Recommend low maintenance handgun for a non-gun person

One has to assume that the "novice" will get some training in the fundamentals of the Glock operation
That is a assumption, the original post did not suggest that. Why assume if they have no interest in firearms, won't clean them, rarely shoot them, that they will get training in using them.

I know they will only practice infrequently(one or twice a year) & aren't likely to do any regular cleaning or maintenance. For this type of gun owner, what types of handguns would you recommend.

That is only what's required to not fire the gun. Operating a Glock, or any other gun, involves things beyond just not firing it.
A Glock is still one of the most simple to learn
Context is everything

That is a assumption, the original post did not suggest that. Why assume if they have no interest in firearms, won't clean them, rarely shoot them, that they will get training in using them.
Because no one buys something and then doesn't bother to learn to operate it at all.

My main concern would be them unintentionally shooting themselves or someone else.

How anyone can think a Glock would be a good choice of handgun for the type of person described surprises me. Glocks are fine for people that know what way semi/ autos operate, and the do's and don'ts, but for an inexperienced novice. ?
What makes you think they are total idiots?

What makes you think they are total idiots?

What makes you think they are NOT??

Because no one buys something and then doesn't bother to learn to operate it at all.

Its the "at all" part that gets people into trouble. For many things there is a difference between thinking you know how to operate it, and actually knowing how to operate it.

"its a gun, how hard can it be?", is actually something some people think they know, and do not.

An autopistol is simple. Several simple steps. That MUST be done correctly, and in the right order. So is a revolver. But they are different steps.

If you think it is so simple as to be virtually idiot proof, I would like to point out all the "accidents" done by idiots, who claim they "didn't know it was loaded", or some other excuse.

44 AMP said:

Its the "at all" part that gets people into trouble. For many things there is a difference between thinking you know how to operate it, and actually knowing how to operate it.

"its a gun, how hard can it be?", is actually something some people think they know, and do not.

An autopistol is simple. Several simple steps. That MUST be done correctly, and in the right order. So is a revolver. But they are different steps....
Very true. The thing is that complete novices benefit greatly from good instruction. Someone with no prior experience will display some level of anxiety, from minor to fairly great, at handling guns. They also find guns awkward to manage and something of a mystery. Some good instruction goes a long way to mitigating these responses.

On the other hand, at some of the ranges I frequent I see all sorts of shooters, some of whom aren't necessarily new to guns, who are simply awful and unsafe handling their guns and have difficulty keeping their shots on the paper at even close distances.

How do I know this and on what do I base my opinions? Over the past years I've helped introduce several hundred complete novices to handguns in the NRA Basic Handgun classes my group helps teach. Before that I helped teach Basic Handgun classes with others as well as helped teach beginning wingshooting and trapshooting.

Oh, and by the way, I have never accepted compensation. The class fees charged by the group I currently work with covers costs (range fees, the ammunition we provide, class materials given to students, certain overhead expenses (e. g., insurance), etc. None of the instructors make any money at it.

Of course there is always a question of how good one wants to be, and maybe many folks are satisfied just being safe. But even that requires some learning. And a good instructor can make that learning a lot easier.

I agree a good instructor can make learning quicker and safer with a new shooter. Glock operation is pretty simple and anyone that owns and shoots one even infrequently can get a novice started safely with a Glock. The same is true of revolvers. My sister got a DA revolver for home defense because she was uncomfortable with the operation of a semi-auto pistol.

The basic rules of gun safety always apply even for seasoned shooters.

If you think it is so simple as to be virtually idiot proof, I would like to point out all the "accidents" done by idiots, who claim they "didn't know it was loaded", or some other excuse.

These accidents even happen with seasoned shooters who simply aren't paying attention and get lazy. But an accident does not mean they shot themselves or someone else. Gun safety has to be drilled into new shooters.

These accidents even happen with seasoned shooters who simply aren't paying attention and get lazy.

Sure. And at that point they are just as "skilled" as the novice who doesn't know any better. Inattention, laziness, complacency, are reasons why, not how.

When you need a gun, you are already in a state of high anxiety, or worse. Add in someone who barely understands how to load and fire the gun, who cannot be counted on keeping their finger off the trigger, a gun with a short, light trigger pull is a greater risk of accidental discharge than one with a longer, heavier pull.

Balance this against the increased difficulty of a good aimed shot with the longer heavier trigger pull. There is no free lunch, and everything is a trade off. Which factor you trade for another can be very important.

I think a mid size DA revolver is the greatest usable benefit with the least amount of risk for the undertrained user.

Something like a Glock has more benefits (particularly capacity), but it also has more risks.

If it was me for someone that is going to buy a handgun and isn't going to take any training. I would think a fully enclosed hammer .38 revolver would be one option.

Seriously I am sure plenty do, what do you mean by operate it load it pull the trigger. ?

