Quality currently made DA revolver brand

BoogieMan

Wondering whats out there that im not aware of. Only interested in high quality, no bargain brands.
Korth & S&W are the only 2 I am aware of at this time, big gap between the two brands. Then another slight drop down to Ruger. I suppose Kimber can now fit in there someplace. But, they only offer one model and its new to the market. Colt is no longer made. What else is out there in quality DA revolver brands that are still in business?

If you are serious about a top quality revolver look no further that the French made Manurhin. They are the very best.

No....I don't own one :):)

If you are serious about a top quality revolver look no further that the French made Manurhin. They are the very best.
Nice looking gun. 1st I have heard of this brand. The few I found forsale on GB appear to be very well loved.

Your list is complete in my view ...but I'm a little suspicious of the new Korth that bears the Nighthawk name on it as the importer...vs the older Korth which are very good guns. But I have not fired the new Korths either...

I agree its a slight or a little bigger drop to Ruger...and Kimber, in my view, is a significant drop below Ruger.

Colt is being made again...first entry is in .38 spl but there are not many of them around yet / and too soon to tell whether its a top end gun or not.

Then there are the lower end models.....Taurus, etc...in my view..

Korth and Manhurin would be at the top of the heap, but basically unobtainable unless you've got a couple of grand to spend.

Then there's S&W and Ruger. I'd guess the quality is more variable from gun to gun between the two rather than one being company being substantially better than the other. They both have a full line of offerings from small to X-large.

Then Kimber and soon to be Colt will both have small 6 shot revolvers. The Colt is being made as we speak but it'll be another month before it's on store shelves and might be awhile before it's easily obtainable.

Dan Wesson was producing a new full size .357 not too long a go but that might have fallen by the wayside. That'd be a shame as those were supposed to be good quality.

I believe the Chiapa Rhino is still being made and I've heard of owners that claim it to be a quality gun, but I've also heard it was junk... I have no direct experience with it.

Yes, CZ still shows one model of a Dan Wesson revolver ...in what their catalog says is Limited Production ...not really sure what that means...

I have fired some of the older versions - and I would put them at a level a little below Ruger....

^^^^

For practical reasons, I completely agree.

Many of the Manurhin revolvers are French police turn-ins so I would rather have a new Ruger or S&W and I wouldn't give a crap about the S&W lock.

Are you looking for a shooter or something the admire and fondle? For a shooter, I don't know how you could do better than with a good Smith or Ruger in your favorite caliber, barrel length and send it off to a top revolver smith to lighten and smooth the trigger and customize so the sights are perfect for your eyes, trigger is radiused, etc. Hard to beat that end result in actual performance.

There have been some serious problems reported with the Rhinos, plus the guns are very scarce. Unless a buyer simply wants something different, S&W or Ruger should fill any reasonable DA revolver need.

Jim

Interesting...

I'd have to say Korth, Freedom Arms, and Manurhin

I'm not sure Korth and Manurhin are what they use to be, but they're still building very high quality revolvers. I don't think anything else made today really compares to these three.

Like many of the other posters, I wouldn't include S&W in the "premium" category.

They're just as "bargain-class" as Ruger; but their historic reputation lives on and boosts their modern status (inexplicably, given the mediocre chaff they kick out :rolleyes:).

I'd agree with Korth, Freedom Arms, and Manurhin.
...But one of them only makes single-action firearms.

Rugers are the only revolver I have seen with special loads that exceed SAAMI standard pressures and listed with them is the Contender. I've had my Ruger (and used it hard) for 45 years shooting over 10,000 rounds a year for the three years I competed in Hunter's Pistol Silhouette. It easily has over 50,000 hot rounds through it and it will still shoot 1" groups at 25 yards. I have seen no other pistol that will stand up to what my Ruger has.

Back