Prepper Guns. $600.

Maverick/Mossberg/Remington 12 gauge pump and a .22lr of your preference. I would likely go with a bolt .22 for simplicity and ease of cleaning but whatever your preference is.

Should be plenty of ammo around for both and they're cost effective.

Most self defense is going to be up close and personal. An 870 Remington 12 ga. pump and a Glock both used if you are going to stay near $600.

While I don't know exactly what we're prepping for, in any scenario that involves increased risk because of some interruption in rule of law I want an AR 15. A shotgun with 18 and 28" barrels and a couple of choke tubes, a .22 rifle, a full-size and a compact pistol in 9×19, and a big bore revolver with plenty of ammo for all are also needed IMO. I would buy an AR and then figure out how to get the rest..

What do some here think about black powder guns for this topic?

The ultimate BP prepper shooter would have to be a flintlock, a round ball mold, and know how to make black powder.
Personally, I'd druther have a recurve bow.

The ultimate BP prepper shooter would have to be a flintlock, a round ball mold, and know how to make black powder.
I don't know about a flintlock, the fraction of a second it takes to ignite the powder can make it difficult to shoot. I do agree though that a smoothbore is the way to go as they can fire shot loads with good results. The only percussion smoothbore I know of is the 1842 Springfield and the replicas made today by Pedersoli and Veteran's Arms.

I'll also mention that I think the Remington New Model Army and the Colt 1862 or 1860 are great revolver choices for black powder prepping.

I'd go cheap cheap cheap.

Hi Point and a Maverick/Hawk/Pardner shotgun. Maybe an LCP instead for concealability purposes.

Every dollar you save on a gun you probably won't need is a dollar for something you will need (food, water, lighting, etc).

What would be the point of a black powder firearm? No paper trail? Cheap blackpowder from gardening supplies? It's leaning towards the silly side of prepping, but whatever.

Just because they're reliable and use the same ammo (but uglier than sin),

Hi Point carbine and pistol in the caliber of your choice (9mm can be found just about anywhere). Both can be gotten used for less than $450 which leaves $$$ for ammo or inexpensive used 12ga shotgun.

The carbine will be accurate out to 100 yds, pistol 50 yds and the 12 GA\00 buck good for close quarters and slugs for more distance if you want to leave a lasting impression.

Two Smith and Wesson 659's. Each of these guns would likely survive the next 300 years or so. They can be found for about $300. Exceptional quality, solid stainless steel, large capacity 9mm's.

In a survival situation where I don't want others to know what I have on me, I'd much rather have a good solid handgun, and a good spare for my spouse, than a rifle. Two well trained partners with good handguns is hard to beat. Besides, what am I going to lug around and use a rifle for - shooting wild moose and white-tail deer, like the other 300,000,000 folks with AR's, long guns and shotguns will be doing in the first 10 days? No thanks, just give me two good solid 9mm handguns. I assure you that I can carry way more 9mm ammo than I can 12ga shot shells or even 5.56 ammo. And, at the ranges I'll be concerned about it will be plenty effective!

Last edited:
I think the record shows I am not a guy that thinks you have to spend top dollar on firearms to get quality. My budget requires me to be careful with my choices. With that said, in any interruption in the rule of law, I do not want cheap weapons. I do absolutely want value though. A good quality $600 AR represents good value IMO. I think Skans makes a good point that a good handgun or two is also needed. Getting handguns would be priority one, after the rifle. The versatility and efficacy of an AR in 5.56/.223 makes it essential in my opinion.

FWIW, I think Hi Point pistols and carbines are fun to play with and decent guns...for the money. I just would not want to bet the ranch on a Hi Point.

K Mac, I have to ask you what you would have done with your AR in a Katrina type disaster? Water everywhere, people everywhere, cops confiscating whatever guns they could find. Would you really feel comfortable trying to get out of New Orleans openly and conspicuously carrying an AR? I do agree, however, that a good AR is an invaluable tool, if you can get away with carrying it wherever you go.

Skans that is a good question. I am not sure I have a pat answer. For me, escaping a major city is not a factor to be considered. It is also true that I carry a handgun religiously. On the other hand, having to defend my family and home with only a pistol from undefined hordes is unthinkable. I guess my answer is you can't really be prepared without both. I'm not sure how you could do that for $600. I would barter or sell something to acquire both I suppose.

Prepping in my mind is a process that requires careful analysis and timely purchases. Those serious about it will prioritize what is their minimum and then figure out how to make that happen.

With $600 budget I'd probably just get a decent pistol in 9mm and some accessories. Glock 19 or your choice of similar 9mm. Try to pick up a rifle along the road I guess.

Back