reliability of CA 44 bulldog

Because you can afford it.

My Undercovers' transfer bars looked to me like a stamping, rather than MIM. And there very little radius between the upright and the "flag", which is where it broke, each time. Looked like metal fatigue.

And for everything I said here, a local place has a .44 Bulldog on consignment. Set up the way I'd want -- factory spurless hammer and Pachmayr Compaq stocks. Basically my ideal snubby, but somewhat oversized. Doesn't look much shot, price is very reasonable.

Do I want another Charter....?

---edit to add---

Aaaand, I went and bought it. $250 for recent production Bulldog. Seems reasonably tight, cylinder release needs adjusting, otherwise OK. I will be handloading for it. Size is actually only a hair larger than my small frame Taurus, it should be pocketable.

Last edited:
What else fills that little niche? Good luck finding a .44 spc Taurus. You might but right now it is hard to find anything. I still kick myself for not buying a Rossi 720 .44 special with adj sight when a lgs had one for $400. I decided it was just a bit too heavy for edc. That's another niche that is hard to fill. If I was younger and still stomping around in the woods I'd have bought it on the spot.

I like my 3" Bulldog on my belt in a holster and my ss Undercover in a pocket. I'd love to have a 2" .44 Bulldog with a front sight so they'd share the same reloads. I just get tired of trying to find snubs that shoot to poa. I've finally got two.

Back