Question? Getting FFL.

Yup. I've been an FFL for three years, HOME BASED. Storefront is a myth. You have to comply with local zoning ordinances. In my village there is no such thing as zoning. If I want to get my Type 10 FFL I can make missiles in the back yard if I felt like it.

Let me give you some advice about being an FFL that I've learned.

The ATF industry ops team are basically accountants. They are NOT trained how to fire a weapon and are not authorized to carry a firearm. The field agents carry guns. The industry ops don't.

The ATF cares about paperwork. They don't give a crap that I have machine guns and silencers because I have the proper paperwork. My company is an 07/02, all weapons are on the proper Form 2, and properly logged into my manufacturing log book. They are also locked up tight and out of view.

My clients (the very few local transfer clients) do not ever see where guns are stored and they never come close to the proximity of their storage facility. They walk into my office, their gun is laying out for inspection, we do paperwork, and I walk them out. They have no clue what I have, where it is, or even if it's stored on the premises. There are no signs on my home, I don't advertise locally, nothing. The only thing suspect that I'm running a home based business is UPS comes buy about 3-4 out of 5 days of the week, but the mailman comes by 6 days a week and that's normal too.

I will also advise you if you run home based, as soon as you can afford to go to another facility do it. It's nice not having to commute, etc and for my business model (internet sales and LE agency sales) I don't worry about walk in customers since my local customer base is either a few transfers a month or the two gun shows up here. Next year I'm moving out of the home and getting a separate business facility.

freakshow - When you move to a different location does your FFL go with you or do you have to go through the whole application process again?

I applied for my FFL about 3 weeks ago. I spoke to ATF about the home business and no issues were brought up. He told me because of holidays and the snow shutting down DC, it probably would take the full 60 days as they state.
Per the ATF website(which has lots of great info), there are only two places you can do business(location on license and at gun shows in your state). There is an exception for gunsmiths doing work at ranges.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting, thanks folks. I've been considering becoming an 01FFL with a business model of doing mainly after hours transfers and maybe ordering a few guns or cases of ammo for locals from forums or the range. This was spurred on after it took me two weeks to pick up a pistol I bought on gunbroker as the shop closed before I could get there after work, and the proprietor was gone the first Saturday. I think I could turn a modest profit, and the side benefit of getting dealer prices on guns and ammo for my personal use is a nice perk.

But dealer pricing from the large wholesalers is generally lower than retail offered to the general public, correct? So I could sell it to a range for less than what they would otherwise pay, while still making a profit.

"Dealer pricing" is a myth. A better term would be "volume pricing". Check prices at wholesalers and then check the price at Bud's. Bud's is often cheaper than my distributors. There is no set dealer discount- it is totally dependant on how many firearms you buy at a time or how many per month.

An 01FFL will get you a discount at many wholesalers. Understand that a retailer like Academy or WalMart will beat your discount everyday.

I'm an FFL and I cannot get Winchester, Federal or Remington ammo at a wholesale price for anywhere near the price that WalMart sells it at retail.

This is why you see WalMart ammo for sale at gunshows.

It can. You have to be very active and observant to see whats available that you could make some money on. We have a few things that are great sellers for us but it costs us a lot of up front investment to get the stock levels necessary to get a good discount.

This business is not going to make you rich, but that said provide a good service and be friendly to the customers, you will be surprised when they come to you rather then a big box because they feel like they matter.

If I get into the business it'll be as a side gig focused on doing transfers from people buying on gunbroker etc, so the low margin on ordering guns is less a concern...

Wow, this is a very imformative thread. I have often wondered about setting up a FFL for myself to buy cheaper and transfer guns for friends.

§ 478.47 Issuance of license.

Does anybody know how long it usually takes to receive the approved FFL?
I'm at 7 weeks and no ATF contact.

Interesting that para (b) says 'shall' and that para (c) says 60 days.

(b) The Chief, Federal Firearms Licensing Center, shall approve a properly executed application for license on ATF Form 7, ATF Form 7CR, or ATF Form 8 Part II, if:

(c) The Chief, Federal Firearms Licensing Center, shall approve or the Director of Industry Operations shall deny an application for a license within the 60-day period beginning on the date the properly executed application was received:

I had my "interview" two months after I sent in my app. The actual license arrived a month after that.

I recently moved....sent the "change of premises" form in the last week of December. The licensing center said it would take thirty days to update my license with the new address. It took over two months.

getting an ffl in ohio

This thread is an amazing wealth of info. I was wondering if anyone has info for a homebased ffl dealer(and perhaps gunsmithing) in Ohio?

There's an older gentlemen in my town(village actually) that somewhat deals from home. He is getting up there in age. I just kind of want to "take over". I am in preble county in Ohio. I am just now starting my reasearch on getting an ffl. Thnx for your time.

"durham937"

That what I'm going thru in AZ. I applied 9 weeks ago and had my ATF onsite face to face today for 2 hrs and 15 min. Very detailed.

I had to get an OK from my county for a home-business, since I don't live in a city. ATF required that, but an e-mail approval was ok, since co seat is 50 miles away.

ATF agent said I should have my license in about 3 weeks.
I applied for a 'manufacturer of firearms', but process-wise it's about the same. She gave me my FFL #, but cannot use until I get paperwork back.

Hope this helps,

I did not read all posts.

As to the allowability of 'in the home'?? I do recall reading that wherever you decide to do this is subject to inspection at the will of the inspector!!
That would include the WHOLE house if in the home..

So, i have applied for my FFL, waiting on the inspector to contact me. I am starting a home based FFL business, mostly to get experience and may open a store at some point. My question for those of you with experience as FFLs is: how do you get your guns? I read the post about Bud's and wholesalers. are wholesalers easy to work with. Does everyone charge a fee for Credit card use? You cannot really get this info from the web without an FFL number first.
Thanks

@slab11
I'm kinda surprized nobody replied to your question.

I'll give it a shot:
I received my FFL-07 about two weeks ago. I scanned it and saved as .pdf. I knew companies I wanted to work with as a dealer, so I started contacting them. I emailed them my FFL 'onfile' then asked for dealer info. I've started to receive a lot of that info. Some want you to fill out an application and fax/e-mail back, others want some business license also. Some venders with online stoles for their dealers WILL NOT allow a home based FFL to have one of their online stores. I was surprized at the dealer discounts...nice. Some give another discount if you buy $1-2k at a time. I also provided my 'FFL on file' to gunbroker.com and registered to do xfers. I received my 1st call about 2 days later for a xfer.
Hope this helps, PM for more info.

Back