Purchasing a shotgun out of state

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDforever

I am a Texas resident with a Texas issued CHL. I find myself in Iowa from now until mid October.

I know I cannot purchase and take possession of a handgun while here. What about a shotgun? Do long guns have the same restrictions?

Joe

I believe the contiguous state rule (under federal law) was repealed quite some time ago.

At the federal level, long guns may be purchased by an out-of-state resident, provided that the sale and possession of same complies with the requirements of both states, and if the transfer is done face-to-face at the FFL's place of business.
Congress said:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver-- . . .

(2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

18 U.S.C.A. § 922 (West)
As noted above, state laws vary.

Living in CA we haven't been able to buy in either NV or AZ probably the same for OR. Now I can have one shipped to a FFL holder here and do the paper work etc. That does raise the cost a bit (lot) in some cases.

When did that change TomADC? When I used to live on the Reno area, we had a HUGE gun show and lots of folks from CA came over to buy long guns (and ammo, jerky, and assorted stuff)

OP - as long as you are not prohibited by your state law (and I doubt in TX that is the case), you are GTG.

NV may have changed but not AZ haven't tried NV in a while but do get into AZ few times a year and no go, was told per request from CA.

You can buy one there, but you must have it shipped to a California FFL for DROS and delivery. Federal law requires that you adhere to the laws of both states. Other state FFLs aren't able to do the California requirements concerning DROS.

The receiving FFL can charge whatever he wants as a processing fee.

A major reason the wife and I are looking at AZ for a move, NV is also on the table.

Reno/Carson City/Gardnerville is nice; several places (besides all the BLM land) to shoot, no state income tax, and some decent hunting as well.

Thanks guys. I am going to pursue purchasing a shotgun here in Iowa later this summer. I will relay the info and picts should I be successful in the purchase, or will relay the denial.

Joe

XDforever I am a Texas resident with a Texas issued CHL. I find myself in Iowa from now until mid October.

I know I cannot purchase and take possession of a handgun while here. What about a shotgun? Do long guns have the same restrictions?
For the purposes of acquiring firearms ATF considers you a resident of the state where you reside......and you may actually be considered a resident of Iowa.

Read this:https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download

A college student for example, may be a resident of Oklahoma while attending school in Oklahoma, yet a resident of Texas when he returns home for the summer.

I went to Bass Pro in Altoona, IA today to check it out. I found a Weatherby PA-459 in 20 ga for $399. I am not a shotgun guy so I do not know if this is a good price or not. I had the salesperson look it up and Texas is on the "OK" list for purchasing. I could purchase the gun and leave with it provided the ATF doesn't have me on a "list".

I want a 20 gauge because I feel as a 62 year old, I do not feel that I will be able to handle the recoil of a 12 gauge. The Weatherby looked pretty good. It held 5+1 and could shoot both 2.75 and 3" shells. It had the synthetic furniture with a skulls camo pattern. Ghost ring rear sight and I don't remember what the front sight looked like. It felt good in my hands. It was a pistol grip type shotgun. I think it was a Reaper or some such.

I will keep looking, but it made an impression on me.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

want a 20 gauge because I feel as a 62 year old, I do not feel that I will be able to handle the recoil of a 12 gauge. The Weatherby looked pretty good. It held 5+1 and could shoot both 2.75 and 3" shells. It had the synthetic furniture with a skulls camo pattern. Ghost ring rear sight and I don't remember what the front sight looked like. It felt good in my hands. It was a pistol grip type shotgun. I think it was a Reaper or some such.

I'm not that far behind you and I shoot a 12 gauge Beretta gas gun. It handles my 3/4oz reloads (which re 28 gauge level) Just something to consider as a 20 can weigh less than a 12 and sometimes actually have more recoil as a result.

When you say pistol grip, are you talking about a regular stock with a pistol grip, like an AR style, or do you mean only a pistol grip as in PGO?

When you say pistol grip, are you talking about a regular stock with a pistol grip, like an AR style, or do you mean only a pistol grip as in PGO?

Sorry, it had a full stock with a pistol grip.

Joe

If recoil is your issue...looking at a gas gun / semi auto makes a lot of sense.

( I'm older than you are ...and even with a rebuilt shoulder - on my shooting side / managing recoil is more about making sure the gun fits you properly ) vs 20ga over a 12ga / and FITASC is right, a heavier gun ( even one lb heavier will reduce recoil for a given shell about 20%).

Beretta, Browning, etc are making a lot of very good gas guns these days....over any fixed breech gun like a pump or an Over Under if you're recoil sensitive.

State laws vary. I know you can purchase a long gun in a contiguous state except for places like CA and NY.

This must be something new. I live in NY and I've bought shotguns in PA before. What's your source of info? I'd like to check it out.

Beretta, Browning, etc are making a lot of very good gas guns these days....over any fixed breech gun like a pump or an Over Under if you're recoil sensitive.

Thanks Big Jim. I am now leaning towards a semi auto shotgun. Perhaps even in 12 gauge. It is amazing how much cheaper the 12 gauge shells are over 20 gauge.

The problem with semi autos is that they seem to have reliability problems. The Mossberg 935 is such an example. Great looking gun, but all over the internet are reports about not ejecting shells, not doing well with 2.75" shells, etc.

I guess I want the holy grail on the cheap. I do not want to spend a thousand dollars on a good quality shotgun.

Joe

For the purposes of acquiring firearms ATF considers you a resident of the state where you reside......and you may actually be considered a resident of Iowa.

Read this:https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download

A college student for example, may be a resident of Oklahoma while attending school in Oklahoma, yet a resident of Texas when he returns home for the summer.

Hmmm.........I read that there must be the intent to make this my residence. My RV is mobile, and I am working at a seasonal amusement park that closes at the end of September. Somehow, I don't think the ATF will view me as a resident of Iowa.

However, it is not necessary as I have discovered that I can indeed purchase a shotgun in Iowa. Now I just need to find the right one.

Joe

Sure, I understand...we all have budgets...

I agree the Mossberg does not have a good reputation...but the Browning Silver Hunter model does...and list its only $ 1,200 -- and in my area they're selling new in box for around $1,000.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/silver/current-production/silver-hunter.html
-----------
If you have a buddy that is more into shotguns than you are ...maybe ask them to help you out on picking up a decent used shotgun.../ and sometimes there are some older models out there, still new in box ...like the 12ga Browning Gold series..( they're available in 10ga only now )...but they made them in a 12ga for quite awhile. Periodically I'll see one at a gunshow especially..unfired new in box... for around $ 800....
-----------
Many reliability issues on shotguns....semi-auto or pumps ...can be related to ammo issues ( guys shoot the cheapest junk they can find ...and sometimes the hulls are not sized properly ) ... but maintenance is an issue too --- keep them clean and properly lubed and most gas operated semi-autos ( at least from Beretta and Browning ) will easily run 200,000 shells without an issue - and probably longer.

FN - owns Browning and Winchester now ( has for several yrs) - and it looks to me like Browning people are running the shotgun division / with Winchester options having many Browning parts in them including the chokes. You might look at Winchester options as well ...they are usually a little cheaper than the Browning branded guns.

Beretta is not my favorite...but its a fit issue for me / not the guns. Beretta probably offers over 30 semi-auto models...many in field grade that will handle 3" shells ( so they shoot 2 3/4" and 3" )...

I don't think you'll find any reliability issues with a Browning - Winchester or Beretta semi-auto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back