Really... is that one gun worth 4-5 others ???

Heck, I've only got one close quarters combat 870, but my deer hunting 870 with a rifled barrel and Leupold scope is good for combat to 100+ yards. :D I would have six 870's (one more than necessary) if I hadn't sold one about 38 years ago.

Dad doesn't hunt or shoot competition.

He just likes guns, preferably ones designed for combat or SD.

If only we had the real version of his childhood toy gun collection (or hell, still had the toys!) which was kept neatly stowed in his dresser draws when not in use killing imaginary Nazis.

I don't trade guns, but I was prefer quality over quantity.

Dime a dozen guns don't do much for me. I like the stuff you don't see everyday.

Is it worth 4 or 5 others?

Of course it...can be...sometimes...

There are two wrong ways IMO to look at it, to say "in general no" or to say "in general, yes." I say this because that decision should be made on a case by case basis, using an open minded perspective each time. I've trade multiples for one, and I never regeretted it. It all depends.

I think early on, gun collectors and shooters make the same mistake - that having quantity is special, and while it can be, quality is that much more special. Having a codensed collection of special pieces, but less of them, is always better in the end. That is why I have often said a 200 gun collection does not impress me, unless its 200 quality pieces. Having 200 guns, which are cheap and or common is something that a lot of people could do, if they wanted it. Many of us may have a large mortgage, have another hobby (or addiction), a car payment, etc that prevents us from having 200 guns. Sometimes we choose not to have that many, but the point is, having a large collection is attainable for most people, IMO.

That brings me to my next point: How do we each look at our guns? I often look at a gun valued at $200 as "$200" which works for me. Others view the gun as a grown up toy, others a connection to past time in their life, others see guns from loved ones and remember that person. In reality, we all probably have guns from each category. I however, usually assign a dollar value to the gun (unless its from a family member). If I have for example 6 Winchester 94s from the 70s, all in 30-30, valued at $400 each, and I can trade them for a $3000 gun, I will do it each and every time. Having a ton of common guns isn't all that impressive in my mind. The bigger consideration is the total dollar amount for each side, rather than the total amount of guns, IMO. I mean who wouldn't trade 4 common Glocks for a vintage mint boxed SIG P210, for example?

However, there are some guns we all have which we would hate to do without for various reasons. I have some I would be reluctant to trade but when the trade results in $500 for my $300 gun, I am often very interested in that trade. Sometimes a trade is even dollar wise, but still worth doing because maybe the gun you are giving up is a tough one to sell (if you were trying to sell it) or maybe you are getting a much more prized gun, despite the money being close.

The way I do things, probably closely patterns the way bluestarlizzard's dad did trading, buying and selling to get his collection. I'm a collector at heart, but I don't ignore the money either. By either buying or selling the wrong way, many of us make this already expensive hobby more expensive than it has to be.

I snapped a photo of a prime example of when I personally would trade several guns that I have, for one.

Below is my collection of S&W 1st model revolvers. There were 3 issues of the 1st model: 1st issue (top), 2nd issue (right) and 3rd issue (left). First issue guns are hard to find. They were all made before the civil war, which probably increased their attrition rate. Many 2nd issues were made during the civil war but most were not, and for the 3rd issues, all were made after the civil war. In addition, far fewer 1st issues were made compared to 2nd or 3rd issues. There were over

All guns work in the photo, and the conditions are above average (except for maybe the gun bottom left). On the left there is an all blued 3rd (scarce) and another 3rd that probably shipped with the pearls it has. The bottom gun on right, a 2nd issue, has nearly all of its silver plate on the frame (barrels and cylinders were blue, frames silver plate for 2nds), so the condition is great. Despite all of that, I would trade the 6 bottom guns (3 on left and 3 on right) for the top one, just about every time. To a S&W collector, a so called 1st model 1st issue (aka 1st 1st) is a big deal. Mine happens to be a 3rd type (there were 6 sub types of the 1st issue) which is more scarce than the later types 4, 5 and 6). Most seen today are type 6.

GEDC0818_zps3cbf533f.jpg

I have many other guns that I would trade multiples to get, because they are scarce/rare, historically significant, more valuable, and often more special to me.

Months back, a seller on gunbroker was selling a collection of approx 50 S&Ws from the same guy. I believe he was a retired dentist, IIRC. Many S&W collectors have over 50 S&Ws, so I wondered how great of a collection it was, in the scheme of things. Then I started looking at the guns. Every gun he had was either rare, factory custom, all were vintage, many were lettered and most were in very high condition. Some of the more special ones (all were special) were a 6in registered magnum, ANIB and a triple lock target (scarce) in 44-40 (rare) which had 2 extra cylinders fitted to the gun, and numbered to it from the factory, one in 44 Russian and one in 44 special. IIRC the Reg Mag went for around $12k and the 44-40 went for $7.5k. Despite being "only" 50 guns, that was one great collection. In my collecting, I have attempted to focus more in on having better guns than having many lesser firearms.

I'm also not ragging anyone who really enjoys having a large arsenal, or having 9 different 10/22s or 15 AK47s. I am just attempting to point out a different philosophy regarding firearms acquisition. Early on, I had many examples of guns which would not interest me today. OVer time, I slowly refined what I look for, which means I pass up many guns. In the long run, I think I am better off than I used to be. Being selective during purchasing can reap big rewards when selling, if one decides to sell.

Last edited:
As the owner of a svelte Merkel 28ga double, do it!

There ya go.....If it fits you, it is one the lightest and nicest 28s out there.....

