Re-evaluate CC

I like Deaf's comment ...
I have long pondered the dilemma of clout .vs. control .vs. concealment.

I also like the observations & comments by other folks, like Pax & kraigwy, about how it's more the shooter's skillset & experience than the actual gun/caliber that matters, overall.

As a young cop (and gun enthusiast, reloader, etc) I carried an assortment of .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special & .45 ACP handguns on my own time. That was also a time when it was common to hear the recommendation to "carry a full-size fighting handgun".

Time passed. I became a firearms instructor & armorer and had the opportunity to gain increasingly more experience, attend more training, run a lot more practice/drills, teach LE and private citizens, etc. My off-duty weapons became smaller.

Sure, if I were still actively working and constantly being sent to intervene in people's lives where known or suspected trouble existed, I'd be carrying a larger handgun all the time. Since I'm retired, though, and have a lot more control over my daily activities and where I choose to engage in them, I'm usually satisfied carrying one or another of my 5-shot snubs or a LCP.

There are still times when I feel it may be prudent to belt on one of my 9's, .40's or .45's ... but it's often one of the compact/subcompact models versus one of the full-size models. Just depends.

They all get range time for training, practice & quals, though. I still include ringing steel out to 40-50 yds with my 5-shot snubs, just to make sure my foundation skillset basics don't rust away when I'm not looking.

Trooper Coats was, however, able to respond with effective fire even though his thoracic injury was about as bad one could ever expect from a .22LR round. Not to make light of it in any way, but I don't want to have to attempt a bank shot through an armpit, off the shoulder blade, and into the heart or great vessels in order to defend myself or my family.

Just to clarify, Trooper Coats had already fired 5 rounds center mass into Blackburn before Blackburn ever fired. Trooper Coats was standing over him, without cover (training scar), trying to call help on the radio when Blackburn fired. I'm not making light of his death either, as it was tragic, but I believe a lot of LEO lives were saved by watching that video and dealing with that training scar. Once Trooper Coats was hit, he never returned fire.

No "One size fits all" in this deal. Lifestyle, occupation, activity: Different deals for different people.

Me, I'm an ancient retiree. A week away from Eight-O. :D I don't go to bad parts of town, not out much at night, limited wanderings away from home. Small town.

So, playing the odds, a 642CT seems to fit MY probable need.

I was on a jury on a shooting deal. Five Hydra-Shoks from a snubby .38 at a distance of maybe ten feet. The coroner's report opined that any of the five would have been fatal. So, IMO, Hydra-Shok +P oughta work okay.

Me, I'm an ancient retiree. A week away from Eight-O.

Well happy birthday ancient one, I am only 9 1/2 years away to get there (LOL)

This is just for consideration, not a recommendation or a must have. But a 45 ACP in a 3.6 inch barrel, double stack mag, 7 +1, DA/SA in a small frame and very comfortable to carry and conceal and feels like a 1911 in your hand.

Jim

Last edited:
But a 45 ACP in a 3.6 inch barrel, double stack mag, 7 +1, DA/SA in a small frame and very comfortable to carry and conceal and feels like a 1911 in your hand.

Got a non-Pro version of the same. All that is true, except I would not say it feels like a 1911 in the hand. The double stack .45 makes it a big chunky grip.

Here's a couple comparison pics I did, with an old Detonics .45 that came through my hands last month. Not a huge amount of size difference.

Alas, the Bersa needs some professional attention.

Attachments

• uc45 and detonics 2.JPG
    uc45 and detonics 2.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 25
  • uc45 and detonics sm.JPG
    uc45 and detonics sm.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 22
What kind of EDC...

Considerations for EDC vary for different reasons. What kind of life do you lead...where do you travel during your normal day...and on and on. Concealed Carry consideration that is most challenging? Keeping the firearm concealed. Some states have stringent repercussions for even accidental printing of a concealed weapon. If someone in line at the coffee shop happens to get a glimpse or an impression of a weapon when you bend down to pick up your keys that you dropped, they could notify law enforcement and your whole day (and a lot more) would take a turn for the worse. Of course, if I were involved in a gunfight when I left that coffee shop, I would love to have an AR-15 to defend myself with...even though I do not own one and do not have the $3,000 to even contemplate ever buying one. But, that being said, having a gun...even a small one, is better than having no gun at all and cowering behind a trash can, hoping that it's made of ballistic steel instead of plastic, right? I carry a Ruger LC9 in a IWB holster with three 7-round magazines filled with 9mm hollow points and one up the pipe. If that gives me a chance to get back to my vehicle, I can put my hands on 100 more rounds. That is the best I can hope for other than having a .50 cal mounted in the bed of my truck...like in the Middle East.

They all get range time for training, practice & quals, though. I still include ringing steel out to 40-50 yds with my 5-shot snubs, just to make sure my foundation skillset basics don't rust away when I'm not looking.

