Remington 700

oneshotOG

So I've been looking for a new bolt action within a reasonable budget. I have already been talked out of the Remington 770. See I am looking for a quite accurate rifle I can shoot over 500 yards. Do you guys think the 700 is a good choice? Also, I've researched different calibres for long range and it seems the best choiceis the .308 Rem. Id appreciate any feedback on if you guys agree or if you think another rifle may be a better choice.

I have a older adl 700 in 270, swapped it off once but i got it back!!! I've owned two 710s they were alright but there not 700s.
Both my 700s will shoot moa but so will my savage 200 but when i get a trigger for it i might have well bought a remmi.
I don't know much about the newer sps rifles but i'm a big remmi fan.

Ya, same here. Alright man, thanks for the help! I've never owned a 700 before, but I really think it'll be worth the few hundred I'm paying for it. People really seem to love 700s! Also, .308 is what alot of competition shooters use, so I think this thing is gonna have some great range.

I have a Rem 700BDL (.264 Win Mag) I purchased new in 1964. Back in the 60's when I shot a lot of rifle and very little pistol, and did my own reloading; it would do 1/2 MOA consistantly, occationally better. If I did worse, it was me, or I goofed with a load. 142 gr Sierra Matchking bullets were exceptionally good in my rifle.

I just use it for hunting now as most of my target shooting now is mostly .22 pistol and occationally 9mm pistol.

I personally think the balistics of a 6.5mm is better than any .308 bullet.

This will be almost only a target gun, since I live in Ohio and can't hunt anything with it. But as I went in too take another look at the 700, the gun clerk pretty much convinced me the savage 111 was a better deal for the money and shot just as well. What do you guys think? .308 Remington 700 or .308 savage 111? Pros and cons?

For the average Joe the 308 is probably the best route to go overall. Especially at 500 yards or less. You can get good ammo over the counter without reloading and if you do start reloading the 308 is one of the easiest rounds to load for.

For serious work at longer ranges the 308 is starting to be borderline and there are probably better choices.

The Remington 700 is never a bad choice. I chose the FN Patrol rifle to use for this. The Savage rifles are quite popular, but would be my personal 3rd choice.

Yeah I think that the .308 might not be the right choice for shooting over 500meters. Even military snipers top out the .308 at 800 meters. If you want to send a .300 caliber bullet out past 500 accurately and effectively, then look at a 300wsm or 300mag. Both are available on the 700

SadistAssassin said:
Yeah I think that the .308 might not be the right choice for shooting over 500meters. Even military snipers top out the .308 at 800 meters. If you want to send a .300 caliber bullet out past 500 accurately and effectively, then look at a 300wsm or 300mag. Both are available on the 700. If you are into reloading a 30.06 would be ideal . They can be be loaded hot or dumbed down to Sub .308 levels.

The 308 can be loaded to within 50-100 fps of the 30-06 with most bullet weights. If you are into custom rifles with 28-30" barrels and hot-rodding handloads you can get a little more performance in a 30-06.

Not a bad choice, but to get any real gains it is not something for a casual shooter. Your original idea was better. It is easy to get 400-500 fps more performance with one of the magnum rounds over a 308. But once again, not worth the trouble or expense at 500 yards.

Ok, so you guys think I should get the 300 win mag if I'm shooting past 500 yards? Cause I've heard .308 shoots a little flatter and this gun has a 26 inch barrel for a pretty high muzzle velocity. If I do get the .300 mag, what grain would fly best at that range?

.260 Remington
6.5 Creedmore
7mm-08

The .308 is still a good choice...

.300 wm is unnecessary for punching paper at 1000.

Once again guys, thanks for all the help. I'm still learning here, I'm only 15 haha, but one last question.just guessing, but I'm pretty sure the Win mags are gonna be a little more on the expensive side. How much would a decent pack of 20 rounds of 300 win mags cost?

If you needed the additional kinetic energy to take game at long range I would concur with the .300 WM. You don't...
Because the US Military has adopted the caliber for some of it's longer range tactical weapons, a lot of guys feel the need to jump on the .300 WM bandwagon...

With 50% more felt recoil than the .308, I doubt you'd find many shooters that would enjoy sending 100 rounds off the bench in a day's shooting.

I just don't think it's the right choice for your intended purpose.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Gootcha. Alright, well you guys have been very helpful. Since I'm just punching paper, I think I'll stick with the .308. Wish I had enough for a .338 Lapua mag! Those are sick

Since you are just punching paper, no need for the .308. I like the .308 fine; it's my preferred hunting round. And I have an accurized 700 VSSF in .308 with which I have shot steel out to 900 yards with 175 grain Federal match ammo.

But just to punch paper you don't need the terminal ballistics (or the recoil) of a .30 caliber round. I'd opt for the .260 Remington or 7mm08. They are based on the same case but have higher ballistic coefficients than the .308 when using heavy low drag bullets.

The one advantage of the .308 over the two aforementioned rounds is that it is more commonly available, and may be had more cheaply in bulk, as long as you're not buying match grade ammo. You can't go wrong with a good .308. But you can do better.

As far as rifle is concerned, Savages are considered to be among some of the best "bang for the buck," with outstanding out-of-the-box accuracy. Personally, I don't like the accutrigger, much preferring a well-tuned Remington factory trigger or one of the easily-installed replacements. I think the older Remington 700s have more "class" than the Savages, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Years ago I'd have said "Remington 700, no question" because of quality and the availability of replacement and custom parts. But Remington's quality seems to have slipped in recent years, and more and more aftermarket parts are becoming available for the Savages. You really ought to handle both and decide which one you like better.

Can't comment on the 700 other than its a good gun. I just purchased a SPS Varmint in 7mm08 and have an '06 but that's it on Remington bolt guns for me.

As to caliber, at 15 years of age, you definitley do not need the recoil of the .300WM unless you are built like a tank. The only thing that recoil is going to do for a new(er) shooter is to help you develop bad habits and a flinch. Get the .308 or something in that family and learn to shoot it well. It'll do anything you need it to do in the ranges you want and will concievably shoot.

Heck get a .243 or 7mm08, both fine rounds with very mild recoil.

Remington 700 in .308......love it!!! heres mine, cant say enough good things:D i typically shoot between the 400-700 yard mark...

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 102
Back