Reloading components Help

The calibers you listed at the beginning of your post. One powder comes to mind that should work well. Varget is a great powder and very versatile.

I just did some quick perusing of a couple sources and other than the 6.5 Grendel it should be pretty easy to find one powder that would reasonably work. The Grendel though is just too different in its needs to fit in with the other three powder wise. I’d look at any of the 4350 powders for a start myself.

Going back through the thread, I see mention of bolt guns and one AR-10.

Bolt guns and all other manually operated arms will "work" with any powder that blows the bullet out of the barrel at some speed, without damaging pressure.

Semis are much more "picky" and will only run well within a much smaller range of pressures and powder burn rates.

I assume you're looking for a powder that not only is suitable in all the calibers you have but also all of the rifles in those calibers.

There are some.

I just did some quick perusing of a couple sources and other than the 6.5 Grendel it should be pretty easy to find one powder that would reasonably work. The Grendel though is just too different in its needs to fit in with the other three powder wise. I’d look at any of the 4350 powders for a start myself.
Thank you!

Going back through the thread, I see mention of bolt guns and one AR-10.

Bolt guns and all other manually operated arms will "work" with any powder that blows the bullet out of the barrel at some speed, without damaging pressure.

Semis are much more "picky" and will only run well within a much smaller range of pressures and powder burn rates.

I assume you're looking for a powder that not only is suitable in all the calibers you have but also all of the rifles in those calibers.

There are some.
Really focusing on bolt guns and hunting rounds at the moment. Yeah, I have an AR-10 in 308 and an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. Also, a bolt gun in each caliber.

Just ordered my case trimmer, guides and brass holders. Good sale at Midway. Now I just need to get my office cleaned up and order a table from Amazon. Just about there. Then I can start working on getting primer, powder and bullets (although I have been buying 6.5 bullets when I see them).

After my shooting time this weekend, I have plenty of brass to get started,

Yeah, same I have seen with Varget. Not exactly nominal in the 6.5.

I have to disagree, Varget is my best powder in 6.5 Lapua. Same with a brother. He says his 6.5 CM shoots better with 4350 (not sure which mfg) but the Varget shoots good, just not as good (we are talking sub 1/2 MOA)

that said, for a range of mil surplus guns that are not going to be tack drivers, one powder can span them nicely.

When I talk about good powder, I am talking sub 1/2 MOA groups as all I do is target shoot and that is my fun. If you are looking at 1 MOA, a lot of powders will get you that and you may be able to fine a broad spectrum one that works.

Thanks much. This was straight from Nosler, so wanted to confirm with the folks on the ground. Much appreciated.

I call it the case (pun intended) of someone putting out something rather than not say anything and not define things (universal powder is fine for hunting loads, not true to target shooting).

If you look at what die mfgs say for a full size. Turn it down till it touches the shell holder and 1/4 turn.

Yea, that really mashes the case head down and way beyond what is needed.

Modern loading has tools to measure the length to the shoulder and then set back enough to chamber ok. A full mash setback cracks the case base after as few as 8 firings. I have reloaded cases 20+ times using as minimal setback as works.

note: I have a 7.5 Swiss that wants .009, otherwise some cases don't chamber easily (and I got with easy chambering). If your gun will accept .003 setback, that is ideal.
But I go with what the gun tells me not a fixed value.

USAF:
I don't know whether you have a loading table/bench yet, but an easy way to set up a good bench is using a solid core door and simple 2 x 4's for legs. a couple hours with a skil saw and const screws and you're in business. Custom sized to your needs and location.

It'll have good weight, more than sufficient strength and support; and infinite customizations and variations.

Doors available at all lumber yards, big box stores, and, if possible recycled bldg matl stores, etc. PM if questions.

-West

Back