Recommend low maintenance handgun for a non-gun person

I would suggest a USED 38 special revolver. Many of them were bought for home defense and sat in a drawer for decades with little or no use and no rust. I traded for an old Taurus 38 special from the 70s and it is as tight and shoots like a new one (and looks really good) . It was a $200 gun when my neighbor bought it 20 years ago and it is still a $200 gun.

My LGS receives (on occasion) a shipment of Brinks Security trade-in S&W M-64s. They are 4", stainless 6-shot K-frame revolvers.

She sells them for $200 OTD. That has to be the best deal in the world...I have found new homes for at least two dozen of them.

I currently own two of them, and will buy another at the drop of a hat. I will, on occasion, sell one, for exactly what I paid, to someone who is looking for a good SD handgun.

I am not making any money on these, as my LGS is making little to nothing on these.

PM me if you want one, and I will do my best to put one in your hands.

Definitely a revolver.
Very low maintenance and easy to use.
No worries about limp wrist.
Which revolver. Many choices ... Used S&W without the lock (10,64,15,686, etc), Ruger.

Living in a dream world !!
I have heard the 911 call of a woman who got a gun for protection .It was terrible , as she was totally hysterical as the BGs tried to get in .Hadn't practiced , had no training .Fortunately the operator convinced the woman not to touch the gun.
NEVER suggest someone get a gun unless they are willing to train and practice !!
I stopped giving advice to people if , when I asked "could you under appropriate circumstances kill someone ? ". Most of the time that ended the conversation !

Thanks folks! The comments in favor of a longer trigger pull is an import consideration for someone who doesn't train regularly.

The folks who have asked me are showing interest and willingness to learn. And, yes, anyone who owns a firearm SHOULD train. But saying they shouldn't exercise their second amendment right to legally own a firearm comes dangerously close to a denial of that right -- IMHO.

Last edited:
another vote for the DA revolver. .38caliiber or larger, medium frame or larger. 4" or longer barrel.

mechanically, it is about as idiot proof as it gets. MUCH simpler than any semi auto. Does better in long term uncared for storage, too. Loaded, all springs are fully at rest. No magazine to lose, or to not fully seat. Does ok with NO lubrication.

My Dad didn't touch any of his guns during the last decade of his life. My brother, who lived there, should have been keeping an eye on these things, but didn't.

Found Dad's Colt Govt Model in his dresser drawer. Dropped the mag (loaded with 7 rnds of ball ammo), racked the slide, and watched it move slooowly forward, stopping about a third of the way closed.

Savage 99 in closet, safety on. Frozen by oil turned to glue.

S&W model 28, same closet, perfectly and completely functional.

Anyone who has a gun for use "in gravest extreme" needs to know a few things. Call it training, call it instruction, call it what ever you want, but they need to know how to use the gun and when to use it, and when not to.

and, believe it or not, in this modern day and age, there are people who can learn these things without formal instruction. There are also people who see something on the Internet and are instant experts in all related fields.

If they aren't "gun people" but have some degree of interest "just in case" SIMPLE is the best advice for a gun choice. KNOW THE LAW is the best advice for general use. (and "know the law" doesn't mean what the news says the law allows, it means knowing what the law really covers, not a bunch of BS hype)

Wow! So many responses from people that thought the OP asked for gun suggestions for a mentally incompetent person. In my experience there are very few people I've known that just have the wrong personality to have a gun available to them. I don't think I've known anyone who just didn't have a high enough I.Q.. Yeah it takes a little bit of familiarization but If someone is considering a hand gun almost everyone can deal with the challenge enough for the gun to be an asset in an emergency.

Hipoint.
Yep, I said it.
Cheapest, no maintenance, etc etc.

If they don't care about guns why have them pay $45 for a glock or even $200 for a revolver when a hipoint is regularly avilable for $125?

Revolvers are near-zero maintenance, and easy to clean when you do clean 'em. DA/SA is simplest, because a long DAO trigger requires a fair bit of practice to master. The manual of arms is much simpler than a semi-auto too.

this is like asking what car to get someone who will never maintain the car - no oil changes, never check tire pressure, only put in gas when it runs dry, never wash it, not replace burned out lights.

the answer would be get a bus pass.

likewise, if you aren't going to learn to safely use and maintain a firearm, don't get one.

