Preparing for an elk hunt

Lwh4207

Hello I have an elk rifle hunt planned for next fall around pagosa springs Colorado. I am training my mules for packing and I have got an experienced guy going with me. I have got all the camping supplies I need hopefully, is there anything else I can do to prepare for the hunt.

Map and compass.

Camera. A good one, not a cellphone camera.

Walk and run, you're in the lowlands, elk are in the rarified air.

Find some way to plug one nostril completely and the other about 1/2.

Then run the hills.

AKA...

Try to practice hiking/climbing at altitude carrying a full pack.

BTW - do conditioning work for the mules too.

Last edited:
Yup, all good advice.

Where do you live?
Altitude is a concern so if you live in lowlands you will want to train extra hard. Get up high about 4 days before you start hunting if you can. If you can't then go slow at first because your body may not be used to hiking mountains at 1-2 miles above sea level.

Also get a 7-1/2 minute USGS maps of your area when you go, and know how to use a compass well.

Carry a day-pack with you with some fire making materials, food and water, and keep a good set of binos on you when you hunt. Even in the trees binoculars are very good to have at times.

Another thing you will find very handy is a folding saw.

I carry a 5" diamond sharpener too. It's well worth the 3 oz it weighs. Of course a knife is necessary but I have fallen in love with a Swiss Army knife too. It is handy for all the little things you will not see coming, but need a tool when they happen.

One last thing.... carry a US Military M-16 cleaning kit and an adapter for civilian bore brushes in the caliber you need. This is one thing you will carry for 30 years and never need it until the one time you don't have it. It's small, cheap and light and when you need a rod and brush, you will thank me for suggesting it.

There's a great app called onxhunt that costs $30.00 but it gives you all the boundaries and private property, great app go hunting states with lost of private mixed in with public.

Above all else, be prepared to enjoy yourself.

Otherwise...
Be prepared for the work. (It sounds like you have a good plan.)

Take it easy for the first day or two. (Getting there early and taking some time to scout or just enjoy the area helps.)

Don't forget your first aid kit, and have a good emergency plan in place.

Make sure you are prepared to buy and transport legal feed for your mules, if the local conditions (dry year? noxious weed outbreak?) and local regulations (public land?) mandate certified weed-free hay, etc.

Have a plan for your blades. Elk hides, especially when covered in mud, urine, and feces during the rut, will ruin a knife edge faster than most people believe. I only carry two knives on most hunts (a little, usually half-dull pocket knife, and a good hunting knife). But I always have mucho backup in camp, plus sharpeners and/or spare blades. There are also at least two bone saws available, with multiple spare blades. (Multiple hunters, and each of us brings at least one bone saw.)

Generally, the hide on the belly and rump will be the dirtiest, and the hide on the neck will be the toughest to cut (if necessary -- it's often 3/4" to 1" thick!).
Since I have to return to camp for my packframe, anyway, the knives that I carry are only meant for a basic gutting / field dressing. When I go for the pack frame, I can grab the bone saw(s) (or cordless sawzall :D), other knives and/or sharpeners, and whatever else may be needed. I have been carrying a Piranta knife with replaceable 'scalpel' blades for the last two years, but I consider a blade change without pliers to be too risky with bloody hands - especially if I'm alone. So even the Piranta is a one-blade-only affair in my mind.

And...

Definitely carry some binos, even in the trees.

I missed this guy a few years back. I was taking the pictures (about 20 feet apart) so my wife would have a better idea of the terrain and how lighting conditions make it difficult to see anything in the trees, even with snow on the ground.
And, of course, they turned out to be perfect examples when I was showing her the photos after the hunt. :rolleyes:
I was with another hunter when I took the photos, and he never saw this bull, either.

Approximately what the naked eye saw:

attachment.php

What some different auto-light-balance in the camera and post-hunt color/contrast tweaks brought out in the second photo:

attachment.php

Had I 'glassed, I may have seen him. With the naked eye... total air ball.

Just for the sake of putting the photos in context... that was at right around 9860 ft asl, just after coming down from a 10,040 ft peak. We hadn't seen anything above about 9,400 ft on that hike, and the far edge of the trees pictured is the top of the tree line in that area. Beyond those trees, you get 6" tall sagebrush, if that.

It's about 125-150 yards to the bull and 75-100 yards to "no man's land".

My best advice is arrive at least a week early. Even in good physical condition, it takes 3-4 days to acclimate. On a 7 day hunt, you'll see what I mean.
In 2010, I lived in CO all summer on a job and scouted for a Sept muzzle loader hunt. Came home, baled hay for 10 days, got my equipment, and went back. I was good to go within a day. My hunting partner from Ill. showed up two days before opener. Opening day, he could barely get out of sight of our vehicle.
Bottom line, in 6 days of hunting, we never saw an elk. I packed my stuff and his at least 1/2 the time and he still didn't make it to where the elk were.

Thanks guys and I live in north Central Arkansas. We have big hills not mountains I havnt had trouble with altitude in the past ,but I was just going to rodeos out west I wasn't hiking or having to do anything labor intensive for very long. And I don't think I've been up to 10000 feet.

The Ozarks are barely hills compared to the Rockies.

Around 8,000 feet you'll start to feel some effect, and above 11,000 no question about it.

After 40 years with the USFS, I can tell you one thing, the only way to train for walking outdoors carrying a load is to walk outdoors carrying a load. 1/4 mile of walking off-trail is the equivalent of 1 mile on a trail.

