Quality currently made DA revolver brand

He can have all the guns he wants and be as much of a snob as he wants. When recommending a gun for someone else one must consider the real world use and the real world price. Like I said, $6000 for a gun you are going to use and abuse is just not "real world" in my opinion.

If you looked into it as was suggested, you would know that BAC is a serious collector who is quite knowledgeable. He shares the good fortune of his collection and what he learns about his acquisitions in a very generous way, and I for one appreciate it.

I pointed out earlier that the OP had himself included Korth revolvers as being among those that interested him. He did not say anything about intending to abuse whatever revolver he acquired. He inquired about high-end revolvers, not beaters, and some of the replies, including BAC's, addressed that inquiry from experience. A nice resource for this forum, methinks.

I own a couple modern S&W and feel as if the fit and finish is a notch above Ruger.
I'll agree if you're only talking appearance, if you include functional fit and finish Ruger is equal or better IMHO. I've owned quite a few of both brands and am still waiting to send a Ruger cause it wouldn't work properly. I've had to send three Smith's to the mothership.

Rugers are garbage?

Now granted they aren't perfect all of them, but they aren't candy asses. No more issue with rugers revolvers than colts or smiths and have never had one of them not go bang. Which I have had with colts.

Yes and anyone polishing a ruger already has a hobby

Last edited:
The fit and finish gap that used to exist between Ruger and Smith & Wesson no longer exists. If you want a high quality Smith you need to look at older guns. Why do people limit themselves to new guns?

He can have all the guns he wants and be as much of a snob as he wants.
Snobbery works both ways. Be careful you don't become the type that looks down on people who own things you cannot afford.

When recommending a gun for someone else one must consider the real world use and the real world price.
Since the OP mentioned Korth specifically your comment is unjustified.

Like I said, $6000 for a gun you are going to use and abuse is just not "real world" in my opinion.
I know lots of working stiffs who pay thousands of dollars on custom revolvers that get "used".

When I bought the Vaquero (used) it still had Ruger's Pebbley casting finish so it was not factory polished.
All Vaqueros and New Vaqueros are factory polished in a tumbler.

My point is that Ruger's use of investment casting versus machined forged blanks and other manufacturing processes do not lend themselves to perfection.
One has nothing to do with the other. A raw casting looks very much like a raw forging. The difference is that Ruger cuts corners in the finish department to save money for the end user. Always been that way.

The castings are distorted.
The castings are not distorted. The external surfaces are simply not blueprinted and hand finished. You want that, you'll have to buy a Freedom Arms, USFA, Korth, Mannurhin or a custom. It's fairly routine for custom builders like Dustin Linebaugh, Hamilton Bowen, Alan Harton, etc., to hand finish a Ruger's frame and deck the grip frame so the grips fit evenly.

About 2006 I bought a Single Shot 12 ga Shotgun at the time it cost me a little over $16,000 . I have sold the gun but really did use it enjoy it and shot the hell out of it . Worth every cent .

ShootistPRS,

you are as much entitled to your opinion as Brian (bac1023) and I are but you are not entitled to make up your own "facts". Metallurgy in the Korth and Manurhin revolver is far superior than in any S&W or Ruger. You can also leave the decision what we do with our money to us.

Brian just answered the OP's question about the best (double action) revolvers currently made - and did so from his experience as a collector who owns/has owned and shot hundreds of handguns and is the moderator in a dedicated 1911 forum. I own and shoot S&W, Rugers, Colts, and Korth revolvers and agree with Brian on his answer.

Assuming that people who own expensive guns do not shoot them, or are poor shots is typical for jealous little people. I excelled in ISSF handgun competitions and shot military rifle and handgun matches on state level for many years, I shoot one of my Korths every week, cast my own bullets and reload myself. The reason I can afford 15 Korth revolvers is probably that I like to excel at everything, not just my hobby but even in my job.

Last edited:
If you're looking for the real Rolls Royce you have to look at Janz too. I dry fired them at this years SHOT show and they are incredible. Totally unreal.
I also dry fired at SHOT show the new Korth/Nighthawk guns. They're very nice. Not near as nice as a traditional Korth. Appear to be better than a S&W PC gun, including the trigger. So much better as to justify the price? I would say no imho.
I own the New Dan Wesson. It's fantastic. Better than Ruger (of which I own several) and better than most stock S&W guns (which I also own). On par with a PC gun (which I also own).
Having all of these what is the best for your question right now? Limited to higher end revolvers, probably a S&W PC gun. The new 586 classic PC would be a Best Buy imho.

My only issue with the Janz or Korth revolvers is that they are very German. They are precision instruments and beautifully made but they're very cold, more like a sterile instrument. Utterly lacking the heart & soul that oozes from a Triple Lock, Registered Magnum or Colt Shooting Master. Or a finely crafted custom Ruger for that matter. They don't look how I want a $5000+ revolver to look. Which is interesting because German double rifles and shotguns are lovely, with every bit the style you get from best grade British guns.

It's the same with their cars. German cars are wonderfully engineered but they just don't have the panache you get from Ferrari or Aston Martin.

jackmoser65,

the Korth revolvers that were still made in Ratzeburg have much more charisma than the Korth / Nighthawk CNC produced guns. In Ratzeburg the guns were largely made by hand from forgings. While this gives the guns character, the downside is that grips do not interchange without fitting, even rear sights and front sights need individual fitting.

image_zps1hw8gq9z.jpeg

I also like East German shotguns made by Merkel/Simson, being hand engraved makes them all a little different.

pPHnNl4l.jpg

I agree with you completely that used guns shouldn't be overlooked when one is interested in quality firearms, guns that precede the CNC era will have personality and quality that is more and more unaffordable at current salaries. I have quite a few S&W pre-lock and older Ruger revolvers were I also prefer the older manufacturing dates.

Nevertheless, the current production Korth and Manurhin revolvers can be considered to be the best production DA revolvers available nowadays but like in a Ferrari, you will pay a lot of money for a little bit of high end.

The latest Smiths are very good and VERY accurate. I cannot speak to the new Dan Wessons but the older ones are legendary for their accuracy. I have Ruger revolvers as well, strong but the Smiths and Dan Wessons I have I believe have an accuracy edge. As others have mentioned Freedom Arms are precision instruments but they are single action.

FWIW, bac1023 has one of the best--if not THE best collections of top end handguns of anyone who posts on The Firing Line so that should be kept in mind when reading one of his posts. YMMV

the Korth revolvers that were still made in Ratzeburg have much more charisma than the Korth / Nighthawk CNC produced guns. In Ratzeburg the guns were largely made by hand from forgings. While this gives the guns character, the downside is that grips do not interchange without fitting, even rear sights and front sights need individual fitting.
I wasn't even thinking about the Nighthawk guns. I know they are very finely made. I have no doubt of their quality and I don't question the asking price but like the two you pictured, they just don't appeal to me aesthetically.

The Merkel guns are quite different. I have two and am considering another. Nowhere near as fine as a Holland & Holland or Westley Richards but a great substitute for those who don't want to spend $50,000 on one.

Last edited:
Back