Question on buying ammo

Learn to roll your own ...... buy components in bulk ....you won't save any money, but you'll shoot a lot more and learn much in the process!

Hard to beat Walmart for every day, off the shelf prices.

All of the above mentioned internet outlets are great, especially when they offer free shipping!

Of course after you wait for a Walmart associate to show up and open the ammo cabinet, it's probably faster to just order online!

Walmart for .22, .38 spl, 7.62x39, .32 acp, 9mm, .45 acp as well as 12g shotgun shells for trap IMO.

Wal-marts here are extremely poorly-stocked. If you have to go to a big box store (are unwilling or unable to shop for ammo online) Academy is a good source.

Wal-marts here are extremely poorly-stocked. If you have to go to a big box store (are unwilling or unable to shop for ammo online) Academy is a good source.

There isn't an Academy around me, but I like ordering from them when I need smaller quantities. They have a pretty low threshold for free shipping ($25), have a decent selection and I don't pay sales tax since there aren't any stores in my state.

Above sources are all great. I have not found any place that has the best prices AND availability all the time. If you want that, then you have to shop around. If you want just assured availability, then you need to accept generally higher prices.

Midway, Cabelas, Natchez, Mid-South, Wideners, PowderValley, Grafs are also sites I check.

Usually the ammo specific sites are much better than the generic firearms sites. Midway is routinely $100 over priced on any of the common bulk quantities. I routinely buy stuff from MidwayUSA, but never buy ammo from them.

Ammoseek.com is your best friend for finding which vendor has stuff for cheap. Selway Armory and SG Ammo are the 2 sites I prefer. They usually have a good selection and good prices.

Walmart for .22, .38 spl, 7.62x39, .32 acp, 9mm, .45 acp as well as 12g shotgun shells for trap IMO. I buy specialty stuff like black powder and ball ammo at my LGS. But, on a consistent basis it is tough to beat Walmart ammo pricing. Oh , from time to time a gun show might have a good buy.

9MM I agree with; but I can buy all of the others online for less, including 12 ga ammo and have it delivered to my door.

Target sports USA is what i tell everyone to check out.... for handgun ammo especially in bulk

Cabela's is usually what i check out for 223/556 ammo, my thoughts are anything under 7$ a box is a deal for 556, and for 223 if you can get under 6.50$ you are doing good too.... and if you have a mailer coupon that is a bonus..

Target sport is good, if you're looking for defensive ammo bone frog usually has good prices.

Can sometimes find deals at brownells with coupon.

Keep an eye over at gun.deals and /r/gundeals on reddit.

Check both those at least once a day and you won't miss to many sales.

As others said be prepared to buy in bulk say 1k rounds or more usually.. But good deals can be found online it's where I get most my ammo these days.

For .22 ammo, I've found that my local Cabela's is the best deal right now. Yesterday I picked up 1625 rounds of Federal CPHP for $86 including tax, or about 5.3 cents per round, and it came in a metal ammo box. 525 round boxes of Federal CPHP were on sale for $24.71 w tax a couple weeks ago, or 4.7 cents per round.

GrabAGun is currently running a flat shipping fee of $12.99 for as much ammo as you want to buy. Not a deal for just a couple 50 round boxes, but if you buy a bunch, it turns into a great deal. Ammo is heavy to ship, and I think you have to kick in for the hazardous material fee, too.

Also, I second GunBot.com

To be honest the only ammo I buy is 22LR. I load all my own CF ammo.

Never shopped at Dick's but they caved and dropped ARs after Sandy Hook and now they refuse to sell to adults under 21 so they suck and I will never give them one dime of business.

Walmart is known for having good prices but they are also now discriminating against young adults so they suck.

My local dedicated gun shops are higher priced than Walmart but they respect the Second Amendment and don't suck.

Ammo dealers are often found at local gun shows.

Online shopping is a possibility (if your state/city doesn't suck and ban online buying) but shipping costs can be a killer.

Some might recommend getting into reloading but that means finding bullets (getting hard for some reason) and buying powder and primers which are so costly these days there isn't anything to be saved if your time is worth more than $2 and hour.

Tough situation.

Ammoseek.com is supposed to find the best deal on ammo.

Find a load you and your gun likes, something that prints to point of aim with good ballistic gel performance, 100% reliability, and buy that in bulk. You always save money buying more of something at once.

You can store your ammo in ammo cans, with a bit of dessicant, for decades. One dessicant pack will do for your lifetime as long as you don't open the can. Shoot up older ammo in rotation. Store away as much as you can in these uncertain times.

Dick(head)'s and Walmart caves to people that will never buy a gun, so I have no desire to deal with them anymore either. Gun owners need to make their voices heard right now and counter the "guns are evil and we can trust the police to save us" slogans.

Last edited:
Back