Pros & Cons Of HD Shooting Using Ear Protection

What?

When I first read this question I was totally confused. In an emergency home defense situation someone is going to worry about ear protection?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

..bug

TennJed said:
pax said:
Cons: it might be difficult to talk to the 911 operator while wearing muffs. Even electronic ones!

Not really, most people only use cellphones now anyway. Speaker phone is available on virtually all of them
And mine goes to speaker mode automatically when I call 911.
Skadoosh said:
Electronic ear muffs, which may amplify and enhance sounds, are going to impede your ear's often times very subtle aural direction finding ability. I will pass on the electronic ear muffs.
Good ones won't do this; with a microphone in each muff, they're "stereophonic," and will reproduce time differences between the two ears very faithfully; they may even enhance them, depending on the location of the microphones. The effect of the muffs on intensity differences is a bit trickier to judge, as it will depend on things like the directionality of the microphones, but good quality muffs (such as these, for example, which have four directional microphones) are designed with this in mind. For the $100, you get better quality filtering of loud sounds, as well. You get what you pay for. (You can, of course, spend a lot more than this and get even more bells and whistles, but I wouldn't rely on the $20 e-muffs from Harbor Fright.)

And unattenuated gunshots will impair more than just your ability to locate the sources of sounds. :cool:

Last edited:
Let me say first that I will decide to wear muffs when and if the situation of HD actually arises. I do have a set of proear 33's on the night stand as an option. All that being said, if I think someone is in my house I am not going skulking around trying to find them. If they find me behind the closed door to my bedroom (or any other room), they are going to have some big problems. If they don't find me, then great. I do not need to hear at all in order to realize that someone is coming through my bedroom door. They will or they wont and I don't really care or am inclined to worry about hearing their foot falls.

for improper use of language

When I first read this question I was totally confused. In an emergency home defense situation someone is going to worry about ear protection?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

..bug
Yes! it doesn't take that much time, planning is what is important. Unless the person has the firearm drawn on you while you are still in bed, then you wouldn't have this option and others as well. If this happens then it meant you poorly planned or you are a very good sleeper.

Ear muffs would be very last on my list. I couldn't imagine hearing a noise then putting on ear muffs.
It shouldn't be if you care about your hearing from repeated 12GA blast. It is doable and I do not plan to go downstairs looking for the intruder. I will be laying low and have the turkey come to me.

besafe2 If you ever find your self in a real shots fired situation, most likely you'll not be wearing hearing or eye protection.
In the home defense situation, I have plenty of time to wear ear protection because it only takes 2-3 seconds. If I don't have 2-3 seconds then the chances are I am in deep trouble.
But outside the house i.e. on the street, neither options will be available.

I wrote this write-up because planning is very important. Finding out somebody is in your house is not the time to try and remember where all your things are. My setups are Firearm (with laser and flash light combo attached), ear muff, flash light, and bulletproof vest are all in arms reach. Always firearm first, ear muff second and when time permits vest is put on. All these gear will take me about 20-25 seconds at the most. I have practice this repeatedly because when the adrenaline kicks in, your training should guide you to increase your survival rate. Now in my case if I don't have 20-25 seconds then either I live in a terrible neighborhood or my current living arrangement or setup is very inadequate. Like others have previously stated, It is about having multiple layers to buy you time.

Last edited:
A shotgun blast in a bedroom will disorient a person who is not wearing muffs. Stereo direction impediment with amplified muffs is a concern --- but most bedroom attacks come from the bedroom door or window. But with sounds amplified 120 percent from electronic muffs is a plus --- saying that electronic muffs --- are a better HD piece of tactical equipment than no muffs at all.

The idea as taught in most civilian courses is that:

1. You portray yourself as the defender if they come to you. That will look better in court than wandering around outside.

2. Defense is a stronger position than offense for the civilian. We aren't military squads. I've seen in FOF that the newbies who go exploring are usually killed.

Ear protection on the range yes. In the unlikely event of having to use your firearm for self defence the last thing you will be concerned or worry about is ear protection. The thought of fumbling around for ear protection in a self defence situation is ridiculous in my opinion.

The idea as taught in most civilian courses is that:

1. You portray yourself as the defender if they come to you. That will look better in court than wandering around outside.

I would suggest that:

"I heard a sound and was scared. So I hid with my gun in case I needed it as an absolute last resort, in case it was someone bent on killing me. In the mean time I dialed 911"

is a much more jury friendly line than -

"I will be laying low and have the turkey come to me. "

Sgt Lumpy

Amazed at the amount of people who don't care about there hearing. It doesn't take to many shots to Permanantly destroy your hearing. Good you lived the altercation, but now you have a horrid quality of life. Cant hear your children or grand children laugh or talk, cant hear movies or tv or radio. Cant hear your wife, or even talk to the rest of humanity. Yep that's awesome...

Amazed at the amount of people who don't care about there hearing. It doesn't take to many shots to Permanantly destroy your hearing. Good you lived the altercation, but now you have a horrid quality of life. Cant hear your children or grand children laugh or talk, cant hear movies or tv or radio. Cant hear your wife, or even talk to the rest of humanity. Yep that's awesome...

I'm sure everyone cares about there hearing, you can't walk around town with amplified ear muffs on, are you going to have them in every room in the house?i guess in a perfect scenario laying on your nightstand you could wake up alert,get them on correctly, turn them on to desired level, get your gun, , may have a safety?, flashlight? Slippers? Everyone SHOULD wear hearing protection when shooting, if you know your going to be shooting, range, hunting etc..in a emergency situation you may need to react fast. If your dead you won't have to worry about a little ringing in the ears that may or may not go away. A rock concert or NASCAR race over time will have similar results. Occasional and repetitive make a big difference unless your talking about mortars or dynamite. I've know people that have 75% hearing loss but occurred over a 20-25+ years of shooting w/o protection.
Bottom line..Always absolutely positively Wear it, use it whenever possible

Last edited:
I have the following items within reach of my nightstand gun. A phone, a pair of prescription safety glasses, a flashlight, a spare magazine and electronic hearing protection.