Absolutely Fast Bolt!

Plus it's fun to see what one can still do with those handy snubs!

And after reading about a few people intervening in mass shootings and getting shot to pieces at close range I feel maybe some longer range shooting skills would keep one out of the kill zone while still fixing the wagon of the nutjobs.

Deaf

I have been up and down the carry gun continuum. From full size autos and revolvers to j frames and Kel Tec 32s. I find J frames and compact 9mm with for me best. I can carry them all day. I'm relaxing in my easy chair right now with a 442. I know it's there but not bugging me, full size carry gun not so much.

I've always felt that a person has to carry what "fits" them and whatever their requirements are. I have a friend who is 82 and he recently got a .380 Bodyguard. For him, it works and I can't really see him carrying a bigger sidearm - but that's what his requirements are.

I have always been very comfortable with revolvers and 38 spl. In fact, I prefer them. I currently carry a Smith Model 36 snub. In a lot of places where I go, I'm comfortable with it but I am slowly working towards carrying a Model 10 with a 4 inch barrel. I just plain shoot it better.

With that said, I have always felt that "practice" is very very important and doing it often. I always felt that "shot placement" was more important than "quantity". But . . . I'm beginning to change my mind on that as well.

The only semi I have is a Ruger SR9. In the winter, we are in Arizona - about 45 miles north of the border. When one considers that they (hopefully)_ will probably never have to be in a situation where they would need to draw their weapon . . . I think that one also has to realize that given the many shootings that have happened by the "crazies" as well as situations where there are more than one "perp" involved . . . . the thought of having "enough" rounds is also something that some of us old die hards are starting to realize. I'm beginning to like the idea of having 17 in a double stack with a spare - just in case.

I usually carry on the belt with a shirt tail or jacket over it. In AZ, it's not a problem as we have "open carry" as well but I don't like to "advertise". While I am comfortable with the 9mm cartridge - I'm even beginning to think about going with a 45 just due to the greater knock down power.

Recently, I took a class that was taught by LE officer and a former special ops. military retiree who now works LE. The one thing . . . above any of the shooting instruction . . . that they drilled into our heads was to ALWAYS look for more than one perp . . . and if we weren't "scanning" between shots, we basically got slapped along the head - so to speak. I shot not only my Model 10 but my SR9 as well. All of the instructors made a point of talking with me about "what" is out there today that a person might have to face in terms of an armed perp . . and that just like we were taught as kids that there was "safety in numbers" . . . the same applied to the number of cartridges that a person had available if needed.

I'm older and sometimes it's hard to change . . . but I honestly think that anyone who takes the responsibility of carrying CCW, needs to always be re-evaluating their thinking. I don't think there is a cut and dried "right or wrong" - it's just that a person always needs to be "learning" and if necessary, changing. :)

Lots of "problems facing us today" and similar comments would make someone forget America is currently the safest it has ever been.

Carry the full size. It doesn't hurt me. But let's not over exaggerate the dangers we face from a shooting. That's why small are so popular. You just don't need a gun today...but in case you want one, the small one is a great option. Being tethered to a cumbersome object just isn't reasonable for most people. I would agree.

I own lots of guns but carry a P3AT.

I agree with the "different guns in different situations" point of view. Most days at work (office setting), I carry a Shield 9. I don't really expect to have to ward off multiple bad guys. Out and about is a different story. Around here, the punks seem to run in packs. I'm not entirely sure a single stack would be enough. I feel better with my M&P9c. 12+1 & a spare 17rd mag seems to be more comforting.

I recently moved away from 9mm and onto 45ACP. Found my perfect two 9mm carry guns. My P226 and Glock 19. Now my .45 carry gun so far is a Smith and Wesson PD Scandium frames 1911. Love it. But I feel the need for a little higher capacity.

3eqanu2u.jpg
[/IMG]

I've bounced around some, from full size 9mms, to sub compacts, to pockets to full out 1911's, full size Glocks, and back.

I've settled (for now) with the Glock 30S, since I get my preferred .45 ACP in a nice, easy to carry all day package. Jeans go on in the morning, so does the .45, normally.

I've found, however, that my Ruger LCR .38 slid into a pocket is awful handy on lazy days (when I don't wear jeans) or with cargo shorts when its too hot out.

I would rather be great with a 22lr, than lousy with a 10mm.
I am not aiming for pelvic bones.
Caliber arguments will never end it seems. Shoot whatever you like, as long as you are good with it.

well i remember an article about a police shooting of a suspect at 150 yards. with a 3-4 inch barreled 357 magnum using 125 grain ammo.

I started carrying large guns, but moved to a 3.3 " barrel, 7/8" thick single stack. My back thanks me! Especially after 14-16 hours. For me, maximizing comfort is the goal. I won't tote a gun that is awkward uncomfortable and heavy. Ymmv.

Back