Recommendations for little wheel gun

& I can't believe that nobody has mentioned a (used, of course) S&W 19 or 66 in the 2.5" bbl.

Nice l'il package, adjustable sights, 6 shots & sturdy enough (although a steady diet of The Big Boys may lossen it up after 10K rounds or so).

Although I've a couple dedicated .38 Specials, for woodsy stuff, tough to beat a .357 You can always download.

I reccomend a Taurus 85 Multialloy (aka Ultralite).
Other then light strikes with some ammo initially (the ammo was reloaded...probably hard primers) which was corrected by the factory, I've no problems with this little (13.5 oz.) revolver.

Granted, it's not a daily shooter...mostly shoot it to keep my hand in. Can't say it's a particularly fun gun to shoot

I own other CCW guns, most notably a Glock19 (all round favorite handgun) and a Kahr MK9 (superb little gun).

But I most frequently carry the Taurus due to it's light weight and my preferred carry method (pocket holster) and it's utter reliability.

However, should you buy a Taurus OR ANY OTHER GUN, get two or three hundred rounds through it to ensure it's reliability!!

By the way, all manufacturers ship bad products...Taurus has, on this BBS, gotten an ill deserved bad rap.

Attachments

• 85 multialloy.jpg
    85 multialloy.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 36
SP101.jpg

ports.JPG

Good Snubbies

I am a fan of the older S&Ws(pre Scared and Wimpy). However, there is one thing I try to avoid. During a dark period in the company's history, it was owned by Bangor Punta (english translation-no quality control). These guns are marked on the the original box. I don't know the approximate serial number range. If someone in this forum does, and would be willing to share, it would sure be appreciated. If you buy one of these, check it out carefully. They are extremely rough on the inside. The triggers are often atrocious.

Any that I have owned are opened and smoothed out by hand. They will need a trigger job. I'm referring here to the J frame guns. The old S&W's are still the best snubbies around, IMO. Good luck

"little wheel gun" "in .38 special"
The SP101 sure is NOT that.

Amen! A S&W J-frame snubby of any flavor is about 1/2 the size and quite a bit lighter than the above. About 1/3 the weight when you go to the exotic titanium or scandium alloys.

And Puhlease, no more talk about full house .357s in Rugers. The S&Ws will digest any amount of factory ammo they are rated for - far more than most people will care to shoot. I know - my model 640 and 360 357s have digested enough to wear me out without any change to the gun.

If you want a bear killer, buy yourself a .454 Casull.

Back