I've tested all the items to insure that they work, to determine how they will work, how they will affect me (if applicable) and have practiced with them enough to be able to deploy any of them in a reasonably competent manner.

They are, essentially, a box of tools that are available for my use should the need for any or all of them arise. Having them close at hand doesn't obligate me to use all of them, or even any of them. Depending on the circumstances of the situation (time constraints, lighting, and any number of other variables), some might get used and some might not.

Good quality electronic hearing protection will not only protect your hearing, it generally has the capability to enhance it and does not affect the normal ability to locate sounds.

I was unfortunate enough to experience a gunshot without hearing protection indoors. In my case it was a single shot from a handgun. It resulted in nearly total hearing impairment (deafness) for perhaps a 30 seconds to a minute. After that, I was able to hear loud noises (shouting) and then, after 15-20 minutes I was able to converse in normal tones. I still have significant and noticeable hearing loss in my left ear years later.

I don't know if I will have the time or presence of mind to deploy my hearing protection in an emergency, but I have at least given myself the option of doing so.

Donning hearing protection suggests a certain degree of premeditation which I could see possibly garnering the defender extra suspicion, particularly if other aspect of the incident were questionable or unusual. Admittedly though, this would probably be less of an issue in states with Castle Doctrine laws.

Good thread

Back when I first started acquiring firearms as a hobbie... each gun I would buy I'd say to myself and others "Yup, the first shot I take from each new gun I buy will be out doors and without any hearing protection, just so I can see how it sounds in real life and compares to the others."
After taking my first shot from my .38 special I became a bit skeptical of my plan. Then when I took the first shot from my new .45 acp I decided that despite my meaningful intentions, the plan was seriously flawed. Heck, even a .22lr revolver will give a good ping to your ears. I'm just glad I decided to give up on that before I bought my .44 mag :o

I've fired a .22 rifle or semi auto handgun indoors a couple times with no hearing protection, and while it is hard on the ears, I could see doing it if I needed too. At this point the only way I'm willing to shoot a fire arm without hearing protection is if it's a .22 rifle outdoors, or maybe a .22 short or smaller in a revolver outdoors.

With the experience I've had, I'm scared to even carry a revolver for personal defense. If I were to carry a revolver (which I have) I'll be damned if I carry anything more than a standard .38 special. I don't want some +P or .357 blasting out my hearing to a point of no return when I could get away with a 9mm, especially when thinking about shooting indoors.

Ultimately this has caused me to become very curious about the idea of a suppressed 9mm for a HD gun. Aside from a shot gun (which will still be very loud) Can you do much better than a 9mm glock with a mounted flashlight, 33rnd magazine, night sights, suppressor, and subsonic HP ammo for a HD gun?

Could having a suppressor on a HD gun for the sake of saving the hearing of yourself, your family, and even the attacker really cause you legal problems if you were forced to shoot?

Amazed at the amount of people who don't care about there hearing. It doesn't take to many shots to Permanantly destroy your hearing. Good you lived the altercation, but now you have a horrid quality of life. Cant hear your children or grand children laugh or talk, cant hear movies or tv or radio. Cant hear your wife, or even talk to the rest of humanity. Yep that's awesome

I do not think people don't care about their hearing I would never shoot a firearm without hearing protection unless I had no choice. I think the chance of someone looking to harm you in your house is small but if it happens the less things to distract you form protecting yourself the better, putting in ear protecting for example could be a distraction from what you should be concentrating. on.

Amazed at the amount of people who don't care about there hearing. It doesn't take to many shots to Permanantly destroy your hearing. Good you lived the altercation, but now you have a horrid quality of life. Cant hear your children or grand children laugh or talk, cant hear movies or tv or radio. Cant hear your wife, or even talk to the rest of humanity. Yep that's awesome

We are talking about a life or death situation. If someone is trying to kill you- stab you multiple times, shoot you multiple times, bash your head in with a blunt object, rape and pillage your family and you are worried about hearing protection?

I think all of us care about hearing. For a life or death and life altering event mild ear damage is not on the top of my concerns, survival and avoiding permanent damage is, which a few rds with no ear protection will probably not cause permanent ear damage.
Just like shooting an elk with no ear muffs will probably not cause permanent ear damage for most hunters.

I have probably shoot a couple hundred rds with no protection and my hearing is fine, actually too good for the city. Some rds where when I was young and stupid and some are from hunting.
Gun shots don't make you go automatically deaf, it usually takes years of abuse.

I dont remember hearing any shots I have taken in hunting situations and have never had "ringing" in my ears after the shot.

At the range I have had shooting next to me prior to me getting my ears protected and that did result in "ringing" in my ears for a little while.

My point is this, in a stressful situation such as home defense, your adrenaline will be pumping so much you wont notice the shots

OK - we are going into the debate where someone says - well, I shot a lot and didn't get hearing problems.

The science says that statement is worthless as a generality or argument against using hearing protection. Cease and desist that.

We are also getting some wild-eyed zombie appearing over your bed to stab and maim you.

If that happens then you are surely a poor defensive planner for your domicile. That's your problem.

If you are at home - unless you are faced with a breaching team - a properly thought out house should give you enough time to retrieve a gun, light, muffs and maybe call the law.

We are close to close.

Last edited:
Back