Reduced velocity .380 FMJ for self-defense

So reducing the velocity does not necessarily mean that there will be a reduction in energy.

Indeed that is the way math works.

on the other hand a measurable difference is NOT always a significant difference.

10gr bullet weight, 25fps velocity =10ft/lbs difference...measurable but piffle in real world terms.

Pretty sure reduced power .380 has been around since 1899, most people just call it the .32 ACP.

g3ib1.jpg

One other thing with a reduced power load I don't think anyone has mention is that by lowering the powder charge you may start having function issues with your gun.

The autos are designed to operate at a certain range of power. Reducing or increasing the powder charge can either damaged the gun from too much slide speed or not function the slide. You would have to respring the gun to match your reduced load.

Not going to give the OP a hard time, but .380ACP has rarely been accused of having a surplus of KE, momentum, etc.

And most/many gel tests indicate that JHP variants don't have what it takes to both expand and go 12-16" deep.

For my own part, I am partial to flat note/truncated cone bullet shapes for SD in these low powered rounds.

Pretty sure reduced power .380 has been around since 1899, most people just call it the .32 ACP.

Yeah, gigglesnorting a chewed up bit of almond up into my nasal cavity...quite incapacitating.

Anyways, going .32ACP is my solution.

Back in the mid-90s one of my sons and I were looking at a gun mag or a manufacturer's catalog, and there was a .32 that was advertised something like, "...and has .380 stopping power with the right ammunition." We had a good laugh over that, and the times they are a-changin'.

Back in the mid-90s one of my sons and I were looking at a gun mag or a manufacturer's catalog, and there was a .32 that was advertised something like, "...and has .380 stopping power with the right ammunition." We had a good laugh over that, and the times they are a-changin'.

711016837.jpg

51Bvr1WShwL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

:rolleyes:

Indeed that is the way math works.

on the other hand a measurable difference is NOT always a significant difference.

10gr bullet weight, 25fps velocity =10ft/lbs difference...measurable but piffle in real world terms.

Yes, that is how the math does work. One must not assume that just because the velocity has been reduced that the energy is reduced unless one also controls for the weight of the projectile. In the .380, it may not be that big of a factor given the limited range of projectile options available, a piffle as you say, but a piffle is still enough to make the point.

However, in other calibers, the difference can be significant for those people who chase energy numbers. For example, chronographed from my 18" Grendel rifle, I get 2740 fps and 1501 ft lbs of energy from a Nosler Varmageddon 95 gr. bullet. From the same rifle, I get 2518 fps and 1690 ft lbs of energy from a 120 gr. Speer Gold Dot bullet. So with 92% of the velocity, I am getting 13% increase in energy. 189 ft lbs is hardy a piffle. In fact, it is virtually the same amount as a solitary .380 90 gr round fired at 975 fps.

189 ft lbs is hardy a piffle. In fact, it is virtually the same amount as a solitary .380 90 gr round fired at 975 fps.

Perhaps not a piffle, but in some situations, tis a cat sneeze, and others significant force. All depends on context. Shooting small caliber pistols a couple hundred ft/lbs seem (and is) pretty significant. Shooting a .458Win Mag, not so much.

Energy and velocity numbers are the altars many pray to, and math is the dogma they chant. But the numbers alone do not tell it all.

One can, for example, load a .22-250 and a .45-70 to identical energy levels, this is a good example of velocity vs mass. Both are excellent at their intended uses. Neither is ideal for the other's best work, yet ENERGY is identical.

Energy is an important factor, but energy should not be taken alone, other factory are also important, and in some situations more important, but most important is the proper combination of factors.

Carmady said:
SEASONAL SELF-DEFENSE AMMO

The winter ammo will be advertised as hotter to ensure top performance after passing through heavy clothing.

The summer ammo will be advertised as "optimized for light clothing" to reduce the dangers of over penetration.

But what they won't tell you is the ammo is all the same, just different boxes and different colored material stuffed in the hollow tips.

John Doe won't know, so he'll buy them both.

How many boxes can I put you down for?
Hornady® does this...
• Custom® 380 Auto 90gr XTP® @ $24.99

• American Gunner™ 380 Auto 90gr XTP® @ $16.99

They are the same load! Guess which type I will buy?

Back