Preparing for an elk hunt

Found this advice about acclimating to the altitude.

Anyone coming from lower altitudes to 8,000 feet or more may experience headaches, unusual fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, difficulty sleeping, and lassitude. Expect, also, that you’ll do some heavy breathing, even after you acclimatize. These physiological responses are discomforting, but not serious.
Here are a few thoughts on preventing altitude problems:
1. Above 8,000 feet, ascend no faster than your ability to acclimatize–an average of 1,000 feet per 24 hours of sleeping gain (sleep no more than 1,000 feet higher than the night before).
2. Drink plenty of water.
3. Eat plenty of carbohydrate-rich, low-fat foods.
4. Consult your physician about the uses of acetazolamide to prevent mild altitude illness. I think it’s better to take the time to acclimatize, though.
If you feel sick, do not go up until the symptoms go down, exercise lightly, and drink plenty of water. If the symptoms do not go down within two days, you should. People who do not acclimatize–meaning feel better–in two days might be developing a serious form of altitude illness.

I'd want at least a week to aclimate up to about 11,000 feet. I'd do the 1000 feet a day thing then spend a few days at or a little below treeline if I planned to be doing a lot of hiking at altitude. It's beautiful up there, but until you aclimate everything becomes harder, even if your in great condition.

Last edited:
Glass a hillside like crazy....pick it apart and try not to leave anything unchecked

This is a picture of a 6x7 bull in his bed sleeping at over a mile away

DSCN1273_zpsirwvdww7.jpg

Blown up using digital media

DSCN1271-1-1-1_zpscsqkpqtd.jpg

I decided to take some close up pics later

PB030265-1-1_zpstxn1ijqh.jpg

Then give him a little help getting back to Missouri

imagejpeg_0765_zpsehewuerq.jpg

Glass Glass Glass

Nice pictures tedthorn if the hard drive on my new laptop had not died Monday I could have posted some bull photos of two in my area ten feet away wanting to be scratched.......them two that come to my salt block would be impossible to draw down on even if I had the right tag.

Some people don't take the altitude thing that seriously, but it can really be a butt kicker. I grew up in Nebraska at about 2,600 ft. elevation and thought I was in pretty good shape. The day after I graduated high school at 18 yrs. old, I started a job for the summer in Denver working in a gas station. The first week I spent panting like a tired dog most of the time as the work tended to be pretty hectic.....and this was not going up and down hills.
If it will effect a young guy like that...beware if you have any age on you.

Thanks stony I'm 27. I have been to Denver a few times and havnt been bothered by the altitude there yet but I wasn't doing a lot of work either.

Don't be fooled by the ease of hanging out in Denver. It's lowlands by elk standards. Walking around town at 5,000 isn't the same as hiking at 10,000. I lived in Cheyenne at 6,000 and chasing elk up and down hills at 10,000 was still a workout. Really, don't underestimate this thing, even at 27.

Zoomie is giving you very good council here.

Denver is at 5,280 feet. My house is 5,920. So Denver is lower then my home and I have to go up at least 1,000 to find elk, and it's not uncommon for me to be at 8,000 to 9,000 when I am hunting them. There are places where you will find them over 10,000, but not too many. Most elk will be found (at least the ones I have hunted) at between 7,000 and 9,500.

When I was a Marine I was, among many other duties, a climbing and rescue instructor at Mountain Warfare Training Center near Bridgeport California.
I was responsible for training other Marines mostly from Reconnaissance unites and some infantry units.

My unit hosted the men from 2nd Recon out of Camp Lejeune NC. These men were in top athletic condition, and are often called "The Marine's Marines". Yet coming from sea level to 11,000 is still too much for them to jump right into training, so by policy they had 2 days of "No Duty' and 5 days of "light duty" before they are allowed to start the training. Most of these men were in their mid 20s and to be in Recon you have to be able to do 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes, 20 pull-ups, 80 push ups and run 3 miles in 18 minutes.
And THEY have to take it easy at that altitude. (11,000 to 14,000)

Now you don't have to be in the condition of a Recon-Marine, but do not take this warning lightly. Going form say 2,500 Above Sea Level to 8,000
A. S. L. is a HUGE step and it is something you have to be aware of and get ready for.

Just to provide some perspective on why even we "high altitude" guys keep mentioning altitude and making sure you're prepared for it....
(Aside from the fact that most of us have had some serious eye openers.)

If we call sea level our baseline with "100%" oxygen available, the following is available at these altitudes above sea level:
. 335 ft - 98.5% (Little Rock)
2,000 ft - 92.8%
2,500 ft - 91.4% (Ozarks)
3,000 ft - 89.4%
5,280 ft - 82.3% (Denver)
6,000 ft - 80%
7,000 ft - 77%
7,120 ft - 76.7% (Pagosa Springs)
8,000 ft - 74.2%
9,000 ft - 71.3%
10,000 ft - 69%
11,000 ft - 66%
11,570 ft - 64.6% (Vale)
12,000 ft - 63.6%

If you re-baseline with Little Rock as the reference altitude, Denver ends up at 83.6% of what you're used to; the atmosphere at Pagosa Springs provides only 77.9% of normal; and 10,000 ft won't give you more than 70% of the oxygen your body wants.

Short version:
At 8,000 ft, for example, everything feels 25% harder before you even factor in the additional energy and strength required to deal with terrain, ground cover, and snow/mud/rain.

It's nothing to be afraid of, and it won't kill, but you need to at least mentally prepare for an acclimation period.
If you're in good shape, you'll probably fine after a day or two. It doesn't change the fact that your body is still working notably harder to get the same amount of oxygen; but you may not notice it as much.

