Practice shooting two handguns at the same time?

ok, back in my younger days when i apparently had more money than brains i owned two Colt Anacondas 4" dang i loved those guns loved the recoil from double wielding them, till one day, guess they got away from me, didn't notice at the range it was when i got home i saw the damage, the other one just had repairable front site damage had to sell it when things got tight, kept this one.

Attachments

• P8200013.JPG
    P8200013.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 33
Very few people in 'the old west' owned one firearm, never mind two.
I don't believe it's a stretch to say that most households in the old west owned at least one firearm.

Where Hollywood errs is in suggesting that pistols were a common possession and I'll wager that it was rare indeed for a person to own two handguns given their expense and their relative lack of everyday utility compared to a rifle or shotgun.

Those who did carry two, likely carried the second as a backup/quick reload, not as something to keep their weak hand busy in a gun fight.

I'm a cowboy action shooter and began shooting in the Gunfighter category about two years ago. Shooting with a loaded revolver in each hand is defined as "gunfighter" shooting style.

I have done some weak hand shooting in my time but I didn't think I was coordinated enough to master shooting with two revolvers at once. Over time, though, I developed an interest in trying it out. We have some Gunfighters in the local clubs who are always willing to coach "converts". One of the clubs introduced an "unofficial" category called "All Around Cowboy" in which the shooter is required to shoot two stages with a revolver held in both hands (usually the fastest way to shoot), two stages using Duelist shooting style (one revolver at a time with one hand unsupported) and two stages Gunfighter. It gave me a way to try the different styles.

The most common technique is to cock one revolver and fire it while cocking the second revolver, alternating shots from each revolver. More advanced shooters might alter that pattern depending on the order and location of the targets to be engaged. This avoids having to shift your aim too much or to "cross over". It's beyond my meager abilities at present.

The bottom line is that while it may not be "real world practical", it can be done safely and with reasonable effectiveness. It adds a little variety and a new type of challenge as well. Keep in mind that are shooting in a controlled environment within some very specific safety rules.

There are some Gunfighters who use a "double cocking" technique, which means cocking both revolvers at once. This is allowed under SASS rules as long as you do not move with a cocked revolver or let it leave your hand. As someone else pointed out, the rules say the revolvers should be shot one at a time to facilitate scoring. With some of the very fast "double cockers" it can be a bit of a challenge to "spot" (watch for misses or out-of-order hits) for them. Here is a video of a very fast Gunfighter; notice how he successfully engages targets that are separated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fq0zJL1uI

I can't explain exactly why I've always thought that owning this kind of rig and two 45's would be a hoot on range day, but I have, and it most certainly is.

attachment.php

It's not because I hold some closet desire to be some Hollywood hero.
It's not preparation for some apocalypse or any hoards of brain eating zombies.
It's not because I live about a 25 minute drive from Ferguson though there it could hold some value. :eek:
It's not something I would even begin to consider wearing for anything other than fun, ever.

That said, I don't see the harm in it, though I do understand the potential risks.
I also know that my off hand shooting skill has improved measurably in the short time that I've played with it.

We're all in this firearms thing together because we need or enjoy it on some level or another, and there's absolutely nothing bad in that.

... and Big Shrek... I want to go shooting with you! :p

Attachments

• IMG_20160831_211226792.jpg
    IMG_20160831_211226792.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 112
I have a shaky memory of reading about a Russian agency, maybe Spetnatz, that taught dual-wielding handguns as a combat technique.
Also, an even shakier memory of a Chicago police special unit that practiced dual-wielding.
Anyone else remember either of those?

I need more weak hand training.
I do really well strong hand, but that's from a lot of point shooting practice.
I think if I had a projected laser on my weak side, it would help a tiny bit, but not too much.
A red laser on my port side gun, and a green on my starboard gun would be too much, and I'm pretty sure I'd louse the whole thing up.
I'd have fun, to be sure.

Back in my paintball days, I ran into a little dude that ran 2 auto (paint) pistols called mod 85 (Made by para-ordinance!) with 30+ round mags. They looked like a little mac 10. Couple of spare mags on his belt. Everybody else was using pumps or semi-autos. He was really good.
We would be just a bunch of noobs playing capture the flag and taking way too long for his taste, and he would just run out on the field and decimate what was left of both teams. If you got him, your team won. Little dude was really hard to hit, fast moving and just crazy fast and accurate-with 2 full auto pistols. It was rather humiliating the first time. The pistols used pistol primers rather than CO2 and little plastic cases to shoot smaller than normal sized paintballs. I think they were .375, and ran about 400 FPS. They hit really hard. When he made an appearance (Somewhat rare) everybody tried gunning for him, but it was no use. Never seen him lose. This was back before all the rules got into action pursuit sports.
He wasn't human, either. I think his dad owned the arena, and he was there every day. He knew the arena like the back of his hand.

Last edited:
... and Big Shrek... I want to go shooting with you!

It was far more interesting to go shooting with me before I got married...
my ammo budget was astounding!!!
Shot SASS, IDPA, IPSC, GSSF, and pickup matches every chance I got :)

Nowadays, married with twin 5yr olds, I get to the range about once every 4-6 months...
makes me feel like Al Bundy ;)

Altho I've been sneaking out to Talon Range in Tallahassee lately...
mostly just watching to see who my competition will be
when I start fiddlin about at those bowling pin matches on Thursday nites ;)
Just waiting on a couple more magazines for a certain pistol to get in stock...
then I'll surprise a few folks!

Just saw, for the umthink time, The Mummy, in it the hero shoot twin revolvers at the same time. Very enjoyable to watch. Very, IMHO, a stunt and somebody's dream of being zbillly The Kid firing with both hands.
You guys talk about wasting $$$ on using real SD ammo to practice, but using 2 revolvers for SD is a stunt.

Those who did carry two, likely carried the second as a backup/quick reload, not as something to keep their weak hand busy in a gun fight.
This. If you were using a handgun that held only 6 rounds (optimistically---many had to be downloaded to 5 to be drop-safe), and reloading was slow, then the best way to get decent capacity was to carry a second. But regardless of one's level of skill, one will be faster shooting one at a time than shooting two.

Apologies for posting a Facebook video, but I can't find it on YouTube:

https://www.facebook.com/FullOfWeapons/videos/1129451257112039/

After shooting the lever-action, she makes 10 hits in less than 5 seconds from two single-action revolvers. There is no way that she could have been as fast or as accurate by shooting them both one-handed at the same time. That will be true of anyone; if you have two guns, you will be faster and more accurate shooting them one at a time.

I'm a SASS shooter also. I shoot frontier cartridge duelist. SASS shooters do not fan their revolvers. Two handed shooters cock the hammer with the weak hand thumb and some slip hammer but no fanning allowed. Mark

I'm assuming you are having a crowd threatening you? Single weapon with a two handed grip is all you need for a single or double attacker. If you need two weapons, your will have both the adversities as tunnel vision, and at least 57% misses under your defense in the first 6' - 10'. You should be aiming with your front sight....two firearms have two front sights. Why would you use two firearms in two hands? Do you live in a gang neighborhood?

Last edited:
Back