Recommendations for little wheel gun

Gotta put in a plug...

This is another gun that doesn't fit "snubby", but it is definitely compact (has 4" barrel). I have recently acquired one and I'm crazy about it!

Taurus Tracker in .357 magnum

Points great, shoots straight, well made, and sturdy as can be. I love the "ribber" grips as well - great cushion for the magnum recoil. Ported barrel, too!

I want a snubby too, but money is an issue. Is the Taurus that bad? It seems the biggest complaints I've seen is about the trigger. Isn't that something that can be repaired with a little "fluff and buff" I think it's referred to. Am I missing something else? I know that every manufacturer has made some lemons...just read the posts here and you'll see that...but is the Taurus really inferior to the other major brands...just wondering.
thanks
RH Factor:confused:

I've owned three Taurus revolvers (357, 22, 38). They all have performed perfectly. My most recent purchase was a stainless Model 85 38 Special. It has a nice fit and finish and fires plus-P ammo, and I like the key lock. In my experience Taurus revolvers are well made, reliable and can be bought at very reasonable prices.

Hmmmm.... I am suprised I didn't see this thread sooner. Oh well, most everyone here knows that I am a big fan of Taurus revolvers as my Total Titanium M85, and my Stainless M85 38 snubbies have never given me a bit of trouble.

:)

my2taurus85s.jpg

Small revolver

My personal choice is S&W 649 Bodyguard in 357 mag caliber. The all stainless construction is somewhat heavier to carry in my fanny pack, but certainly the extra weight reduces the perceived recoil during live fire. I do practice with this piece ( 357 reloads at factory velocity ) and I can tell you that 357 can be a punishing load in a lightweight revolver. I have tried the alloy Smiths and find the recoil causes flinching. With the 649 I don't have this problem.
Herb

Small revolver

Let me add the fact that I have a concealed weapon permit and this is my carry piece except when I am obliged to wear a sport jacket or suit, than I go to small .32 semiauto Seacamp
Herb

I recently purchased an 85 ultralite (Nyah, nyah to Lightsped! :D).

For the things you mention though, I have carried a Glock 23, in the past. For concealability, I have often carried a Kel-Tec P-11. About the same power, as concealable, 11 shots.

...just a sample of a soul, made to look just like a human being

I agree with lighsped i also have a taurus .38 total ti in spectrum blue. Gun is light and recoil is not bad with the porting.

I recommend that you check the used gun market for a Colt Detective Special.

You get six shots with the Colt Detective Special while the S&W Chief's Specials only have five shots.

.38 spl snubs

I don't have anything to add that has not been said. I would like to say that my colt cobra is in my ankle holster as I type this reply. I would be lost with out this pistol. Light, accurate, and dependable. My first was a S&W model 60, WELL used now, that I had in the service. Great shooter and small. I used it for it's intened purpose as did my son when a BG entered our house while I was at work. He was only 10 years old at the time.

My ex kept my Colt Detective [and old trooper and 4" pyton], and my daughter took my other Colt Detective when my grandchildren were born. I bought my son a SP 101, another great pistol. I wouldn't give up my cobra. haha!
I have a mint unfired diamondback that I havn't found another for sale in over 10 years. I do love the old Colt revolvers. But the S&W is the only one that has been "used" and has a special spot in my heart.:D

Looks like Jim covered that quite well. I would also suggest also a pre-agreement S&W 60 .357 mag Kitgun with its 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights could be the perfect choice. Plenty strong for a moderate diet of .357 mags, and a 'bit' more pocketable than the SP101. The SP101 is a stronger gun though, and if you see yourself shooting a lot of full power magnum ammo it would most likely hold up better than the S&W.

I just got back from the range, testing the Taurus 85 Titanium that Santa Claus left under the tree. With those little compensator port holes and fat rubber grip it easily outshoots any of the three *&* .38 snubbies I've shot in the past. And it is a whole lot easier to control than the *&* 357. (All the *&* are pre sellout.)

The trigger is still a llittle rough in DA mode, but better than any new *&* I've shot out of the box. SA mode is very smooth with a break like a glass rod, better than any SA auto I've shot except for the Sig. :D

The titanium frame makes it really easy to carry. Considering that carry is 99.9% of the time and shooting 0.1% that is important.

On the downside, I wouldn't want to feed it a steady diet of +P nor abuse it.

.38 spec snub

I am a firm believer in snub nose revolvers and have several. I use them for CC and also for snakes loaded w/shot loads. I currently have a S&W 638, a Taurus 3" M85, 2 Taurus 2" M85s all in stainless, and two Colt Det. Specials - both old models - one standard the other a cobra. I can honestly tell you they are all great handguns.

The 3 Taurus guns span about 15 years, the last one purchased last year. They have definitely gotten a better finish and triggers over that time. If 6 rounds over 5 make a difference to you, you should make a serious effort to find a Colt Det. Special. They are not much larger than a 5 shot Smith or Taurus, especially the old model with the short grip.

Best thing you can do is shop all the different makes and models out there, hold them, shoot them if you can. Pick the gun for its intended purpose. You can't go wrong with any of the three. Have fun shopping.

I would have to agree with Jim March. The Ruger SP101 series Would be the perfect small pistol for what you have describe the duty's of the gun will be. The amount of accessorys and the true toughness of the Ruger SP101 Series give it many advantages IMHO.

Tony

ksp321xlb.gif

OR

ksp831b.gif

Last edited:
Nobody ever talks about them, but my .357 EAA Windicator is as good as and much better than most revolvers i,ve ever shot.The 2'' .38spl however is not rated for +p ammo.

S&W model, 60 3" barrel adj sights

This little gun was a special run a few years back and is a real dandy. Its small enough to conciel light enough to carry all day in the woods and fields and the adj sights make sighting in for different loads easy. Also being able to hit your target (whatever it may be) is a great advantage. For your sugested uses it should be perfect.

I had an sp101 with the 2" barrel and custom wood grip inlays....I miss that gun. It was the perfect snubbie. Oh well, I have shot a couple of other snubbies...one scandium 357...BAD IDEA! I have a Rossi 6 shot snubbie and I like it. It will take the hot loads pretty well and doesnt try to break your wrist in the process.
For packing in the woods and home defense...get a 3-4 " barrel
there more accurate and produce more muzzle energy than a snubbie. If you wanted to carry it...then get a snub. Shoot well

Back