On the flip side....
When you get back to Arkansas, you'll feel like you're breathing soup. ;)

Don't forget to view the terrain behind you occasionally and pick out visible landmarks. When returning to camp/vehicle the terrain looks much different from the opposite direction.

mules

If you are just now getting around to training mules for packs I´d suggest leaving them home, they have to be experianced not just for packing but handling rough terrain without getting tangled up, going over Cliffs or running off by spooking at a strainge sent.

Thanks for all the tips I have an idea of what to expect, I will start conditioning myself according to yalls advice.

The length of time it takes to acclimate depends on your physical condition. I've hunted in the Rockies once, but have done a half dozen summer camping trips there. The 1st 24 hours for me has forced me to slow down, but by the 2nd day I was good to go.

Most of the places I hunt here in GA are just as steep and rugged as Colorado, just 4000' or so lower. Many places here are 3000-4000'. Most of the hunting there is going to be 7000-8000'. Above 8000' during the fall is higher than you'll find most game. I've hiked above 12,000 with no ill effects. I did get light headed at 14,000' once on the 1st day. If you spend a lot of time walking and hunting in steep country it a little extra altitude is easier.

Totally agree with jmr49, your physical condition especially your cardio is key. Example as an avid hunter my routine is day one hike 4 miles with 75lbs pack, day two bike ride 30-45 minutes, day three an hour plus of strength training, day four a 13 plus mile hike with 75lbs pack, day 5&6 same as day 2&3.

As a result when I go from 1700' where I live to 9500 where I hunt it is no big deal and have no issues at acclimating. In fact I will take day trips up to my hunt area about every 2-4 weeks to check cameras. And when I make the climb up the mountain I huff and puff but I don't ever feel out of breath or feel the need to stop and catch my breath.

So I say cardio, cardio, cardio, oh and don't forget the strength training because elk are big animals.

Also being physically fit also helps you have an overall pleasurable experience opposed to being sore, out of breath and generally miserable.

We are doing some control burns here on the farm we got about 1500 acres burned off this weekend. I thought I'd test how good of shape I was I in and jog around the fire brakes with my shovel and I'm not nearly in good enough shape yet. All the smoke in the air might of had an effect on me but I was wore out.

Altitude sickness—also known as acute mountain sickness (AMS), altitude illness, hypobaropathy, "the altitude bends", or soroche—is a pathological effect of high altitude on humans, caused by acute exposure to low partial pressure of oxygen at high altitude. It commonly occurs above 2,400 metres (8,000 feet).[1][2] It presents as a collection of nonspecific symptoms, acquired at high altitude or in low air pressure, resembling a case of "flu, carbon monoxide poisoning, or a hangover".[3] It is hard to determine who will be affected by altitude sickness, as there are no specific factors that correlate with a susceptibility to altitude sickness. However, most people can ascend to 2,400 metres (8,000 ft) without difficulty.

Acute mountain sickness can progress to high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) or high altitude cerebral edema (HACE), which are potentially fatal.[2][4]

Chronic mountain sickness, also known as Monge's disease, is a different condition that only occurs after very prolonged exposure to high altitude.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

I've been hunting Southwest CO since the 90's for elk. Big, steep mountains with black timber on the the north-faces and aspen with sparse timber on the southern sides. Our camp is at 8000' and we regularly hunt (walking in) above 10,000', and on occasion I've been over 12,000. I'm in poor shape but I take it slow and just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and I get to where I want to be. I do a lot of walking prior to elk season, walking 6-8 miles a day in preparation. This helps as I don't get sore while over there but there is nothing I can do to prepare for the altitude so like I said, just take it slow and remember it's a marathon not a sprint.

Items I don't leave camp without are daypack, cord, water, lunch and snacks, elk bags, two knives, diamond sharpener, multi-tool, cell phone (for the camera), fire starter and Wyoming saw. If we're hunting in more than a couple of miles I strap my daypack onto my packframe, that way if I get something I can bring 1/3 or so of the animal out and save the extra trip.

You are going to have a great time, CO is a beautiful place and being back in the mountains is just awesome. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you do.

You're getting a lot of good advice. One thing that I will add, drink lots and lots of water. It helps with the altitude adjustment; plus it's just plain dry out here. Plan on doubling the water intake you normally drink. No, beer and soda doesn't count. It will, however, make things worse. If I were you, I'd lay off the drinking the first night in the mountains.

Dress in layers. Bring warmer stuff to put on in your daypack. If you do much walking, you will need to shed stuff if you start out with too much on. Generally, I don't wear a thermal base layer until the temps are consistently below 30, especially if I'm doing much walking. From camp to where we hunt is 3 1/2 miles one way. We don't use mules or horses, but whenever anyone shoots an elk the people that come to help pack it out always say "next time we're renting a horse". But we never do.

Bring a second pair of boots. Not sure if you're camping or staying in a hotel/ranch, but a second pair of boots will be a godsend if it's sloppy out. Putting a damp pair of boots on in the morning isn't that much fun.

Pick up a pair of gaiters. If it snows or rains, you'll appreciate having them on to keep the area from your knee to your boot dry.

Be prepared for views like this.

Be prepared for views like this.

Hey, I've been there!

No, not really. But it reminded me of this:

attachment.php

Actually taken at "low altitude" (8,720 ft) while on the main road, trudging my way back to camp on a ~5 mile, 1,400 ft elevation change hike.

It was all covered in 2" of snow the next morning.

Attachments

• IMG_2161_800.jpg
    IMG_2161_800.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 219
Back