Sure. And at that point they are just as "skilled" as the novice who doesn't know any better. Inattention, laziness, complacency, are reasons why, not how.

In my world, the why is often more important than the how. The how is normally that you or someone pulled the trigger with the rare exception of a dropped gun that discharges unexpectedly.

The double action revolver was always my general recommendation for folks that are not particularly knowledgeable, interested, or experienced with handling handguns. This time I suggested a Glock 9mm.

As far as basic operation goes, one can read the instruction manual and learn that. That doesn't make them proficient, but they do or should know how to operate the handgun. You can dry fire guns to learn the basics as well.

Buy a Glock 17, 19 or 22. I've owned and still own two glocks. Original G17 Gen 1 with maybe only 1000 and change through it and a Glock 22 with about a 1000 on it too, well, both are used, so I think the G17 had low miles when I got it 8 years ago.
the G22 was a police trade in. no failures for me, no parts changed either.

Those of us who don't think a semi-automatic is appropriate for someone who isn't going to practice don't think the potential owners are idiots. If you grow up around guns and friends/family who are gun owners you take it for granted how simple the function and safety rules are. The problem is people who've never been around guns before don't have the same engrained sense of safety and understanding. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I took my son to an NRA Basic Pistol class a couple years ago. There were 6 or 7 other students in the class and none of them had ever handled a firearm. One was an older gentleman who'd bought a double action revolver from a friend. He didn't have the strength to pull the trigger. 3 of them were ladies who'd gone to a gun store and asked, "what should I buy" and were sold semi-automatics. 2 of the 3 didn't have the strength to rack the slide or even compress the magazine spring with their thumbs for loading. The only one in the class, other than my son, who could keep their finger off the trigger was the 20-something son of one of the ladies. The rest of them kept fiddling with their guns while the instructor was on the range with a student. I kept having to remind them not to and got the traditional "but it's not loaded" argument. These were not stupid people. They were just ordinary people with no firearms experience. That day was the first time they'd ever heard the rules of safety and it wasn't engrained yet. Go to an Appleseed event and you'll see the same thing - it's afternoon before you stop hearing people getting yelled at for violating a safety rule. It takes time and reinforcement.

Unless these folks did some serious range time after the class not one of them, with the possible exception of the 20-something guy, would be better off with a pistol in a self-defense situation. Certainly none of the ladies should have been sold a semi-auto and especially, God forbid, a Glock.

punkinhead,

Good post. And -- that's what I'm talking about.

Those of us who've spent a lot of time in the trenches working with untrained and new shooters actually know how dangerous and clueless even the smartest untrained shooters can be.

And with that said, I'll just leave this here: "Heck, I Grew Up Around Guns."

pax

"American males seem to think they are born with genes for driving a car well at high speed and for shooting a handgun well under stressful, demanding conditions. Suggesting they seek professional training in these pursuits seems to be akin to questioning their virility. In truth, a handgun is a hand tool, easier to use well than a violin, but a bit more complex than a shovel. Admitting you need training in its use does not make you less a man, trust me." -- Tom Givens

Seriously I am sure plenty do, what do you mean by operate it load it pull the trigger. ?
There's more to it than just pulling the trigger.
There are countless ways to learn without ever taking a "class"

Dogs aren't the solution

I don't want to hijack, but people keep bringing up dogs as an alternative for those who want to own a gun without spending much time on education and training. In my experience caring for a solid guard dog requires more time and effort than become a competent shooter. And a solid dog (they're not common) has a good working life of eight to ten years at best.

My 642 will not become arthritic after a decade and it will never decide on it's own to rush out the door to get the mailman. If I maintain my gun well I know that the only investments afterwards will be in ammo and cleaning supplies, and I know for sure that it will never chose to run into a spraying skunk.

Guns aren't a blanket solution, but neither are dogs. Both require time, money, and effort. And finally I've never had to bury a gun.

I am a huge Glock fan. But for someone such as the OP described I would never recommend a Glock. Much less any semi automatic handgun.

I would go with a double action only revolver.

But before making any gun recomendation I would very strongly suggest that the person wanting the gun take a basic NRA style handgun safety course.

Rob

I'm all for learning, and youtube can be a valuable source, but there's a lot of misinformation as well.

In this video on a little Beretta the guy shows how easy AND SAFE it is to unload at about 3:20. He removes the magazine, and at 3:26 he has it pointing at his hand while there's a round in the chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zgI8lwzI48

Stuff like this is why I believe a revolver is best for a "non-gun person."

Lots of ways to learn. You're right -- of course there are.

Let's firmly recommend against "trial and error" being among those ways.

And let's also avoid incompetent instruction while we're at it.
We can all cherry pick random examples to show that some people don't always do what's right.

The second one doesn't say anything about his level of training
For all we know he was "highly trained"

They all disregard the millions of safe gun owners who have never taken a class but are still capable shooters.

Back