I would rather have a smaller group of guns of the best quality I could afford with each having a specific purpose than a safe (or two) of guns I don't shoot ......(Sorry BigJim my friend)

I have a friend who owns 2 Browning 52-gun safes that are full, plus he has another 2 dozen on display - when he come to the gun club, he shoots the same gun every time -it is a decent enough Browning, but if he got rid of the ones he doesn't shoot or have collector's value, he could easily afford to get a few custom built shotguns made to his personal specs

My one "more expensive than five or six" came on my 60th birthday as a present to myself. Knowing my wife, I was more likely to get new socks than a new gun, so I had to jump on a SIG P210, like new, made the same year I was born. It showed up on gunbroker and called out to me. I don't regret it. My guns acquired before that one are all fine guns, and I enjoy everyone of them like children; I love them all. But the SIG is the icing on the cake. It has a special place as "the birthday gun", and probably WILL outshoot most, if not all the rest. ............................................................
pix137843913.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I have owned my share of lower quality guns . Sold or traded for better quality .Now at my time in life a few great guns beat a safe full of junk.

I once sold 3 or 4 to finance a target pistol. It still looks like a parkerized 1911. Being pretty was not a consideration. Cost me approx. 2 Pythons at the time. Yeah it's worth it.

I got mine after prostrating myself before my wife and promising her I'd never buy another gun if I could just buy one last one-the Merkel.
Awesome! Mine came after worrying for six weeks that I had cancer, facing reconstructive surgery to my face either way. Turned out to be a benign cyst and I found a good surgeon who could do the job without reconstructing half my jaw. I counted myself lucky but realized life was short and can get a lot shorter in an instant. I decided to treat myself. A truly "fine" double was something I always wanted and the Merkel 280 was what I chose. It took me some time to pay it off but I've never regretted it and thoroughly enjoy hunting with it. It's no safe queen!

Is one gun worth 4-5 others?
Yes.
Kel-Tec P3AT x5 < Ed Brown Special Forces.
($300 x 5 = $1,500)

Nothing against the Kel-Tec P3AT, I have one and like it.

Yes, pride of ownership means a lot to me and I can just shoot one at a time anyway.

I started out with Hi Points and Taurus's, now all I have any interest in is high end 1911's, S&W revolvers, and Freedom Arms revolvers.

I have no problem trading as many guns as necessary for one you really want. I have more than I can/want to shoot anyway, so it is a matter of value and priority. But honestly, I don't own five guns that I would trade for a single gun unless the value of the new acquisition is substantially more valuable than all five put together. In my accumulation and my wants, I have a hard time seeing that. All the "junk" has long ago been sold or traded.

How about a Colt Diamondback trade for a lightly used Freedom Arms 475?

I came to the realization that I have the first 22rifle I ever had and the stevens 311 that my grandfather gave me. Those will never leave me. Everything else is up for grabs on a whim if I get a wild hair. 1 for 1, 3 for 1 or 17 for 1.

Good question. But it gets both a yes and no. There are some that I would trade several for a good N frame Smith or a large frame Ruger but there are a couple of N frame Smiths that I wouldn’t give up for anything.
I think is depends on what’s out there.

lots of good reply's...

myself... yep... I used to have some junkers, that "back then" I would have traded 5-6 for a great gun, but where I'm at in life, ( I still have some "cheaper" guns ) but everything I have, is either a good shooter, or holds a hard to fill space in a collection, or holds sentimental attachment... so I like shooting everything I currently have, enough, that I'd have a hard time even trading 2 for 1 ...

Winchester73 is right on the money as far as I am concerned.

Over the years I have had a great many ordinary guns and most of them are now gone. Either traded away for something else, or sold to buy a better gun. I don't know how many of my current stash of guns I would be willing to sell to finance a Registered Magnum, but I would certainly entertain the thought if one becomes available.

I had a 870 Remington combat shotgun. When I acquired a Winchester Model 97 trench gun I sold the 870. While I could have bought three Remingtons for what I paid for the 97, I would rather have one old warhorse like the Winchester than any number of newer models. I feel I only need one home defense shotgun and the 97 fills that need perfectly.

I can think of lots of 5 for 1 trades I'd gladly make. I'd have no problem coming up with 5 assorted 22s, sporterized Krags, or pump shotguns I'd happily trade for a Perazzi, a Dakota 10 or a nice 28 SxS Merkel.

I have bought and sold hundreds of guns over the years of my life. It was always good to have first hand experience as a basis for an opinion.

There are some guns that are just a whole lot better than others - and they often do cost more. I am not a collector, I am the dude that shoots a Korth every week and eventually I will have spent more on the ammo than on that rimfire Korth but enjoy it more than my BMW.

I have only gotten rid of a few guns since I started shooting including a H&K USP in .40 that I gave to my cousin as a wedding present. I also traded a Sig P245 (plus cash) for a pre-owned Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. the Les Baer is definitely worth double what the Sip P245 was. For some strange reason or other, I could not shoot that gun worth a darn. I was very accurate with my P228 and P229 though. I also left a Glock 26 at my buddies in another state. Virginia honors Florida's carry permit so I just leave it up there.

I want to get rid of my Kahr MK9 since it is too heavy to carry and I have no use for it.

Overalls, there are only a few guns that one needs for concealed carry. For me, all of my other guns are because I enjoy them. I would not carry any of my range toys including my Sig P210, my Les Baer Monoloth, or my H&K P7M8. I have a pair of Sig P229 that serves as a home defense gun along with my Remington 870.

As someone already stated, quality over quantity. I also believe it is far better to have some great shooting guns than a safe full of common guns. The same analogy could be applied to cars. Would you rather have 5 Honda Accords or 1 Aston Martin? Heck, I'd give up 5 BMWs for a Ferrari 458!

Back