Real self defense

Risk Mitigation is as important as situational awareness. I don't go into bad neighborhoods or high crime areas. I don't get drunk at downtown bars at night and then stagger around looking for my car (dangerous on two fronts), yet many of our young people do similar or even riskier activities.

Some years ago, a friend and his fiancee attended a concert at a music hall in a major city. Rather than pay the $10 parking fee in a supervised parking deck, they decided to save the money and park for free about 8 blocks from the event center. After the concert, as they walked back to their car, they were attacked and beaten very badly. No robbery took place. An investigating police officer told them later that the assault was part of a gang initiation and that there have been quite a few similar incidents. In recent years these types of attacks have acquired a name "Knockout Kings." Afterward, the young couple each admitted that they had uneasy feelings about parking far away, but both of them buried or ignored those instincts, nor mentioned those concerns to each other that night.

Situational awareness is equally important but unfortunately too many of us "civilized" people ignore our gut instincts and pretend that danger signals are not real. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Don't ignore what your "gut" is telling you.

Last edited:
Situation awareness is so very important. Some adults are in a zone of their own, clueless!

SA is not just in a bad City, walking the street.

For instance, many years ago (1968 visiting England, from Canada) two couples, my brother in law, my sister-in law, and my Wife, went out for supper.

My pushy Sister in law, walked into the the Indian Restaurant, my Wife behind her, my clueless Brother in law bringing up the rear.

I was parking the rental. These three adults missed the danger signs totally!

The end result, me in a one on 4 fist fight (Brother in Law not involved) and due to the fact I am handy in a fight, we walked out in one piece. I sustained cut knuckles on my right hand.

Visuals, no doorman (Bouncer) 4 late teens, early twenty scruffs, sitting in a booth, empty plates in front of them, looking about (run outs in waiting) the leader, easy to spot, making sure I saw him giving our two (very attractive) woman the kind of look that has rape in mind (or insult) helpful in leaving with out paying.

A table near the booth we were showed to, three young people, drunk, loud.

This part of Lancashire, UK, bad news! This was apparent to me in 30 seconds, my clueless companions, clueless!

That's were SA is so important!

Foreforged said;

Plain ole common sense and goodl ole "paying attention". The OP make a good point all around.

Over the past 10-15 years I have noticed this trend of trying to make common sense and paying attention into some highly intellectualized ideology filled with fancy Military sounding jargon and acronyms. All of which have meanings that have already been well established in common language for over a century.. they just dont sound as kool or sell merchandise.

Grand-ma and Grand-pa said it best:

G-ma: Pay attention and Be careful

G-pa: Eyes open..mouth shut

One of the best posts I've read on this site.

Ego

Don't forget to let your ego at home. Your ego can get you in a lot of trouble, esp if you think because you're packing, you can afford to mouth off to someone. As a good Sister of the cloth told me in grade school...."a word to the wise"....it's better to say you're sorry or not say anything at all and slink away than to get in a urinating contest over something stupid and get into a situation your big mouth can't get you out of. 90% of all one's troubles are caused by one's big mouth, another word to the wise.

Back