Quality currently made DA revolver brand

Rugers are the only revolver I have seen with special loads that exceed SAAMI standard pressures and listed with them is the Contender. I've had my Ruger (and used it hard) for 45 years shooting over 10,000 rounds a year for the three years I competed in Hunter's Pistol Silhouette. It easily has over 50,000 hot rounds through it and it will still shoot 1" groups at 25 yards. I have seen no other pistol that will stand up to what my Ruger has.

Check out Korth, Manurhin, or Freedom Arms.

The difference is they are also extremely refined.

The OP is looking for DA revolvers. Freedom Arms sells single actions only.
As to the Korth revolvers, well I'll just say that any revolver that still uses a side plate is 19th century technology. It may well be the most refined gun in the world but it lacks the strength of a full frame.It has the same weakness as the Colt and S&W and their clones. For the same dollars you could have a S&W polished and tuned to perfection too but it is still a basic design that dates back to the 1890s. When you cut half the frame away to install the action parts and then cover the cut out area with a plate screwed in place you still have a weaker frame than the Ruger.

My uninformed opinion but I would put my Ruger up against any revolver of similar size shooting the same loads I have been using for 40 years and see how long they last.

Rugers are crude at best, but yeah, uninformed opinions are always great.

I'd put the strength of Korth and Manurhin up against any Ruger. Have you done any research on them whatsoever?

If not (and it sure sounds like it), I would highly suggest you do. Better yet, get some experience under your belt with them first.

I just handled and shot a new s&w performance center 686. it was perfect. very well made, accurate. 1 inch groups at 15 yards from a 62 year young shooter. I also have shoot a airweight with the performance center tune up.
...so it seems the performance center option gives you the quality all their guns should have normally. fwiw, bobn

Bac,
For a $6000 starting price for the base model "combat revolver" in 6 inch (5.875") barrel A person could buy 5 Rugers and spend another $600 to have them tuned to be as "refined" as you could ask for. For a person looking for a quality hand gun that will live in rough service for a lifetime I would never recommend a $6000 gun. Especially when the test results I have seen say things like:
I found the trigger to be harder than I would have expected in double action. Oh, it is completely adjustable, but since it wasn’t mine I wasn’t going to mess with it.
(from Guns.com)

I don't feel that a person should have to finance a gun purchase and unless you have more money than common sense it seems absurd to spend that or more for a serviceable revolver.

Do you own one of these guns or are you just a fan of over priced gear?

:D This is about to get good. Going out for some popcorn and I'll check back in later.

The OP specifically said that he wasn't looking for a bargain, and he brought up Korth as a possibility himself.

I have a good number of Smiths and several Rugers. They are great for their intended purpose.
Neither are even in the same ball park as a Korth.

ShootistPRS, you might want to do a search on this forum for bac1023 before you make assumptions about what handguns he may or may not have first hand knowledge about......just sayin'

Mike,
He can have all the guns he wants and be as much of a snob as he wants. When recommending a gun for someone else one must consider the real world use and the real world price. Like I said, $6000 for a gun you are going to use and abuse is just not "real world" in my opinion.

There are folks who spend $60,000 on a double rifle too but you won't see those rifles recommended to a guy who wants a hunting rifle for local white tails.

No need to argue over what is and isn't over priced or flair price. Just a friendly discusuon. I have nothing against Ruger. I think they are a fantastic bargain at their price point and I own a few of their semi. I own a couple modern S&W and feel as if the fit and finish is a notch above Ruger. I would like to own a Kurth or Manhurin to see what it's all about. With the number of handguns I own it's pretty unlikely that I will ever wear one out. I simply don't have enough time to shoot that much.
Price is relative to all off us. Some would never buy a new pickup because they are over priced, some would run out and buy a Bentley today.

BooieMan,
I apologize if I came across as arguing the price as unjust. It isn't necessarily too much to pay for the gun any more than the price one must pay for a Rolls Royce. The point I was trying to make is that just as one would not recommend the Rolls as a first car recommending a $6000 revolver is just a tad over the top.
If anyone owns a Korth and wants to prove its strength, I am willing to put my 45 year old Ruger up against it with the following load:

Sierra 140 JHP
19.1 grains of H110
CCI 550 primer
heavy crimp

I put 30,000 of these in three years. (practice and competition for Hunter's Pistol Silhouette)
My Ruger has never seen a gunsmith for tuning.
It still shoots 1" groups at 25 yards.
I watched 1 S&W get scrapped in the second year of competition because the side plate would no longer fit. It was replaced with a TC Contender and a custom modified Burris 6x scope. The two other S&W pistols used were tuned up multiple times in the three years and they used lighter loads than my 357.

