RateMyCop website has police on edge

"This site is currently unavailable.

If you are the owner of this site, please contact us at 1-480-505-8855 at your earliest convenience"

Sounds like someone had a "conversation" with the server owner.

I recently had a great experience with a cop pulling me over and giving me a warning (I had missed a car in my blind spot when changing lanes)

If only there was a site I could post my experience on. . .

While both are first amendment issues they're not necessarily connected. They can be willing to show raunchy commercials yet unwilling to disclose LEO information on their servers. It's not necessarily government pressure but could simply be the decision of the people who run the company.

Brings balance...

I think if cops are going to keep citizens under constant watch like they have all the power in the world, they need to be brought back to Earth and remember that they are NOT above the law, they are citizens just like everyone else. Needless to say, it's stupid that cops can carry nationally, but a citizen with a CCW can't.

Epyon

Again maybe I am in the minority here, but I think most of you are busting the balls of LEO for the actions of some who have power trip issues.

Back to the topic of the site, I think again that it's not "wrong" by definition to run this site, but I think its just a bad idea. Doesn't make them high and mighty at all, just gives them the protection they need from their info being out there.

I am not a LEO so I don't lock up BG's for rape, murder, extortion, etc. and to think that if I was and my info was out there would be kind of unnerving.

Overall, not wrong, but just in bad taste in my opinion.

I hit the site for about 45 minutes while it was up and running and didn't see anything onerous about it.

In fact, while perusing several California, Nevada and Arizona agencies, I found more positive comments than negative ones. One Nevada officer (Sparks IIRC) had 6 positive comments and one negative. In the south/southeast cops had more negative ratings, although one guy who was arrested actually praised the professionalism of the cop!

What I did not see was any personal information about the officers. The did not list the officer's duty-bureau or squad car number, nor a phone number or email address.

If the owners of the site claim they would remove any such personal data, even if posted by users, then I don't see much harm in such a site. It's not official, nor is it inherently "fair" to the cops since most folks are more likely to complain than compliment. At best, an officer might use it to see if he's ticking off too many motorists or citizens over trivial matters and adjust his style.

I think one thing that might have been discussed is if the site had lots of unofficial complaints about an officer who is later involved in a dept. lawsuit. Trial lawyers might attempt to show that supervisors in the agency "should have known" the officer was a loose cannon. Maybe that was the major concern of police brass.

I hope it stays up for a while this time. I need to put up something on the cop who helped me out when I had a tire go all to shreds on the highway the other day. I already had the tire operation in full swing, but having that cruiser back there with the spotlights and foglights and disco effects made it a lot less likely I would be squished by a sleepy trucker.

Nice guy, too. Friendly as hell and well-schooled in newfangled plastic lugnut covers.

"Stick that prybar in there and kick it":)

BoringAccountant

Again maybe I am in the minority here, but I think most of you are busting the balls of LEO for the actions of some who have power trip issues.

The that is all to common is that cops "protect their own" regardless of what they did. Those cops NEED their balls busted and brought back down to earth and told that they are not gods and there have to be real consequences for their deeds.

When a cop finally makes a really big newsworthy story, like that cop that dumped a quadriplegic man out of his wheelchair onto the ground, it generally surfaces that that cop had numerous other complaints of improper behavior, yet nothing was done.

"That website seems to have no information at all. They don't have a single cop listed for the whole Chicago area. The same goes for New Orleans. In fact there was not a single cop listed in any of the areas I clicked on.

How does a website completely lacking any information put cops in danger?"

The way I'm looking at it is that THEY don't post information on cops.

YOU post information on cops with whom you've had an interaction.

I question this site's accuracy. It appears that anyone can submit a comment regardless if they had contact with the police. For example, I was reviewing the Fairfax County, VA site and there is a user "johnjohnson" going through the names alphabetically and rating each one good. Comments are all: "good".

I question this site's accuracy. It appears that anyone can submit a comment regardless if they had contact with the police. For example, I was reviewing the Fairfax County, VA site and there is a user "johnjohnson" going through the names alphabetically and rating each one good. Comments are all: "good".

It's the internet, so it's accuracy should be questioned.

Every site has its spoilers, and every group has someone who will do anything to aid their "cause."

I think one thing that might have been discussed is if the site had lots of unofficial complaints about an officer who is later involved in a dept. lawsuit. Trial lawyers might attempt to show that supervisors in the agency "should have known" the officer was a loose cannon. Maybe that was the major concern of police brass.

Great point. Would this be permissible in court as evidence for prior incidents or character examples? Or would they subpeona the contributors to the website for testimony on what happened during their encounter with the LEO?

The that is all to common is that cops "protect their own" regardless of what they did. Those cops NEED their balls busted and brought back down to earth and told that they are not gods and there have to be real consequences for their deeds.

Agreed, its just that I think that ball busting should take place by the ones who are above them. From my local area there is a lot of morons running the show at the high levels that rarely ever reprimand a LEO for anything out of whack. If they did "constructively criticize" them (rather fire the dumba$$es that do not know what they are doing) then we would maybe see a difference.

There are ways for citizens to report bad/wrong/inappropriate behaviour just as there are ways to commend an officer on his performance, on an online forum just does not seem like the right way.

Well, thanks to the First Amendment, it can be done regardless of who agrees or does not agree that it's the "right way."

I fail to understand why knowing the names of police officers (with the exception of undercover officers) would be a bad thing.

There was a time when you could find departement photos in the lobby of police stations.

Do not some law enforcement agencies pass out "baseball" cards with their officers picture and short biography listed on it?

Can you not do a search on your local online newspapers and TV stations and come up with the names of many local LEOs?

Can you not review court records and find the names of many local LEOs?

Way too much paranoia.

Too late. National carry is already the law of the land. A police officer from a small town in Oregon on vacation in New York City can carry to protect his family, but I cannot.
All the more reason why I didn't support it.

Back