Want to get in shape? Go find a hill near your home, doesn't need to be very high, a couple hundred feet is just fine. Now walk straight up it, right up the fall line. No contours, no trail, only deviation from the fall line is to avoid brush patches. Come down the same way, but you can zig-zag a bit to avoid coming down the fall line, it's harder on your joints than uphill. Do that 3 or 4 times a week until your hunt comes around. When you think you're in shape and got it made, go find a higher hill, and add a pack with maybe 20 pounds.

Do put your boots on TODAY and start walking around in them, full day, beginning now. The weight on your feet will help your leg muscles develop, and your feet and joints will toughen up. Don't wear 'em to church, but wear 'em everywhere else.

There is nothing more enjoyable than to be in remote country and be fit. Your experience will be infinitely better than if you are struggling the entire time due to conditioning.

That's a pretty cool picture frank. And thanks Kilimanjaro I might start carrying my pack when I go coon hunting. That can turn into long walks, I was a Derrick hand "got layed off" but that was pretty good climbing exercise. I'm back to just raising cattle now and the closest thing I have been doing to hiking all winter is wading through mud.

Lets get real:

I grew up in central Arkansas, Western Perry County. I agree those hills aren't the Rockies, but they are butt kickers.

If you chase coon hounds all over those mountains, you're gonna be in shape.

You're problem is going to be the altitude. I hunt the Big Horns now, 9,000 feet. I get buy, I'm older, I have COPD, and found, though not perfect, after about three days at altitude, you'll get use to it if you are still in good enough shape to chase coon hounds.

You mentioned mules. That's gonna take a lot of the work out of it. But you have to take into account they too will be effected by the altitude. I used horses. They too needs to adjust so go easy on them the first few days.

You'll find more elk glassing then chasing all over the mountains. Now I use a 4 Wheeler. I've found a place that I always see elk at the edge of the timber by glassing, maybe not every day, but at least every hunting trip.

I know my rifle and how far I can shoot, Humanely, where I hunt I can shoot, the ride my 4 wheeler to the kill, and drag it back to camp.

I'm in no way suggesting hunting from 4-wheelers, that wont work. But they will get you to your setting/glassing spot. My pet spot is just off the paved highway so I'm not chasing critters out of the country.

I love the Big Horns and spend the days riding the FS roads and trails, exploring old cabins 'n such. Then in the afternoon I go to my spot and glass.

As I said, Im old, I have COPD, and I'm out of shape. But I have fairly good success by just glassing. Also the woodline is far enough away I can glass, smoke and make coffee, just relaxing and enjoying the mountains.

Trust me, you'll see more elk glassing then killing yourself running up and down mountains.

Harvesting is fine, but the best part of elk hunting is exploring the mountains.

"...takes 3-4 days to acclimate..." That applies to the mules too.
"...gonna take a lot of the work out of it..." And add a lot of work too. Food and water for 'em. Plus the time it takes to care for 'em. That's why most outfitters have people to do that. Very much doubt you'll be able to feed 'em properly by grazing.
Ozarks run about 2500 ft. above sea level. Pagosa Springs is at 7,126 ft.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28927-c3597/Colorado:United-States:Altitude.Sickness.html

Congrats!

1. make sure that you have good boots and that they are broken in.

2. Go slow; it's a marathon, not a sprint.

3. Sight in on a rest, but spend all your practice firing off hand. My FiL said it best "When you find an elk, you have about 5 seconds to figure out what you're going to do."
Often, you won't have time to brace yourself or your rifle.

Good luck out there!

Kraig I have to agree these mountains aren't as tall but they are just as steep and a 5 mile hike at night can be kinda tiring.

If you can hike in your hills it will help. I have a cabin at 3000 ft that I spend six months at hikeing up to 7000 and it sure makes a difference for me hunting with younger people that spend most of their time at 700 feet. Even at our low hunting elevations the younguns are sucking wind the first few days.

Take a second compass so you won't waste time arguing with your first compass.
:D

In 2012, I was making my way up the mountain to retrieve the last quarter of my bull from the top of the ridge just below the peak (at "only" 9,400 ft), and found myself in an area that didn't look right. I consulted with my little brother (non-hunter offering pack mule services), and he insisted it was "just through those trees..."

It wasn't right, and everything about the terrain, the view, and my internal compass said I needed to turn around.

Luckily, I had thrown my compass (USAF issue) and map in the small pack that he was carrying. We checked the compass. Double checked. Triple checked. Quadruple checked. That thing wasn't right, either! It was telling me to walk in circles!

We argued. And argued some more. The compass argued its own case.

Finally, I just laid it out something like this:
"The compass isn't right. Something's messing with it. I've hunted here before and know this isn't right. You haven't been here before.
I have the forty-four. You have a knife. There are still elk guts and a front shoulder on this mountain. I know there's a sow black bear with cubs in those trees [pointing where he wanted to go], and at least one Mountain Lion on this rock face [pointing below us].
We got off the trail and missed the quarter. I'm heading back the way we came to try to find it again. Do what you want. If you don't follow me, we'll come look for you an hour before sunset. [Which he knew wasn't reasonable, since it's a 3-hour hike one-way.]"

That stubborn SOB just stood there, so I turned around and tried to pick up the marked trail again.
As I caught sight of some pink trail marker tape after moving about 300 yards back down the ridge, he came running up, hot on my heels, and managed to squeak out between panting breaths, "There's the trail. You'll need some water."
:D

Back