Really... is that one gun worth 4-5 others ???

One factor that hasn't been mentioned much is sentimental attachment. For example, I have an old H&R 20 ga Model 148 single shot shotgun that isn't worth much on the market. But it's very special to me because my grandfather gave it to my dad for his 10th birthday, then my dad gave it to me on my 10th birthday. When I have a child, I plan on passing it down. So not only was it my first gun, it's just a part of the family. I know I couldn't sell it for much $$$ at all, but it means more than that to me. I actually have a couple of pieces I feel that way about, but I won't bore you all with my personal stories. Maybe it's just me, but I love all my guns regardless of what they're monetary value is. Sometimes, even some cheap ones are cool, fun, or interesting. The only gun in my collection I've ever sold was an AR-15, but that's only because I felt like it was easily replaceable.

Quote:
One factor that hasn't been mentioned much is sentimental attachment.

Actually I did, post #24. Hopefully you didn't just skip it because it was too long for you

As did I in post #9. But you're right, Every Caliber, it hasn't been mentioned much. Attachment for sentimental reasons is probably the best reason to hang on to certain firearms.

dgludwig said:
You can visit me anytime.

Sorry bud... I left the gun with one of my best friends so I don't need to go through the hassle of shipping my gun each time I fly. I stopped carrying my Glock 26 after I got my Kahr PM9 so it is no big deal. He has 2 kids, but he also has a safe where the gun is stored.

Like others have said, I don't trade guns I like. I have trade a handful that I didn't like. I have a few that I'm indifferent about. I would probably trade those and wouldn't mind trading multiple guns for one gun as long as I was getting reasonable value for the trades.

WARNING - THREAD DRIFT AHEAD

Sorry bud... I left the gun with one of my best friends so I don't need to go through the hassle of shipping my gun each time I fly. I stopped carrying my Glock 26 after I got my Kahr PM9 so it is no big deal. He has 2 kids, but he also has a safe where the gun is stored.
Good thing the universal background check bill didn't pass --- you know the one to close the "gun show loophole." What you described would have been a transfer and required a background check of your friend. Then when you returned, you couldn't shoot it except at an approved gun range --- unless you wanted to go through another transfer procedure.

I think it depends on how much that pistol costs and what the 5 or 6 others would be. If we are talking about something in the range of $5000. Well I could personally own most of the pistols on my acquisition list for that much. All great guns, but none of them are $5000 a piece great. However I do agree quality over quantity though. I would rather have one gun I know I can count on than 100 guns that cough and sputter.

KYJim said:
Good thing the universal background check bill didn't pass --- you know the one to close the "gun show loophole." What you described would have been a transfer and required a background check of your friend. Then when you returned, you couldn't shoot it except at an approved gun range --- unless you wanted to go through another transfer procedure.

I never officially transferred the pistol to him. He is just holding it for safe keeping for me since I travel there periodically. I have a business there and I carry when I am there. Besides, he is a Major in the Air Force and was given a "definite promote" for Lieutenant Colonel. He also has pretty high level clearance since he was manning nukes.

I never officially transferred the pistol to him. He is just holding it for safe keeping for me since I travel there periodically. I have a business there and I carry when I am there. Besides, he is a Major in the Air Force and was given a "definite promote" for Lieutenant Colonel. He also has pretty high level clearance since he was manning nukes.
All of that wouldn't have mattered the way the law was written you couldn't leave it in his possession without a transfer.

I was offered an Alaskan Super Redhawk in .454 new in the box and a GP100 Talo edition Wiley Clapp that has maybe 20 rounds through it, for my 1989 Freedom Arms .454 Premire grade.

I am considering it.

Sorry but this is wrong.

"Sec. 922. Unlawful acts
(a) It shall be unlawful:

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides;except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;"

Sorry but this is wrong.
You should read more of the fine print, there's a pretty narrow definition of loaning for sporting purpose.
IE You can't just leave it with them on the off chance they might use it.

And how exactly are they going to determine the intent of the borrower???

Is this ever going to be prosecuted???

How low on the list of things to worry about should this be???

And how exactly are they going to determine the intent of the borrower???
We are dealing with the ATF they get to decide how to interpret intention
Is this ever going to be prosecuted???
no it didn't pass

How low on the list of things to worry about should this be???
I would say that depends on which state you live in

It is held for safe keeping and not on loan. I travel there and like to have a firearm available to me. Should the need ever arise and my friend need to use it, he is obviously welcome to do so. As I said, he is a Major in the US Air Force and soon to be Lieutenant Colonel. This is so not on my list of worries, but I'm glad that someone else is worrying about it for me. I can't afford to lose any hair or sleep over it... I don't have enough of either as it is! ;):p

Back