Quickdraw McSelf-Shooter

I agree with Ram. The heavy double action pull of the revolver adds to safety, especially if you pocket carry and are worried about it going off by bumping something,

How ever while shooting the revolver's heavy double action isn't that much of a hindrance.

I time my shots, getting six shots off as fast as I could to see the difference.

Model 64 1.53
Gold Cup 1.47
Beretta 92 1.42

You'll notice, with six shots the Revolver (M-64) is only .11 seconds slower, and that's with six rounds.

A younger guy with faster reflexes could probably do better then me.

Sir, with the up-most respect I will call the cook off more negligent than what is shown in the video. A firearm left unattended with a loaded chamber is something I always address in my Safety Classes.
I was a Firefighter for 21 years and a great majority of rural house fires had loaded firearms in them. We would asses where the barrel is thought to be pointing and keep that area clear of personnel.
After more than 30 years as an EMT I have seen a few accidental's and many negligent and many criminal discharges. I also believe Mr. Tex has every right to call his accident a negligent discharge if he so chooses. I would myself had this happened to me.
Have you reviewed the video with scrutiny? The manipulation of the safety when he was mistakenly trying to release the thumb drive release is not visible but the manipulation of the Surpa release is done with the trigger finger pointing downward with no curl towards the trigger and again because of the out of time release of the pistol, (Tex pulling his trousers up) the reflex was to increase his grip of the pistol.
Now I have never seen this man draw previously and maybe he has a tendency to finger the trigger before he should and if that's the case I will also say this is a Negligent Discharge. After all this is a Human, not a Machine. ;)

t doesn't work that way, slow or fast. There is a spot where you finger hits the release, then you slide the gun out of the holster, as you do that your finger has to leave the release slides along the holster like any other holster.

Under stress you may very well keep have your finger still applying pressure toward the holster as you draw due to no relaxing the finger (again under pressure of the situation) and as the handgun leaves the holster the finger, still pushing, goes inside the trigger guard and hits the trigger.

Yes, it can be overcome by training, but I suspect that was the problem to begin with.

Deaf

No such thing as an unloaded gun in firearms safety. There is "blue guns".

If a "blue gun" means a gun that is safe to perform non-live fire drills, then it's just another term for an unloaded gun.

If a "blue gun" means a gun that is safe to perform non-live fire drills, then it's just another term for an unloaded gun.

No a blue gun is just that, a blue gun, or a blue plastic gun that resembles a certain firearm. They're used for training so you don't have to use "unloaded" guns since and gun, whether you think it's unloaded or not, its treated as if it is loaded.

They're used for practice drawing, take aways, and retention.

It's not very smart to preach that all guns are loaded then turn around and use a real gun for such training.

Check out the video in the other post about "serpa's vs trigger fingers" to see what I talk about when I mention "blue guns".

bluegun.jpg

or red :)

redgun-1.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Guns and holsters used for training should have sensors and wireless connection to a PC that trainees are watching training software on. If they make a mistake the sensors should catch it immediately. Oops... caught my mind wandering again...

Oh.....those blue guns.....oops......nevermind, carry on.:o

Though, I don't think it's necessary to purchase a blue gun to practice drawing. Unload your weapon, use common sense, and practice away.

Back