, not blue. I gave it back to them and bought something else (senility prevents me from remembering what)... :o So much for their "much better quality" back then...

My new 700 SPS (with the Buckmasters camo stock) is made many times better. It is the cheap version so has the mat black finish but fit and function are superb and the new trigger is fantastic. I've been shooting/owning (many) rifles for almost 50 years and have found you get good and bad from any manufacturer unless you spend the big bucks. So I mounted a good scope on this using Leupold standard bases and rings and it shoots as good as any Savage ever made out-of-the-box. I am selling this only because (in my old age) I've got a bug in my ass to own a wood stocked rifle and I don't want to fool restocking anything. It might be another Remington but it won't be a Savage. ;)

And personally I think the .308 is one of the last rounds I'd ever buy. .270 Winchester, .300 Win mag, 7mm Rem mag, and the new short magnums are all much better for long range shooting. .243 is an excellent choice.

There. Now I feel better..... :D

Back