quick follow-up in N.C.

I need to jump in on this thread also. Does anyone know of any Ranges around Angier/Lillington/Benson/Willow springs?. I have heard there is a range in Bunnlevel. Has anyone on here been to it? I really need to find a 50 or 100 yard range to do some shooting. I am so tired of shooting at 10 yards at targets placed on the ground:( at my girlfriend's parents house.

Last edited:
Great info bruce333 and obxned!!!!!!

I found a range that fits my needs quite well,, and it just happens to be less than 20 miles from my house!!!

It's this one.........

http://www.phashoots.com/

Not far from Winston,,, and really great place.. It's my new home....

I used to drive over an hour to get to Shooters in Statesville,, but now I don't need to.... I am going to miss that little cutie that runs the counter on weekends though...

Shooters is about 5 minutes drive from me. Normally I don't go to often since I have a private shooting range I do most my stuff on. Its just across the road from Allison's Wood however where I do quite a bit of telescoping too due to the lack of evil security lights in everybody yards that stay on all night.

I do wish Shooters had a longer rifle range which is pretty much most the stuff I do. Now if they went up to say 300 yards I would be there more often but land is really at a premium in this area right now so I don't see that happening.

Went to Sumter National Forrest this past weekend and tried to find the Leeds range but couldn't find it.:confused:
Anyone know anything about Leeds or Philson Crossroads range? Where they are and directions would help a lot.

:cool:

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd jump in....

We're just outside of Winston Salem, and are also members of Shooters in Statesville. I like that range as it's outdoor, and you are pretty much on your own, without someone looking over your shoulder like you have at some ranges. It is a bit of a drive though, but well worth it for a few hours of blasting!! I also like that you are not really restricted as to what you can shoot.

Grandview Indoor range, which used to be in Winston, is re-opening as Sportsmen's lodge, and then there is Piedmont Handgunners Association in Davidson county. I believe there is also an outdoor range in Rowan county, somewhere near Salisbury. I can't remember the name but it had something to do with "Rowan Wildlife something".... These ranges are somewhat expensive to join, I suppose with the intention of keeping out the "riff-raff" ;)

Sorry Bushwhacker. Just saw your post. Buckhorn Gun Club is 150 per year or 100 if you join after July 1, which I just did. Requires NRA membership also.

Shooters Sporting Club
PO Box 93
Turnerburg, NC 28688
(704) 546-5400
Mainly skeet shooting but have a 150 yard rifle range and pistol range
The outdoor pistol range is $8.00 per hour for non members.
Non members are not permitted to shoot on the rifle range.
tues-sat 10:00 AM - Dusk
Sun 1:00 PM - Dusk
closed monday
IM USMCSKI
For info on joining at his corporate rate of $100

You also have Windy Hill Trading Post in Elkin, NC which is pistol, rifle and skeet shooting.

Triad Gun Source just opened in Rural Hall also. They have a 5 or 6 indoor shooting range that is 23 yards i believe

I've been through all 3 pages of this thread and no one has mentioned MY club....Rowan County Wildlife Association. Just west of Salisbury...... Activities that are available to the public include, 6 skeet/trap fields, 5 stand and Sporting Clays down in the woods. Member benefits include 9 pistol bays, rifle range to 200 yards, archery range and a fishing pond...... What more could a guy ask for???? Pretty women?????? We have them also !!!!!!

PM me for more details if your interested..... Bill

Hello, I'm in Greensboro, NC, also looking for a nice outdoor rifle range.

So far I've shot at the Jefferson Forest range outside Blacksburg, VA--it's about 2 1/2 hours from Greensboro, a little closer to Winston-Salem. They have a 100 yrd rifle range with maybe a dozen benches and a shotgun area. It can get pretty crowded. Donations are requested, but no fee is required.

Also there's a range in Ellerbe, NC off NC-1424 at the John Lentz Hunter Education Complex. $5 for all day. They have archery, clays, pistol/shotgun range, but their rifle range is only 50 yrds. I spoke to a gentleman down there this past weekend, he said they're putting in a 200yrd range but he couldn't give me a time table on it.

Would be happy to find a 100yrd + range closer to home.

Here's a resource for finding ranges close to home--this page is for NC but it links to a national registry. I've found some information is out of date.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=NC

Archer's Gun Range on Archergate road. Go out Yancyville road past Lake Townsend. The first road to the left is Archergate road. There is a double wide mobile home about 1000 yards down the road with a nice dravel drive way beside it. It is privately owned and there is a waiting list most of the time. Nice range though.

Rockingham county gun club also has a nice range but you must have a sponsor to join. The range is near Reidsville.

I mostly shoot on my own land so I do not frequent public ranges very much.

If anyone is still interest in clubs around W-S:

Pinnacle
Yadkin Valley Sportsmans Club
Pinnacle NC. Right at the foot of Pilot Mt.
25' pistol pit
100'
200'

I was member yrs ago. Kind of a hike but worth the drive IIRC.

Best,

S-

Since all you NC guys are already in here, I'll be moving from Texas to Chapel Hill, NC in a week. What are some good stores for shooting and reloading in the area?

Back