Pulled the trigger on a Mosin 91/30...

Certainly not trying to "scare" anyone...
But, I don't see a problem with communicating that there's a world of difference between a .22 rimfire, and the 7.62 x 54R, which is one of the more powerful centerfire cartridges. I've seen the aftermath of an M1A "kaboom" at the range and it wasn't pretty.

There's admittedly a large number of guys (or gals) out there that purchase a 100 year old rifle- know absolutely nothing about it- and load 'er up and fire it.

It's up to the shooter as to how much risk he wants to take, and how he chooses to manage it. Sure, you can tie a string to the trigger and stand back...I'd rather just spend the $30 on a headspace gauge and ascertain the condition of the chamber. IMO, that's the minimal level of prudence. There's a large school of thought that would advise a gunsmith to go through it...

With all respect Tobnpr, the Mosin is a strong and safe action, excessive headspace is the least of your worries in a rifle that is good at preventing gas burns

@OP,

Don't worry, just make sure you know the signs of excessive headspace, know how to clean corrosive ammo (Gunslick works very well, saves the rifling and your arm as well), and a good idea is to bring some icy hot.

The M-N's were made for peasants to use. People who didn't know to wipe the cattle crap off their shoes when entering a home, so to speak. It is and was made to be a very strong rifle to be used by soldiers who never before shot a gun or knew how to care for a gun. As long as you use factory ammo, mil-surp ammo, or stay within the loading guides, you will have no problems with it.
Just watch the cleaning after using corrosive ammo and you will be fine. Even the corrosive stuff will not affect it when you clean it.

One thing you might notice with milsurps is that the Ruskies tended to counter-bore from the muzzle if a rifle got worn. It does not affect the accuracy any, just one of those idiosyncrasies of the gun.

So don't be afraid of it, have fun. You'll know you shot it once you shoot it, as it does have a lot of recoil (less weight out front).

The only drawback, as some has said, is that once you buy one, you'll want to buy more. There is the Model 38, the Model 91, the Model 44, the Model 59, the Finish series of guns, hex receivers, laminated stocks, etc... Oh yeah, if you get the 'bug', you will know it.

And there is no cure. ;)

The Doc is out now. :cool:

MN 91/30 round, MN 91/30 hex, MN 91/30 Laminate, MN38, MN-44, Finn M39. I might have forgot one, I can't remember.

hey I just got a mosin as well,i cleaned her off for an hour and
plan to shoot her this week.......

Where can I get a buttpad,that metal plate looks painfull :rolleyes:

Where can I get a buttpad,that metal plate looks painfull

Just go for it!!! Don't be a Mosinwussy!!! Those black and blue Badges of Honor are well earned. For a real thrill, when they fade away get a Styer M95, and some of that old Nazi made 8X56 R ammo. Now, that's painful!!!

BTW, was at the range today. Shot about 10 mrounds each in my 91/59, 91/30 Ishy, Hungarin M44, and 30 rounds through my Romanina PSL. No rubber pads, and NO BRUSES!!! Ya just gotta learn how to hold 'em!:D

Ya just gotta learn how to hold 'em!

That's what I was thinking - pull them in hard against your shoulder and there's no impact and no bruising. At the range I see shooters holding the rifle loosely or even away from the shoulder. <Bang!><THUD!><Ouch...>

Just another one welcoming you to both the forum and the wonderful world of the 91/30. This is the first rifle that got me back into firearms since I ETS'ed from the army back in '84. I've been pumping between 60 and 100 rounds a week down range since March and have had zero problem. I will say, however, the trigger pull is a bit rough on mine when compared to a more modern rifle.

Enjoy!

Well, I have 880 milsurp rounds on the way for the Mosin (should be here tomorrow), and am looking forward to shooting it. I imagine I'll be fatigued enough after 50 to 100 rounds. Now I'm being told I can "borrow" my dad's SMLE Mark III. Can you say "borrow indefinitely?" I'm excited about that, but the .303 British rounds for that seem to be extremely expensive. Like $1.00 per round expensive. Still, it's supposed to be a fantastic rifle. It seems as though I'm getting into the milsurps quickly (not my original plan).
I am 44 years old, but I feel like a kid.:D

Remember that the surplus ammo in those tins is corrosive. Flush your barrel and bolt thoroughly with hot water immediately after you're done shooting, then go about your normal cleaning routine.

