Really to know ????

First, NEVER heard of 30 "proof rounds" only one. Usually in a plastic bag, in the box
the pistol comes in.

Second, were any of these cartridges steel, or were they brass? If they were brass,
Lucy hos sum SPLAININ' to do...

That is typical of a crap run operation. More typical of knarly old pop operation.

Of course he wont' say, he is on such shaky ground that someone will shut him down with a lawsuit when the kaboom happens.

If they get it right, bright and shiny. If they get it wrong, tough.

There is a barrel finished for Savage rifles called Apaches that has that MO.

He is too busy to answer calls, takes orders, does not deliver, won't respond to the issue until it shows up on Savage shooters. Hard to know to stay away from because you don't get that detail research wise in those old Pop operations.

Sometimes like on Savage Shooters they are a sponsor and have the fan boys who swear by them and led others into the trap.

I would keep that Skunk at 10 foot pole distance and further if possible.

Good luck with the return.

For about 10 years I bought and sold Trap Guns . I sold a lot of Silver Seitz Guns mostly used . The guns Are made in Maryland( 0ne at a time )the owner is the nicest guy I have had a ton of work done at this shop . He always said thank you at the end of every call .

The test loads were BRASS cases and reloads . I ask what the load was and was told we can not tell you .

If they are brass cases you have to beat out of a clean, new gun, there is
something wrong with the gun. Steel cases don't contract, and may stick.
but brass should slide out easily.

What they told you is BS. The entire purpose of a "proof round" (BTW, the 1, AND ONLY ONE, they put in your new pistol box.) is to demonstrate and verify, beforehand, the performance of the pistol, with a set charge, at a set pressure.
Many times there is specific information provided with the proof round, showing that very information, of which you requested. IMO, these guys are all effed up. But what do I know? I only purchase NIB guns
from reputable manufacturers, a few times a year. Maybe somebody with more experience can help you out.

Last edited:
Well the revolver was back to the maker at 10:20 this morning now let him fix it . If I do not get a new cylinder and this one is said t be just fine it is trip time .

Last edited:
From what you describe, it sounds like they may have simply missed the final
milling stage on the chambers, or something. Should be within thousandths of an inch.

But I'm still not getting why they would shoot 25+ "proof" rounds?

The gunsmith said the last six were proof loads but they had shot the Revolver 30 times .
This person was said a lot of things I just hope they get it right . All I really know is the six spent rounds were still in the chambers and I had a hard time getting them out . Just a very bad way to start with a new Revolver ?

Your 4 loads you shot stuck as well.

So unless you are shooting proof or over loads , its BS. But I think we have more than established that.

RC20 Yes I shot three or four cylinders full of my reloads 240 lead 10.2 Unquie .
Three of more stuck every time ( had to remove Cylinder) shot some out of an old three screw out of six sent cases 3 or 4 fell out .

OP, did you buy this POS with a credit card? If so, may I suggest disputing this with your credit card company. Always something to remember when making purchases.

Two possibilities that I can see.

1. The six proof loads bulged the chambers. This would be very bad and would make me worry about other possible damage to the firearm.

2. They did some kind of custom polishing inside the chambers and got a little carried away. Although it's not a good situation and speaks to other possible problems with the work, the specific issue could be addressed by replacing the cylinder.

If we take them at their word that they fired 30 rounds without incident after finishing the work but before firing the six proof rounds, then possibility 2 is eliminated because they would have noted the ejection/extraction issues during the 30 round function check

JohnKSa Believe me NO one did any Polishing in this Cylinder . I have seen some really Ruff chambers this one looked like left hand threads . I did show this cylinder to a real gunsmith he said the chambers were not bored straight (tool wobble)

I was taking them at their word that they fired 30 rounds through it after doing the work. Given chambers as rough as you describe, they should have had difficulty with ejection/extraction during those 30 rounds which makes it unlikely that they would have continued to the proof test and then let the gun out the door.

So I'm guessing they didn't test fire the gun. Either that or they had to beat the cases out of the cylinder and still figured that wasn't going to be an issue for the purchaser...:rolleyes:

OR, they did fire the gun 6 rounds (and maybe not? "proof rounds", and didn't bother to try to eject the fired cases. Gun didn't blow up, box it up and ship it!
:eek::rolleyes:

Well, if the gun is actually a Ruger, and if you no longer want to deal with this fellow, you could probably have Ruger fit it with a new cylinder. it probaably wouldn't be free, but it might be a way to salvage the gun without a total loss.

It is a Custom and the only part Ruger is the frame . Also I do not think Ruger ever made a cylinder as small as the one in this gun .

Am I the only one utterly shocked that the maker shipped this with empty cases in the cylinder? If I received a custom revolver with cases in the cylinder upon unboxing I would be suspicious right out the gate (I'm sure OP was). About the time I couldn't hand eject them, gun goes back. Probably demand my money back and go somewhere else at that point, unless I had previous good experiences with the outfit.

Nothing about their excuse sounds right. I have never seen, nor heard of, a new custom gun arriving with fired brass still in the chamber. Not even on the interwebs.

The Custom Gunsmith has had the gun only five days so I have no idea when to see it again . That to me will tell the story if I need to send it back again I will get my money back . I never met anyone so full of himself .

I will not post again until I have the Revolver back . At that time I will keep it or not . I see no need to say any more until then .

This has really upset me and I need to not think about it for now .

Back