Taking Responsibility

NEVER suggest someone get a gun unless they are willing to train and practice !!
I feel that this is probably the most important point, in this thread. There are literally hundreds of handguns sitting in drawers next to a "full" box of ammo, just waiting for something bad to happen. Once asked a friend of mine, how many rounds he had shot through his new Beretta and he just looked at me and said that he was still working on the original box. Then said that he really didn't like shooting that much. ..... :rolleyes:

Be prepared and;
Be Safe !!!

I have a variety of handguns and mostly carry a semi-auto. Nevertheless, my bedside gun of choice is a medium framed .38 special revolver. I want a gun that I can leave in the drawer without worrying that springs are fatigued or the gun won't operate because of solidified oil. At 3:00 a.m. I want a gun that is simple to operate (pull the trigger) and tolerant of a little adrenalin when something goes bump in the night (longer, heavier trigger pull). Once up and awake, another gun might then be employed.

So, revolvers are not just for the "incompetent." They're also for people with a considered approach to defending their homes. Some folks are going to scream about maintenance and training but I'm a realist. I shoot other pistols -- semi-autos and revolvers. It may just happen that my bedside gun doesn't get to the range as often as it should -- out of sight, out of mind.

revolver

Revolver because it's the original point - and - click. Then the trend swung towards more buttons and safeties, then swung back towards simpler design with less buttons however requiring good training and safety practices as a caveat. I would go for a used model 10 or in other words a steel 4+ inch barrel because shooting revolvers can be more pleasant with longer barrels and should your friend wish to see if he/she can actually be a good shot, the accuracy is easier to attain. Recoil from a steel revolver in 38 special with a longer barrel is minimal. The First Steps NRA pistol course I went to years ago only took a few hours and we were allowed to choose to learn on semi-autos vs revolvers, had a good mix of hands on learning, diagrams, laser training, and range time. It only took a phone call to schedule the class and was a very fun birthday surprise. You might look into it - especially after your friend has picked out a firearm so they can learn on that actual pistol.

Please tell your friend not be offended by recommendations against semi-auto. It's because with the semi auto there are a certain set of malfunctions that can occur related to the removable magazine and the slide which reciprocates. These malfunctions have a LOT to do with a proper grip which must be practiced/experimented with. For most people that is the fun part: shoot the gun safely and see how you do. Its greatest strength can be a potential weakness unless someone is willing to learn how to clear stoppages, and grip the pistol properly for that particular gun. (some experienced shooters will find themselves accidentally dropping the magazine on a new pistol because they are used to their thumbs being in a certain place. Hate to have that happen when the robbers come). You might have sensed some nervousness from others about not wanting to practice or get instruction because a firearm is a big responsibility and every other gun we've touched be it a water pistol or hot glue gun, power tools, our fingers automatically have gone to pull the trigger. With a pistol you may only get to make that mistake once. Practice with safe handling can over-write that. And if there is a gun in the house, a spouse and children of age should probably be instructed on safe handling too.

I would go with a bigger name company regardless of semi-auto vs revolver if your friend wishes to hand this pistol down someday. Most popular brands have spare parts that are easy to find should it be damaged or go through regular wear and tear. (that's the downside to some inexpensive imports) best wishes.

Last edited:
Another for a revolver!

If not the GP100, the six shot SP101 .38Spl, would be great too.
Depending on the person's build the GP100 might be a bit difficult to wield, perhaps.

For someone that hasn't a clue about firearms, if I had to recommend something a revolver of some description would be my first choice, easier to learn to carry and shoot safely than a semi/auto for someone with no or little interest. A Glock would be my last choice.

I'm with Burrhead. I can't believe all the Glock recommendations for someone that is not going to train regularly
It really doesn't take a lot of "training" to learn to NOT put your finger on the trigger if you're not ready to shoot, and that rule applies to every gun.

It also takes almost no maintenance at all when you're not shooting often.

There's no need to over complicate things

Tell them to buy a gun that feels good to them in a caliber large enough to do the job.

this is like asking what car to get someone who will never maintain the car - no oil changes, never check tire pressure, only put in gas when it runs dry, never wash it, not replace burned out lights.
It's not even remotely similar to a car

Its just a gun

You wipe it off on the outside and occasionally run a patch through the barrel and chambers.

Kids in grammar school can learn to do this with minimal instructions

Back