Preparing for an elk hunt

FYI
I saw an ad on a sports channel for a "device" that fits on your face like a mask and restricts the air intake giving the body the stress of high altitude. Seems like an excellent conditioning accessory.

Here are a couple of pictures from southwest CO I took while hunting.

attachment.php

Watching a meadow near a pass. When they come down through it you hear them way before you see them!

attachment.php

Just a scenery shot while walking to meet up for lunch. Beautiful country.

Attachments

• 021_21.JPG
    021_21.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 027_27.JPG
    027_27.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 182
The air restriction mask DO NOT WORK

They restrict air intake but DO NOT reduce oxygen percentage from 21% to 16% to simulate altitude

make sure that you have good boots and that they are broken in.

And bring moleskin just in case. I used to live in Rifle on the Western Slope - dress in multi-layers.
If you can't hike as often in those higher hills, hit the gym and put the treadmill on a steep incline and wear your gear - boots, pants, backpack with weights.

I live at 8k work (kinda) at 10k. I still try and take it easy first day or two at hunting elevation. If it hits you it can take days to recover. Of all the good advice I've read no one has said bring plenty of TP or white gold. You would be surprised what guys will trade for it after a few days in the hills without.

I hunted that area a few years ago and thought I had prepared myself for physically. I used to put a mask on my face and than elevated the angle of my treadmill as high as it would go. I started by doing one mile at first than after several months I was able to do 5 miles walking uphill on the tread mill in 2 hours.

When I got there I was not ready. As it has already been suggested arrive a few days early and acclimate yourself.

I've hunted elk a few times. After walking our horses over the Continental Divide in the Bob Marshall Wilderness west of Choteau, MT, it is hard for me to imagine any elk hunter has spent too much energy exercising for a few months before their mountain hunt. I had competed in biathlons and triathlons, and ridden my bike over 100 miles as fast as I could tolerate before my hunt in the Bob. I also used free weights. I am really, really glad I had prepared myself (almost enough) for that hunt.

Back