For your SMLE, recommend Prvi's 174gr FMJ. It's the closest you'll get to the Mark VII ball ammo in a commercial load, and the brass is good for reloading. The remaining surplus .303 isn't worth the bother - corrosive, old, and unreliable.

The SMLE is a great rifle to shoot. If you don't have hot water at the shoot site, use windex, spray the breach, bolt face, and down the barrel, then clean it then and there. At home, repeat, with scalding water. I just put the kettle on and pour from the spout.

As mentioned above, the .303 surplus out there is pretty much junk, all is corrosive and not worth the trouble. That Serbian Prvi is excellent, going for about $16 here. Try www.ammoengine.com to search out deals, and look for a reloading buddy, buy the dies and brass, make your own for about $0.40 first load, less each case re-use. You should get about 8 loads out of one case, more if you drop the load a couple of grains.

pads are for women and panzies dont wuss out and get a butt pad. my m14 kicks harder then a mosin or a 1903 and ill put around 100 rounds down range with no but pad and not think twice. Be proud of the black and blue badge of honor. Hold the rifle but firm into the hollow spot of your shoulder, don't be scared of it. It you hold it tight enough you'll only feel a push no a kick.

Remember that the surplus ammo in those tins is corrosive. Flush your barrel and bolt thoroughly with hot water immediately after you're done shooting, then go about your normal cleaning routine.

I carry a plastic bottle of a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water in my shooting bag whenever I go to shoot anything with surplus ammo. I run a couple patches of the solution through the bore, a couple dry patches, then a patch soaked in Rem Oil. I then clean them as usual with Hoppe's #9, and oil the bore with Rem Oil again as soon as I can. The ammonia and water, then Rem Oil has always kept them from rusting until the next day, or longer.

The first day I took mine out to the range I had the gun firmly on my shoulder, it was a decent kick. Pulled the trigger again, nothing........ Realized that I was shooting a BOLT ACTION rifle, not a semi, DUH!!!!!!!!! My wife laughed at me. Well, I got her. I slid that bolt back and it tossed the empty shell right on her! :D She was sitting a few feet from me with the spotting scope.

I finished shooting, asked her if she wanted to, she said NO WAY! She saw how much it was kicking me. I started to hold the gun looser against me so I could feel it more! :D

That steel buttplate wasn't so bad. After 40 rounds though I decided a rubber pad would be better so I could do more shooting in a day.

I have two of them. I left one alone, the other one I modified a lot, new stock, modifed the bolt handle so I could mount a scope. Doesn't look anything like the rifle I bought. Some will hate me for doing it, but there are millions out there, these things are not rare.

Originally posted by cheapshooter:
I carry a plastic bottle of a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water in my shooting bag whenever I go to shoot anything with surplus ammo. I run a couple patches of the solution through the bore, a couple dry patches, then a patch soaked in Rem Oil. I then clean them as usual with Hoppe's #9, and oil the bore with Rem Oil again as soon as I can. The ammonia and water, then Rem Oil has always kept them from rusting until the next day, or longer.

So I could use this method on-site, maybe with a bore snake, then take it home for a more thorough cleaning the next day? Also- will the use of those brass brushes in my cleaning kit damage my gun, or no? I am new to this gun stuff, and a little ignorant on these matters.

I would definitely NOT use the brushes that came with the rifle...

One area not to "skimp" is on the cleaning tools.
ALWAYS clean from the breech. If possible, use a bore guide.
If you can afford the 30 bucks, get a good quality, one-piece, ball-bearing cleaning rod like a Dewey. And a 30 cal jag to go with...

Main thing with corrosive ammo is to get the salts out of the bore as quickly as possible. You've seen what salt does to steel- and this is no different. It attracts moisture, and causes rust quickly. Once the bore is "flushed", you can take your time getting to the usual cleaning routine.

Many schools of thought on this. Do a search...
I've found that the simplest, is the best. I use Wipe-Out, a foaming cleaner that also cleans copper deposits. Let it sit overnight, patch it out the next day. DONE. I don't use bore brushes...

Now just hold on there!

Just what do you think Remington, S&W, Taurus et al has to say about all you guys out there buying MilSurp MNs instead of something new...new and expensive?

All of you don't need a .23 cent 7.62X54R cartridge gun, no no no. You need a Super Dooper Mag-Na-Lum $1.98 per round kinda gun. You know...the kind of gun that I make a higher sales commssion on. That's right, just step right over here...

Back