I think S&W revolvers are great guns especially for light use. They are in no way stronger than a Ruger of the same size and the have more parts failures to prove it. Back in those days it was popular to carry a couple of firing pins in your range box along with a punch and mallet to change out the broken pin. Competition guns used light loads and were kept in tune throughout the year. I know this because I was close to a cop who competed for the force and he was the armorer at the range. He was also one of the few cops I knew that could shoot better groups than I could. The S&W revolvers have a much smoother and lighter double action pull and they have built a reputation on that. The Ruger is a super duty revolver that needs a stronger spring to transfer the hammer impact through a transfer bar to provide reliable ignition but the trigger can be smoothed (mine has become smoother with age) by a good polishing. The new Ruger GP100s are smoother out of the box but can still be improved. Without purposely over-charging reloads well beyond the specs you simply will never hurt a Ruger.

Umm errr

The original poster asked to be pointed towards QUALITY double action revolvers.

All the revolvers I own are Rugers. While I like their ruggedness, I'm not a fan of their distorted cylinder frames. I have a SS Vaquero for which I would love to flatten out the sides with files but It would remove part of the serial number. It's that bad.

Some folks just demand more.

For example:

Last edited:
Well, that is a first for me. I have never seen a distorted frame on a Ruger. I would think with all the abuse mine has had it would show damage if it was going to happen. How does your gun with the distorted frame fire?

No, not distorted from use. The castings are distorted. see my example above. That is basically a safe queen. Caution...do not polish Ruger frames. I can photograph this so that the distortion doesn't show, this one slipped by, :)

I have a Security Sis that has dips in the frame on both sides, just below the cylinder window. Those sides should be dead flat.

Last edited:
arquebus357 said: No, not distorted from use. The castings are distorted. see my example above. That is basically a safe queen. Caution...do not polish Ruger frames.

I have a Security Sis that has dips in the frame on both sides, just below the cylinder window. Those sides should be dead flat.

That is very strange. My Security-Six and Speed-Six are radiused on the left side so the cylinder will swing down and the right side is flat with the name and logo on it. Below that point on both sides it meets the trigger/action assembly that is a close machine fit.
I wonder if you are contouring when you polish.

I did not use any machinery for polishing the Vaquero. Strictly used 2000 grit wet/dry paper and metal polish. I realized the distortion when I tried to employ a sanding block and it would only hit the high spots.

The security six is blued. I did hand polish with 400 grit paper prior to rust bluing. I did very little sanding as all old bluing was first removed by bathing in Evapo-Rust. The distortion is not apparent because the rust bluing finish is more of a satin. The trigger guard also follows the same dip on each side. It's like the sides were ground poorly with the trigger guard in place. Yet the rolled on Ruger script is perfectly even in depth. I will try to take a photo with a straight edge placed on the area if you are really interested.

No, not distorted from use. The castings are distorted. see my example above. That is basically a safe queen. Caution...do not polish Ruger frames. I can photograph this so that the distortion doesn't show, this one slipped by,

That's not from casting.
It's from polishing. (By Ruger, if not by you.)

If you do have such a low opinion of Ruger revolvers, why did you waste your time taking some of their 'garbage' to 2000-grit?

Mike,
He can have all the guns he wants and be as much of a snob as he wants. When recommending a gun for someone else one must consider the real world use and the real world price. Like I said, $6000 for a gun you are going to use and abuse is just not "real world" in my opinion.

There are folks who spend $60,000 on a double rifle too but you won't see those rifles recommended to a guy who wants a hunting rifle for local white tails.

You make a hell of a lot of assumptions on guns you know nothing about.

I don't feel that a person should have to finance a gun purchase and unless you have more money than common sense it seems absurd to spend that or more for a serviceable revolver.

-CENSORED-

How EXACTLY is it "overpriced" when you know nothing about it?

Yeah, its best you stick to Rugers...

I've got plenty of Rugers too, if that makes any difference.

"That's not from casting.
It's from polishing. (By Ruger, if not by you.)

If you do have such a low opinion of Ruger revolvers, why did you waste your time taking some of their 'garbage' to 2000-grit? "
When I bought the Vaquero (used) it still had Ruger's Pebbley casting finish so it was not factory polished.

I don't have a low opinion of Rugers. I treasure the few that I have as you should be able to see. My point is that Ruger's use of investment casting versus machined forged blanks and other manufacturing processes do not lend themselves to perfection.

Last edited:
Back