practical purpose for .38 spl guns gone....

JERRYS.

the gun mind you, not the round.

with airweight J frames and all other revolvers made in .357 mag, what is the practical purpose of the same guns being made in .38 spl anymore? not target shooting specialty guns, but everyday carry guns. you can load any .357 with the lower powered .38 spl so why have a .38 spl version of the very same .357 magnum gun?

why the 64 when there is the 65?

why the 642 when there is the 340?

I'm not talking about the older guns that predated their magnum counterparts, I mean today, why make a .38 spl only gun?

I mean today, why make a .38 spl only gun?
as in the case of the LCR and LCRX the advantage is in the weight of a few ounces (because they had to go from alloy to stainless for the strength for the magnum).

My 3" LCRX which is only rate .38 +P is a featherweight and joy to carry. The .357 magnum LCR is just a tad heavier but noticeable in the pocket. Since most people mainly carry .38 and feel .38 +P is the upper limits for their recoil tolerance, the weight savings in the .38 only makes some difference in people's choices in the market place.

As HighValleyRanch already mentioned, the LCR and LCRX have two different frame types. The magnum frames are a little bigger and a little heavier than the ones used for rimfire and .38 special.

Another advantage is that cleaning the chambers is a little easier. Shooting shorter cartridges in longer chambers, such as .38 special in a .357 revolver or .32 H&R Magnum in a .327 revolver, causes crud to build up against the little shoulder inside the chamber.

Why? Because shooting full house 357s from a light gun is painful and not really necessary when a 38 or even a +P will suffice.

Everyone above nailed it :cool:

There are also agencies that only allow 38 Special in their officers BUGs
Too many instances of officers playing into the mindset of...

"I'll practice with 38 but carry 357"

Which in and of itself entirely idiotic
But has also contributed to officers being injured and even killed

As HighValleyRanch already mentioned, the LCR and LCRX have two different frame types. The magnum frames are a little bigger and a little heavier than the ones used for rimfire and .38 special.

Another advantage is that cleaning the chambers is a little easier. Shooting shorter cartridges in longer chambers, such as .38 special in a .357 revolver or .32 H&R Magnum in a .327 revolver, causes crud to build up against the little shoulder inside the chamber.
ok I can see how 3 Oz. can make a difference in a pocket, I think. I'm not getting it if the guns are the same size and profile though.

regarding the cleaning, I guess to me cleaning is cleaning and those wanting to use 38s will probably hardly ever use the magnums, so the ring of crud that takes another two minutes to clean won't matter.

must be just me.

ok I can see how 3 Oz. can make a difference in a pocket, I think. I'm not getting it if the guns are the same size and profile though.

regarding the cleaning, I guess to me cleaning is cleaning and those wanting to use 38s will probably hardly ever use the magnums, so the ring of crud that takes another two minutes to clean won't matter.

must be just me.

It takes much longer than that
Some pistols & loads also suffer accuracy issues

must be just me.

It might be just you. :p

Seriously though, whether these are minor issues or a major convenience kind of does depend on the person. At least for me, that extra bit of crud bugs me. I almost never shoot the short cartridges in longer-chambered guns. I still have one revolver each in .38 special, .32 H&R Magnum, and .32 S&W Long for if and when I want to use those cartridges.

As far as the LCR goes, they look very similar. It's really something that you notice when you hold them side by side or switch from one to the other in a pocket holster. It's not a big enough deal for me to care though.

The reason S&W and Ruger make .38s is because that's what people want. I don't really understand why you are asking. You have evidently never fired an Airweight .38 much less a .357 that weighs 13 ounces. Sheesh...................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Why? Because shooting full house 357s from a light gun is painful and not really necessary when a 38 or even a +P will suffice.
what does that have to do with my question?

The cylinder is shorter; you won't be tempted to shoot 357.

Like putting an exotic hypercar engine in a daily commuter car; simply not needed.

If I was buying a snub revolver today it would be a 360J. Why would anyone shoot 357 out of those beasts? Surely no one practices enough to be proficient

The reason S&W and Ruger make .38s is because that's what people want. I don't really understand why you are asking. You have evidently never fired an Airweight .38 much less a .357 that weighs 13 ounces. Sheesh...................................
who said you have to shoot 357s in it?

The question is valid and I understand it completely. I think the answer depends on what the owner feels confident with. In my case, I have a 442-1 that I love and I have complete confidence in the 38 Special +P. My basic criteria was it had to conceal in my front pocket without printing, no exposed hammer and it had to be DA only. The 442 in 38 Special +P is what I finally decided on and I keep it loaded with Federal Premium 38 Special (+P) 129g Hydra Shoks.

To be honest, I did consider a J Frame .357 mag but I could not find one locally that fit my criteria. If I had, I might have that instead.

The alloy frame 357's cost twice the allow frame 38's. I had my ScTi 357 rebuilt 3 times before I sold it. I don't mind shooting magnums in the beast, it just would not hold up to the magnums.

The question is valid and I understand it completely. I think the answer depends on what the owner feels confident with. In my case, I have a 442-1 that I love and I have complete confidence in the 38 Special +P. My basic criteria was it had to conceal in my front pocket without printing, no exposed hammer and it had to be DA only. The 442 in 38 Special +P is what I finally decided on and I keep it loaded with Federal Premium 38 Special (+P) 129g Hydra Shoks.

To be honest, I did consider a J Frame .357 mag but I could not find one locally that fit my criteria. If I had, I might have that instead.
a concealed hammer airweight J frame .357 is readily available on the open market, maybe just not in your area.

Back