Real self defense

rodeo roy

The difference between SD shooting and somebody crossing the line in street justice have been noted. For me part of my self defense is paying careful attention to the area, staying out of danger or recognizing a threat potential is as important as being ready to use your gun.

In SD the gun won't save you, your mind will. Some EDC'ers think cause they carry and what they carry means that they can go get gas in an unkown area at night, or walk past a group of shady looking people, or other actions that you would not do if you didn't carry.

Being careful is your first line of defense, know your surroudings threats can come from anywhere any time but it helps to being paying attention.

Last edited:
Risk mitigation is your friend and your first line of defense; Situation awareness your second and the firearm should be your last.

Start off by not going to that dangerous area...park in well lit areas at night; if you are really paranoid don't have a routine that someone can set a watch to.

Wherever you do go watch your environment; try to get out before it turns into a SD Scenario once you notice something is not right/threat is imminent

If you cannot get out then defend yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really annoys my wife to catch me checking for escape routes, safe areas etc while shopping. IMO, in today's troubled world, situation awareness is a must.

It really annoys my wife to catch me checking for escape routes, safe areas etc while shopping. IMO, in today's troubled world, situation awareness is a must.
My ol' lady hates when I do that too, but when something actually goes down they'll appreciate it!

Plain ole common sense and goodl ole "paying attention". The OP make a good point all around.

Over the past 10-15 years I have noticed this trend of trying to make common sense and paying attention into some highly intellectualized ideology filled with fancy Military sounding jargon and acronyms. All of which have meanings that have already been well established in common language for over a century.. they just dont sound as kool or sell merchandise.

Grand-ma and Grand-pa said it best:

G-ma: Pay attention and Be careful

G-pa: Eyes open..mouth shut

Lets not even start in on the word "tactical"... which actually had a realistic meaning a few decades ago.

Last edited:
Six elements separating winners from losers

Mindset, Knowledge, Judgment, Tactics, Marksmanship, firearm. In order of importance

Agree wholeheartedly that the first three elements, when followed, can often keep you out of a shooting situation.

Yes, my GF gets annoyed with me sometimes, we went out to dinner, I told her I was going to use the restroom before we sat down, I did and also checked for exits at the back of the building, I have learned to be sneaky about sizing up people in the room and my surroundings in general, so as not to appear distant when I'm with her.

Situational awareness is probably the most important thing I learned at Gunsite. Jeff Cooper used a four part color code to teach his concept of levels of mental awareness.
CONDITION WHITE - when a person is unaware of what is going on around them.
CONDITION YELLOW - is being alert to what is going on around you. You don't let people or things get within a perimeter without being aware. This is a relaxed state of general alertness, with no specific focal point.
CONDITION ORANGE- This is a heightened state of alertness, with a specific focal point.
CONDITION RED- In Red, you are ready to fight!

For a more detailed essay on the Color Code:
States of Awareness, the Cooper Color Codes By Tom Givens
http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBladeArticle/4_States of Awareness.htm

Situational awareness is something I always use when I leave home. I have never had to use my handgun as a civilian in 30 years of carrying. I believe that being aware has saved me serious grief on several occasions.

I have seen and use the color code concept, I just use numbers. 4 is safe 30-50yds out, 1 is danger 8yds to 5ft. Used with my son I ask him to say what he sees in zone 4 at 2'oclock the switch vision to 11'oclock zone 2.

In a real life sd which is the proper fight or flee zone distant, can you see somebody pull a gun and make a dash for cover or exit stage left in 50yds, 30yds, where do you make a stand and fight from. No wrong or right answer just wondering

I learned a long, long time ago that there is always someone better, faster, stronger. Just because you carry a gun does not mean you can walk down every dark alley.

Your gun is only one part of the solution.

Sun Tzu wrote:

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

rodeo roy said:
...In a real life sd which is the proper fight or flee zone distant, can you see somebody pull a gun and make a dash for cover or exit stage left in 50yds, 30yds, where do you make a stand and fight from. No wrong or right answer just wondering ...
The reasons there's no right answer are because (1) distance alone is not the test; and (2) it's not even the right question.

The basic test as to whether lethal force would be justified is sometimes referred to as AOJP:

1. Would a reasonable and prudent person in like circumstances and knowing what you know conclude that the assailant had the Ability, i. e., the power to deliver force sufficient to cause death or grave bodily harm;

2. Would a reasonable and prudent person in like circumstances and knowing what you know conclude that the assailant had the the Opportunity, i. e., the assailant was capable of immediately deploying such force;

3. Would a reasonable and prudent person in like circumstances and knowing what you know believe himself or an innocent to be in Jeopardy, i. e., the assailant was acting in such a manner that a reasonable and prudent person would conclude that he has the intent to kill or cripple; and

4. Would a reasonable and prudent person in like circumstances and knowing what you know conclude that circumstances Preclude other safe [to the defender] means of avoiding harm?

Distance can be a part of the equation, but there are other factors as well that are material to assessing the situation.

pax

I did see something enter the picture but I did not focus on it so I had no clue it was a gorilla. In the second vid I noticed the change, but did not trust what I thought I saw.

The whole thing really speaks to the multiple attacker scenario. I know my ability to hit what I aim at has a lot to do with focusing on the target. It was eye opening. I did not read all of the text so I did not see if any exercises were given to help see better if possible.

I work on getting shoots on target quickly and getting cover or out of the direct access to the attacker. Sd has so many different aspects that one could never really train for everything you just gotta hope whatever you train/practice would be of some use if you need it, but how do you train to see better.

Frank

I am aware of the legal part in my state. Some have mentioned that part of their training /practice includes shoots of 50yds or more as part of sd. Where I live that's likely murder. I also know that some one intent on getting to you to harm you will close a lot of ground fast. The question was asked as a personal what would you do. Personally if I had to choose I'd say 30ft is around the time to hit the action button for me but, truth is you never know when.

rodeo roy said:
....Some have mentioned that part of their training /practice includes shoots of 50yds or more as part of sd. Where I live that's likely murder...
There are a number of reasons to regularly include practice at extended distances in one's practice regimen. Among other things, it's useful for developing and maintaining basic marksmanship skills, especially trigger control. And on rare occasions someone has had to defend himself against a legitimate, but distant, threat.

Back